Crashing When Going Into Graphics Settings

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: Crashing When Going Into Graphics Settings

Postby Redskin on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Bassmaster wrote:So Jim, should I change my compatibility mode to Windows 7?

I am running Win7 (64-bit) and the first thing I did after getting this computer and installing Links2003 was to change compatibility to WinXP service pack 3 and I've never had problems. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I would sure try it and see if it helps you (or Gibby). If it does not help, you can always go back and change it.
Jim
Redskin

Postby Bassmaster on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:12 pm

I tried changing to the Windows 7, it crashed. I did manage to change the graphic settings in 'safe mode' but when I tried to enter graphic setting in normal mode I crashed. I appreciate all the help Guys but I not very computer savvy. I tried the direct x diagnostic tool search but I came up empty on that one. I would un-check the anti-aliasing one but I don't know how to get to that point.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Redskin on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:26 pm

You should have changed the compatibility mode to WinXP Service Pack 3, not Win7. When you right-click on a blank area of the desktop, you should see your video card control page right at the top. Then click on that and look around for AA and set it to either OFF or use application setting.
I have a AMD card, but I don't know what video card you have so I don't want to tell you how to set your graphic settings up like mine if you don't have the same type card. :)
Jim
Redskin

Postby gibby on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:25 am

Bassmaster wrote:I tried changing to the Windows 7, it crashed. I did manage to change the graphic settings in 'safe mode' but when I tried to enter graphic setting in normal mode I crashed. I appreciate all the help Guys but I not very computer savvy. I tried the direct x diagnostic tool search but I came up empty on that one. I would un-check the anti-aliasing one but I don't know how to get to that point.

Have you been able to find and open your graphics control panel?
If so the anti-aliasing may be under Custom Settings. My wife's laptop had it inside other features, so I had to dig a little to find it.
Would be nice to know which card you have, Inside the game when you get to the options page, at the bottom there's a system info button. See if that opens and then it should list type of card.
As for the compatibility mode so far using Win XP mode or W7 I have not seen any change on my system, BUT that doesn't mean you will not!
Last edited by gibby on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby gibby on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:15 am

Just my experience so far: Using XP service pack 2 or 3 when I try and go into graphics settings the game crashes sometimes 3-4 times b-4 it opens. I have found if I try and open say golfer settings and then graphic it works but not all the time.
Using W7 compatibility works fine.
Biggest issue I have is missing the stick in the fairways and on the greens the break indicator is there but missing the stick on the end. Then having lines across the screen on some courses but not others.
My golfer and tee box are all visible, ball flight comes and goes (doesn't show at all in overhead cam anymore).
I'm using 1280 x 768 32bit and have tried going up & down with no luck. Going higher has made golfer disappear (1360 x768, 1366 x 768, 1440 x 900) But again that's my experience with my card/system
All the above is the same if playing in XP 2-3 or W7 mode.
I did add my card to the video.txt file and have added/removed flags with no good results.
I also just downloaded the newest driver 10/24/2014 and don't see much difference so far.

So I think the best we can do is to get Bassmaster to be able to open graphics and adjust resolution to a point of being able to play somewhat. How we go about it is now the test :lol:
I've seen lowering resolution brings the bottom of the screen (golfer/lie indicator/display, club options) back to where you can see them better. The answer it out here just keep trying.

edit: Also have turned Draw Shadows off/Show animated flags off/Dynamic camera off. Using clear skies/Panoramic except on green use close-up. Adjusted these setting and gotten no clear cut results.
gibby

Postby Bassmaster on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:43 am

Everything your just said Gibby is what I experiencing!
I'm using: Window XP service pack 3 setting
video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
Direct X Version: 4.09.00.0904 (Direct X 9.0)

PS. I using the same monitor that I was using with my old Vista system in which I had no problems.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Bassmaster on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:47 am

OK, I clicked on golfer settings, sound settings, and was able to get into graphic settings. Changed it to 1280 x 768 32 bit. Will check it out. Maybe I will try to get an updated Intel 4400 program.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby gibby on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:48 am

Try this and give us the info, you may need to add your card to the video.txt file is may help.

Would be nice to know which card you have, Inside the game when you get to the options page, at the bottom there's a system info button. See if that opens and then it should list type of card.

will give us the device id info!

edit: Will be around most of tomorrow and the weekend so keep in touch. Will help as much as possible :lol:
gibby

Postby Bassmaster on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:49 am

video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400

Should I just copy and paste this into the video text file?
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby gibby on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Nope we need Id# & device #
Attachments
system.png
system.png (99.21 KB) Viewed 20791 times
gibby

Postby gibby on Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:05 am

We know you have this Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 so your vendor id is 0x8086, now we need device ID.
Then we can get you into the videocard.txt to add your card. the file is inside your Links 2003 folder.
Which should be in C:Program Files or Program Files (x86)/ Microsoft Games/ Links 2003
When you get there you'll need to scroll down to the Intel section that looks like the pic
The 1 in red is mine that I added a few weeks ago. And I've changed mine without any flags.
This is when you need device ID and need to type in your ID (example) 0x000 = "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400"
Then if you want you can copy and paste the Flags, Bad8888, NoMipMap under your card. They may work they may not, that's what I've been trying to do to see if it fixes anything on mine. So far the flags are not helping. :lol:
The only other thing I mention is when saving this afterwards is if you have permission to edit the file. I had to change permission on mine to save, but we will worry about that if it happens.
Attachments
video.jpg
video.jpg (55.38 KB) Viewed 20641 times
gibby

Postby Bassmaster on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:30 am

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 (vendorID:0x8086 DeviceID:0x041E)
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby gibby on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:46 pm

Bassmaster wrote:Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 (vendorID:0x8086 DeviceID:0x041E)

Ok so you need it to look like this, and add it to the video card.txt file I mentioned above
0x041E = "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400"
gibby

Postby Bassmaster on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:20 pm

I'll try that.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Bassmaster on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:24 am

"Access denied".
Rick

The Century Club