Game crashes ....

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Game crashes ....

Postby millratt on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:23 pm

Rebuilt pc last weekend, fresh install win7.
I can start game, i cannot click anything in game without a crash to desktop.
I can sign in to online trnys though and get to list of games, clickin play there also crashes.
Rebuilt system for other games i play, mainly World of Tanks, but i still love my links golf.

New pc stuff; mobo -cpu-ram-and gpu(gtx770 w/344.11 driver)
Just guessin that vid driver may be causeing issue, not sure how old a driver i can use.
Any help or suggestions will be appreciated, thanks; millratt
millratt

Re: Game crashes ....

Postby MimicPS on Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:22 am

Hi,

As a starting point, make sure first of all that your LinksMMIII exe file is set to run with Administrator privilege.

Make sure you have patched up to 1.07 to address various issues and to give you access to changing game graphic resolutions easily through control rather than via registry edit.

Then, have a look with game (Graphics set-up) at the various resolutions available and, where possible, match that to your native desktop resolution. Most graphic drivers shouldn't pose a problem, but Links in its raw state does need help to cope with the newer cards, so the patching is required.

Also look at the top of this forum area and that of the main board to patch for Links issues such as viewing conditions crash and server updates.

That is the best starting point to work from, so that we rule out a few of the more routine issues. Please do post back to tell of progress or lack of and the 'Brains Trust' here at LSPN will, I'm sure, be able to help out with some of the deeper issues you may encounter.

EDIT: Using the same card and driver set-up on Windows 7 environment here, so know I know it should be sound. Hopefully having kit that matches will mean we can get things working fairly quickly.
Mike (MimicPS)
LSPN European Tour - Home of the Euro36 Stroke & Handicap Events
Informal and Championship rounds every week at LSPN
http://is.gd/eurotour
MimicPS

Postby millratt on Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Reinstalled Links, patches are in, I can get in game without crashin but.....
Now when in practice or new round, golfer vanishes when I hit (6oclock swing meter) and does not return.
Click swing meter to change club, draw, fade etc arrows show up but no clubs, scrolling over with pointer shows clubs yards
and swing meter shows correct yards for club chosen.
Going to mess with in game graphic settings, see if can get something diff to happen.
millratt

Postby MimicPS on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Yep,

I ran into problems myself with that when settling on the "sweet spot" for my set up after upgrading.

Not sure if it will be of any use to you, and how closely the rest of our specs match up, but on mine I run a native desktop resolution of 1920x1080 with an in-game resolution of the same.

Also, don't force Links to run anti-aliasing through your NVidia control panel. That may well be a cause of the anomaly you are seeing.

Good to hear we moved it on a bit... I'm sure with some tinkering we'll get there.
Mike (MimicPS)
MimicPS

Postby millratt on Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:14 pm

I thinck were there, set AA to off in NVidia control panel for Links and all seems to be well again.

Thank you very much for youre help, there is a couple cold ones waitin for ya in the clubhouse.

millratt
millratt

Postby MimicPS on Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Good to hear. I'll take you up on those cold ones.... :wink: :lol:
Mike (MimicPS)
MimicPS

Postby rwoodworkr on Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Good man, Mike.
For a bit there, I thought Terrell was back in the house, with his anti-aliasing advice. Glad it worked out for millratt.
rwoodworkr

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum