Quicklist 4.0

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Quicklist 4.0

Postby Mississippi on Fri May 22, 2020 11:55 am

Everybody hates when their computer goes down, some of us have spares we have used in the past that we can just plug in and off we go again. Sometimes one even gets a little treat when that happens.

My 5 year old Cyberpowerpc shut down wednesday morning after running about 30 laps @ Le Mans in my GTR2 game. I had been hearing the pump on my Asetek 550LC cooling system struggle the past few weeks so it wasn't unexpected that it would quit. Finding out Asetek liquid cooled systems were no longer offered in the United States after some legal wrangling over connection patents was unexpected, and it took a minute to figure out whose system would fit and do the job. That part is ordered and that computer should be operational by the middle of june or so.

Now to that little treat :D when i fired up my old 2012 computer with windows 7 ( that never crashes in links if sound is off in-game and offline play is enabled) there sitting on the desk top was a working version of Terry Herman's Quicklist 4.0 , better yet sitting in the download folder is the executable file.

For those who may not be familiar... Quicklist is a freeware tool developed for links 2k and up.It is compatible with every windows version starting with 95. It keeps track of courses in detail. The name, the author, style, par, length, the file details including course key, ID, and file name. The version, the release date, file size and it tells where it is on your computer. It also has a my data section for each course where you can input things like low score, rate the course, and a 255 characters long my notes section.

It is export friendly, since it can go to text, PDF, RTF, HTML, or excel.

I made sure to move the executable to my external hard drive so the Cyberpowerpc will have it when it roars back to life. It will be nice having the closest thing to a yardage book back again.
Mississippi

Re: Quicklist 4.0

Postby Harpo on Fri May 22, 2020 2:27 pm

I found an old link to Linkscorner for it but it was a dead end.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Paul45 on Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Any Chance of a link?
Paul45

Postby Mississippi on Fri May 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Harpo wrote:I found an old link to Linkscorner for it but it was a dead end.

I think they lost it when they had to redo everything to meet server security protocols .I had looked there several years ago when i realized i didn't have it on my computer or external hard drive.

Paul45 wrote:Any Chance of a link?

I will see if i can't get a dropbox setup going next week that will make it available for 30 days. I will post a link when i get it going.
Mississippi

Postby Paul45 on Sat May 23, 2020 3:37 am

Thanks.
Paul45

Postby Mississippi on Wed May 27, 2020 5:11 pm

https://ufile.io/dur7aik1
Download will be available for 30 days , file is 5.76 mb. Use the free download will be a 6 second download
Mississippi

Postby whisky on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:00 am

Mississippi wrote:Everybody hates when their computer goes down, some of us have spares we have used in the past that we can just plug in and off we go again. Sometimes one even gets a little treat when that happens.

My 5 year old Cyberpowerpc shut down wednesday morning after running about 30 laps @ Le Mans in my GTR2 game. I had been hearing the pump on my Asetek 550LC cooling system struggle the past few weeks so it wasn't unexpected that it would quit. Finding out Asetek liquid cooled systems were no longer offered in the United States after some legal wrangling over connection patents was unexpected, and it took a minute to figure out whose system would fit and do the job. That part is ordered and that computer should be operational by the middle of june or so.

Now to that little treat :D when i fired up my old 2012 computer with windows 7 ( that never crashes in links if sound is off in-game and offline play is enabled) there sitting on the desk top was a working version of Terry Herman's Quicklist 4.0 , better yet sitting in the download folder is the executable file.

For those who may not be familiar... Quicklist is a freeware tool developed for links 2k and up.It is compatible with every windows version starting with 95. It keeps track of courses in detail. The name, the author, style, par, length, the file details including course key, ID, and file name. The version, the release date, file size and it tells where it is on your computer. It also has a my data section for each course where you can input things like low score, rate the course, and a 255 characters long my notes section.

It is export friendly, since it can go to text, PDF, RTF, HTML, or excel.

I made sure to move the executable to my external hard drive so the Cyberpowerpc will have it when it roars back to life. It will be nice having the closest thing to a yardage book back again.

Hey, YOU have PC probs! Well, as you know, I had too. Then Found an old laptop with win XP, and all good, but I was after a a full machine that could do old DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11 etc, saw at local online auction a machine with no real specs, but spotted a bay for a 3" Floppy. So bid and bought ($AU50) It turned out to be an Asus, not quite as good as my old one that died. So installed Win XP, (activation still good though now fully automated with voice recordings!). Once setup all good on main SATA HDD, but also installed an IDE drive for old stuff, can boot up either and see both from whichever I'm on. Installed Links on SATA drive, though I know it would work with the IDE, but no internet. Took a while to get things going, using my large old Graphics card had crashes on some courses, though played ok on laptap. So took out Graphics card, and simply connected via on-board VGA and seems good, though took quite some tweaking to get the screen etc configured to my needs. My main machine an Asus i7 8700 and RTX2060 card and 16GB ram, I use for video and Photo work, and of course Win 10. I refused water cooling as issues occur and if a leak develops, then BANG! Wet MOBO Deceased! As you know, tried links but had huge issues with being disqualified. Now all seems good. Interesting your GTR2 game. I race RR3 on my ipad!

Still love my XP sys!

Eddie
whisky

Postby Mississippi on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:35 pm

whisky wrote:Hey, YOU have PC probs! Well, as you know, I had too. Then Found an old laptop with win XP, and all good, but I was after a a full machine that could do old DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11 etc, saw at local online auction a machine with no real specs, but spotted a bay for a 3" Floppy. So bid and bought ($AU50) It turned out to be an Asus, not quite as good as my old one that died. So installed Win XP, (activation still good though now fully automated with voice recordings!). Once setup all good on main SATA HDD, but also installed an IDE drive for old stuff, can boot up either and see both from whichever I'm on. Installed Links on SATA drive, though I know it would work with the IDE, but no internet. Took a while to get things going, using my large old Graphics card had crashes on some courses, though played ok on laptap. So took out Graphics card, and simply connected via on-board VGA and seems good, though took quite some tweaking to get the screen etc configured to my needs. My main machine an Asus i7 8700 and RTX2060 card and 16GB ram, I use for video and Photo work, and of course Win 10. I refused water cooling as issues occur and if a leak develops, then BANG! Wet MOBO Deceased! As you know, tried links but had huge issues with being disqualified. Now all seems good. Interesting your GTR2 game. I race RR3 on my ipad!

Still love my XP sys!

Eddie

Howdy Eddie,

Your main machine is what you should be playing links with IMO. Most crashes in Links 2k3 are sound related, and ironically that problem presented itself with the release of XP. I remember playing the game with a win 98 OS and having the ability to boot any XP user in a multi-connection fast play game by playing a certain wav. The problem was never identified and addressed then and has passed thru all the OS's since. The cure is unticking everything in your sound options. You still hear the club hit the ball and the sound the ball makes if it hits anything.
Links tour crashes are related to one's ISP and Mark's server constant communication. Playing tour rounds offline eliminates those errors. Those 2 changes will eliminate 99.99% of those crashes.
Dude your playing the game with 64mb graphics when you could be playing with 2gb of that 6gb card, maybe 4gb if you have discovered that x86 patch with another game or application.

I love your ingenuity Eddie, but i don't share your fear of liquid cooling, they are self contained, designed to go 50,000 hours and are quite easy to replace. If a leak were to occur although unlikely it would probably occur at the radiator. Since there is very little pressure on the system it would be the video card and maybe the ethernet card as well, if the leak occurred at the pump it would simply drain out of the bottom of the case and no damage would occur. The 30-40c CPU temp is kinda nice too.

GTR2 is outstanding, almost as old as links 2k3. The folk that play in pro mode are IRacing ready.
Mississippi

Postby whisky on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:39 am

Mississippi wrote:
whisky wrote:Hey, YOU have PC probs! Well, as you know, I had too. Then Found an old laptop with win XP, and all good, but I was after a a full machine that could do old DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11 etc, saw at local online auction a machine with no real specs, but spotted a bay for a 3" Floppy. So bid and bought ($AU50) It turned out to be an Asus, not quite as good as my old one that died. So installed Win XP, (activation still good though now fully automated with voice recordings!). Once setup all good on main SATA HDD, but also installed an IDE drive for old stuff, can boot up either and see both from whichever I'm on. Installed Links on SATA drive, though I know it would work with the IDE, but no internet. Took a while to get things going, using my large old Graphics card had crashes on some courses, though played ok on laptap. So took out Graphics card, and simply connected via on-board VGA and seems good, though took quite some tweaking to get the screen etc configured to my needs. My main machine an Asus i7 8700 and RTX2060 card and 16GB ram, I use for video and Photo work, and of course Win 10. I refused water cooling as issues occur and if a leak develops, then BANG! Wet MOBO Deceased! As you know, tried links but had huge issues with being disqualified. Now all seems good. Interesting your GTR2 game. I race RR3 on my ipad!

Still love my XP sys!

Eddie

Howdy Eddie,

Your main machine is what you should be playing links with IMO. Most crashes in Links 2k3 are sound related, and ironically that problem presented itself with the release of XP. I remember playing the game with a win 98 OS and having the ability to boot any XP user in a multi-connection fast play game by playing a certain wav. The problem was never identified and addressed then and has passed thru all the OS's since. The cure is unticking everything in your sound options. You still hear the club hit the ball and the sound the ball makes if it hits anything.
Links tour crashes are related to one's ISP and Mark's server constant communication. Playing tour rounds offline eliminates those errors. Those 2 changes will eliminate 99.99% of those crashes.
Dude your playing the game with 64mb graphics when you could be playing with 2gb of that 6gb card, maybe 4gb if you have discovered that x86 patch with another game or application.

I love your ingenuity Eddie, but i don't share your fear of liquid cooling, they are self contained, designed to go 50,000 hours and are quite easy to replace. If a leak were to occur although unlikely it would probably occur at the radiator. Since there is very little pressure on the system it would be the video card and maybe the ethernet card as well, if the leak occurred at the pump it would simply drain out of the bottom of the case and no damage would occur. The 30-40c CPU temp is kinda nice too.

GTR2 is outstanding, almost as old as links 2k3. The folk that play in pro mode are IRacing ready.

Can't remember if I ever raced that. But I do remember playing the original Carver Bros 'Leaderboard' golf on my daughters Commodore 64! I still have Links 386 which I will load onto my DOS sys, just for old-times sake. In fact, I think I bought all the iterations of this since the Leaderboard days. I also recall playing Flight Sim when it was a wire framed graphic developed by Sub-Logic. MS of course bought that out in later years and, just like links, dumped it! Wonder how many of our current Links 2003, players, played the old Commadore 64sys.

Actually, my Win 10 sys did not crash on links. It was just that whenever I played online, at some stage it would not be able to send data and seemed to disconnected and end up me being disqualified. I tried all the security settings to no avail. At times it would run for a week or more then again, bang! And off-line still had some issues! It could be either ISP or my NBN modem, as I had the same issues playing online on my i-7 laptop with win 10. Win 7 was never a prob!

Re water cooling, yes, I do take your point. But I have noted over here that they keep changing brand of system. I'm just paranoid!
Anyway, good to hear from you and thanks for the reply!
Eddie B
whisky

Postby rwoodworkr on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:23 am

whisky wrote:...Wonder how many of our current Links 2003, players, played the old Commadore 64sys...

yea.png
yea.png (32.01 KB) Viewed 9475 times
rwoodworkr

Postby whisky on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:50 am

Mississippi wrote:https://ufile.io/dur7aik1
Download will be available for 30 days , file is 5.76 mb. Use the free download will be a 6 second download

Thanks, all done. :)
whisky

Postby whisky on Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:16 am

rwoodworkr wrote:
whisky wrote:...Wonder how many of our current Links 2003, players, played the old Commadore 64sys...

yea.png

Then your hair must be as grey as mine!
:lol:
whisky

Postby Mississippi on Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:45 pm

About a week left on that Quicklist 4.0 download for anyone who wants it. I know the exe works since i got my computer back up and running today and installed it.

I went with a Corsair H60 cooler and it is working nicely so far. Highest recorded temp has been 40C and that included 9 holes of golf in the 2 and a half hours it has been running. i downloaded Core temp 1.15.1 to keep from having to go into the bios to check temp. all the time.
Mississippi

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum