End of my tether

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: End of my tether

Postby whisky on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:32 pm

roysie48 wrote:i disagree ive been playing this on a basic dell laptop never had a problem runs sweet i think the problem is deeper routed something in his system interupting the program

Yes, Roy, almost same in past. From a very very old laptop in years past with, by today's standards, snail processor all ok but slow. Then a Sony Laptop with XP and integrated Intel graphics, once upgraded to new driver was mostly fine, though on HD courses very slow as is my Sony F series i7 Quad core. This new, well, it was 4 years ago, laptop was bought at sony in NY whilst on hols, almost $1000 cheaper than in Oz. And this is the machine giving me stress. And yes, you are exactly right, it is deeply routed and it is the system. Win 7 and nVidia graphics not integrated. Any system running in the background, over which I do not have control, flips it back to desktop screen without warning, any other program, such as Trend, Adobe etc that has spontaneous 'upgrade available' or in the former, report notifications, flips it to desktop or worse crashes the program. I keep mail closed as that too will effect things. I have learnt long ago that to play more than one round risks a crash. Even on my dual core Desktop. I think that there is some seriously bad memory management in Links that MS did not rectify or modify when they bought from over 'Access'. If I could run XP on this laptop it would improve I'm sure though the nVidia is still likely to be a problem but maybe not as much. I dread to think how things are on Win 8. Being an 'Old Dog', I recognise that MS's OS is targeting today's younger generation and 'dumbing' things down...which means for us old DOS users it actually does not make things any easier, in the old sys I feel I had more control, could navigate easily but now things get nested in mind-boggling sub-directores that it takes a PHd to find. Ahhhh, enough

Eddie
whisky

Postby whisky on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:51 pm

roysie48 wrote:i disagree ive been playing this on a basic dell laptop never had a problem runs sweet i think the problem is deeper routed something in his system interupting the program

Yes, Roy, same, my very, very old laptop ran it ok but very slow. My newer one, an FJ series Sony, running XP, was mostly fine, and once I upgraded the integrated Intel graphics it was fine, though very slow on HD courses. But my F series i7 Quad core, running Win 7 pro and independent nVidia Graphics, is terrible. As you said, it is a deeply routed system problem. Background program over which I have no control will kick it to desktop screen, or sometimes completely crash. I have long since learned to exit between rounds else risk a crash with a the dreaded stack overflow message, though it still happens mid play. Much of the prob I attribute to bad memory management, which MS did not fix from the original Access Software programing, as it was originally a Carver Bros DOS program gradually upgraded by Access Software to MS's various windows iterations before MS got hold of it and as we see, ditched it without any interest in fixing probs. At the end they did the same with Flight Sim. But hey, they probably spend trillions on bob the builder! :wink:
Eddie
whisky

Postby whisky on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:53 pm

Mississippi wrote:
whisky wrote:Hey, wer're playing a legacy game decades old it shouldn't need all that grunt! Desktop rarely had probs but now just cannot connect, server error keeps coming up. I use a cooling pad under the laptop but it is not the heat, all that will do is slow down the CPU. Again today, playing a 'fun' par 3, my screen spontaneously exited to the desktop numerous times, happened during a swing and bang! Lost a couple of shots. Then my internet crashed, as usual followed shortly after by my laptop with an overflow stack error. when I finally got running I tried the resume, it loaded, but as almost always, did NOT resume but remained hanging. So had to exit, now of course, I will again be penalised....getting to the stage where there's almost no point in playing!

Eddie

A legacy game that has NEVER EVER played well on a laptop with integrated graphics. Server error problems should be taken up with your ISP as thats likely the area of the problem.

Hi, ta for the comments but see my other reply to Roy. re Server error, no, it's not the ISP as I have connection with links on three other laptops, it's an internal prob with my desktop which I need to sort out. Seem it is a common prob
Cheeers
Eddie
whisky

Postby gibby on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:32 am

Maybe its time to get a free program that turns off your programs running in the background.
Something like Game Booster
http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
Or Iolo system mechanic free
http://download.cnet.com/System-Mechani ... 02452.html
I've been using the Iolo system mechanic paid version for years which has it's own game booster, but the free version also has it.
It's version is called Live Boost and you can select different settings for what your doing (gaming, video editing and other things) See pic.
Not sure what other type software they may install (google tool bar) or others. Don't think the free Iolo does, but not sure.
Turns off all background programs based on what your doing.
Attachments
live boost.jpg
live boost.jpg (122.91 KB) Viewed 10000 times
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby whisky on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:47 am

Exactly! Worked well on two other laptops with integrated intel graphics. The server prob is not my isp but a systems error on XP configuration
Eddie
whisky

Postby whisky on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:40 pm

gibby wrote:Maybe its time to get a free program that turns off your programs running in the background.
Something like Game Booster
http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
Or Iolo system mechanic free
http://download.cnet.com/System-Mechani ... 02452.html
I've been using the Iolo system mechanic paid version for years which has it's own game booster, but the free version also has it.
It's version is called Live Boost and you can select different settings for what your doing (gaming, video editing and other things) See pic.
Not sure what other type software they may install (google tool bar) or others. Don't think the free Iolo does, but not sure.
Turns off all background programs based on what your doing.

Hi Gibby, I did try one prog once but was not anything like I needed. But thanks, will review your suggestions.

Eddie
whisky

Postby CrusherGolfer on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:21 am

Hey, we're playing a legacy game decades old it shouldn't need all that grunt!

Eddie

Trust me, a laptop with Intel graphics has been the bane of many gamers' experience. To really enjoy the game you don't need to spend a lot of money on a computer but relying on "old tech hardware" is going to be a problem.

Why?
1. You may not have enough shared RAM after installing Windows Service Packs and your 3rd party programs.
2. You may simply have too many processes and services running in the background.
3. Your system may be infected or removed infections may have corrupted system files.

First suggestion other than building or buying a new computer for about $400.00 (Windows 7 64 Bit) is to do a clean installation of whatever OS you are using, immediately remove the mfg's included bloatware/security. Install MSE/MBAM and move on to Windows Updates. Get them all manually and then install Links 2003 with patches. Since you do not use nvidia video chips then only install two patches. The on that has the address to lspn.net and 1.07 so you have nice upgrades to the game.

A computer is 1/3 the cost it was back then and getting a decent mini or mid tower for easy upgrades is best for all gamers (unless their lives are very mobile).

Here is what everyone dealt with back in the day for video.

Video Cards/Drivers (listed alphabetically)

General Note for NVIDIA 3D Graphics Cards:
To minimize potential problems, it is highly recommended that you update to the latest drivers for your video card before playing Links 2003. Problems with old video card drivers are listed cards.

AOpen PA-256MX
If you are experiencing problems starting a round in 32bit color with the AOpen PA-256MX, download the latest AOpen drivers and install them.

AOpen PA-3000+
If you have trouble with the background showing up black under the menu items in the UI, download and install the latest drivers from AOpen for the AOpen Pa 3000+.

AOpen PA-3000
When using retail drivers for AOpen PA-3000 in Windows ME, Links 2003 may lock up. Updating to the latest AOpen drivers or latest NVIDIA drivers fixes the problem.

Asus V-6800
When using retail drivers on Asus V-6800 and Windows ME and in 32-bit display mode, the golfer animation may be rendered over the pop-up menus. This problem is fixed with the latest drivers.

Asus V-7700
If you are experiencing problems getting the Asus V-7700 32 Mb to work properly with Links, install the latest NVIDIA drivers for the card.

Asus V-8200 Deluxe
Links 2003 may up with retail and the latest drivers on Asus V-8200 Deluxe with Windows ME. This problem is fixed with the reference NVIDIA drivers.

Asus V3400Game
When using the Asus V3400Game, Links 2003 may not start. Updating to the latest NVIDIA drivers for this chipset fixes the problem.

ATI Radeon 7500 64M
Links 2003 locks up with retail drivers on ATI Radeon 7500 64M and Windows 98SE. The latest ATI Drivers solve this problem.

ATI Radeon DDR
All seams between different types of terrain on golf course are rendering black on ATI Radeon DDR 64M and Windows 98SE. This problem is fixed with the latest drivers.

ATI Rage Fury Maxx
If you run into slow game play on a Rage Fury Maxx, update to the latest drivers from ATI.

Creative Graphics Blaster Riva TNT
If you are experiencing problems getting the Creative Graphics Blaster Riva TNT to work properly with Links 2003, install the latest NVIDIA drivers for the card.

Diamond Viper Z200
When using a Diamond Viper Z200 (S3 Savage 2000) in Windows 98 SE, the Top Cam may be completely black. There is no known solution. Contact the manufacturer about this problem.
When using a Diamond Viper Z200 (S3 Savage 2000) in Windows 98 SE, the menu screens may be divided into boxes. There is no known solution. Contact the manufacturer about this problem.
When using all drivers for Diamond Viper Z200 (S3 Savage 2000) in Windows 98 SE, Links 2003 may lock up. Contact the manufacturer for updated drivers.

Diamond Viper 11 Z200
When using all drivers on Diamond Viper 11 Z200 in WindowsME, the swing gauge may experience problems with its graphics when the Post Shot Selection dialog appears. There are no known updates to fix this problem. Contact Diamond for updated drivers.

Diamond Viper V550
If you are using the retail drivers for this card, some of the course foliage may be rendered improperly or not appear at all. If this occurs, contact Diamond for the latest drivers.

Elsa Gloria II
Black portions of Menus/Gameplay screens may render opaque in 32 bit mode on an Elsa Gloria II(NVIDIA Quadro) with Windows 2000. This problem is fixed with the latest NVIDIA reference drivers.

GeForce 4 Ti 4200
When using the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128 MB card with the 2742 drivers from NVIDIA installed, Links 2003 may not recognize that a 3D card is installed. Updating the drivers to 4.13.01.2832 should fix the problem.

Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor 32
If you are using the retail drivers for this card, you may be unable to proceed past the main menu screen. If this occurs, contact Guillemot for the latest drivers, or download them at http://www.guillemot.com.
Launching Links 2003 may lock up your computer when using the Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor 32(NVIDIA TNT2) w/ the retail drivers (Windows ME). The latest NVIDIA reference drivers solve this problem.

Hercules 3D Prophet
The game is unplayable in 32 bit display mode settings with retail drivers on Hercules 3D Prophet and Windows 98 SE. This problem is fixed with the latest reference drivers.

Hercules 3D Prophet II
If you are experiencing problems getting the Hercules 3D Prophet II to work properly with Links, install the latest NVIDIA drivers for the card.

IBM Net Vista 6840-P2U
When using the IBM Net Vista 6840-P2U, the Main Menu has transparency effect. Update to the latest drivers to fix the problem.

Intel 815
When using an Intel 815 video card with Windows XP, the Swing Indicator in the Post Shot Selection screen is corrupted. There is no known fix. Contact Intel about new drivers.
Links 2003 will not run in a “Windowed” mode when using an Intel 815 video chipset. There is no known fix. Contact Intel for updated drivers.

Intel 82854g/gl
Links 2003 has graphical corruption issues on the Intel 82854g/gl graphics controller. Contact Intel for updated drivers.

Kyro II
The Kyro II chipset has several known issues with Links 2003. This chipset is officially unsupported by the game.

Kyro Power VR
The Power VR Kyro I and the Power VR Kyro II video chipsets are not supported by Links 2003.

Matrox G200
The Matrox G200 may have problems rendering blended seams. The latest drivers do not fix this. Contact Matrox for possible solutions.

Matrox Marvel G400
Using this video card, Links 2003 may hang at launch on Windows ME. The latest drivers from Matrox fix this problem.

Matrox Millennium G400
When using retail drivers for Matrox Millenium G400 on Windows 98 SE, in 16-bit color, golfer body parts may disappear. Updating to the latest drivers fixes the problem.

Matrox Millennium G450
When using retail drivers for Matrox Millennium G450 on Windows ME, the screen may go black when starting Links 2003. Contact Matrox for updated drivers.
Launching the game may lock up the computer using Windows ME Contact Matrox to see if updated drivers exist for this video card.

Maxi Gamer Cougar
If you are experience problems getting the Maxi Gamer Cougar 32M to work properly with Links, install the latest NVIDIA drivers for the card.

NVIDIA (General)
If you are experience slow poly golfer movements with the 21.83 version of the NVIDIA Windows XP drivers, update to the latest drivers for your video card.

PNY GeForce4 MX 420
When using the default drivers for PNY GeForce4 MX 420 (64 MB), you may have rendering problems such as shadows and transparencies clipping and flickering. Installing the latest Detonator drivers from http://www.nvidia.com resolves all issues with this card.

S3 Supersavage
There have been some documented issues with the S3 Supersavage chipset, specifically in the Toshiba Tecra 9000 laptop computers.
Links 2003 may not run on the laptops screen, however when plugged in to a separate monitor it runs fine. We suggest contacting S3 and/or Toshiba for updated drivers to this video card.
User may see strange textures when Links 2003 renders in between screens, it does not affect game play. Please contact S3 and/or Toshiba for latest drivers.

SiS 315
When using retail drivers for SiS 315 in Windows XP, the golfer shadow may not appear. Updating to the latest drivers fixes the problem.

Tecra 8200
Users may experience graphical anomalies with the polygonal golfer when using this card. Please contact Tecra about a video card driver update for this video card.

Trident CyberBlade XP
When using all drivers on the Trident CyberBlade XP 16 MB and Windows 2000, the mouse cursor redraws repeatedly on the pre game UI. Contact Trident for an update.
When using all drivers on the Trident CyberBlade XP 16 MB and Windows 2000, the cameras render all black. Contact Trident for updated drivers.
When using all drivers on the Trident CyberBlade XP 16 Mb and Windows 2000, some or all of the on screen gauges and displays may flash when moving the pointer. Contact Trident for updated drivers.

Viper 770
If you experience problems getting the Viper 770 to work properly with Links 2003, install the latest NVIDIA drivers for the card.

VisionTek GeForce3
When using the retail drivers for VisionTek GeForce3 in Windows XP, in 16-bit color, the golfer legs may disappear. Updating to the latest VisionTek drivers or the latest NVIDIA drivers fixes the problem.

Voodoo 3
If you have problems starting Links 2003 while running Windows 98, update to the latest 3DFX driver.

Voodoo 3 3000
When using Voodoo 3 3000 in Windows 98 SE, the upper portion of screen may have graphical corruption. Updating to the latest drivers fixes this.

Voodoo Banshee
The Voodoo Banshee chipset will not work with Links 2003 on the Windows 98 SE operating system.
CrusherGolfer

Previous

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum