Computer rebooted as soon as I shut down Links

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Computer rebooted as soon as I shut down Links

Postby Pappy on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:30 am

I'm not going to pursue this too much as I don't think Links is the cause except for the timing of it. Occasionally (maybe once a month) my computer (Vista64) would reboot for no apparent reason. Happened after finishing a online Links game (lspn online) as soon as I clicked Exit I heard a clicking sound (not sure from where as I where hearing aids both ears and you lose directionality with them) and it started to reboot. Checked event logs and APC logs but couldn't find anything (some of the event logs are kinda Greek to me anyway). Now I'm pretty sure Links didn't cause it but the timing was too perfect where it was click-bam. :o . Does anyone know (I know there are a lot of techies here) of a program built in or not that would log things going on in computer that would tell me what caused the reboot (even a techy one would be alright if there was decent help file with it, etc). Anyway just throwing this out if anyone has any ideas. Thanks. (btw had a good game glad it didn't reboot in the middle; I know always resume but sometimes that doesn't work).
Pappy (Pete)
Pappy

Re: Computer rebooted as soon as I shut down Links

Postby Pappy on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:08 pm

Update on above problem. I opened Links and when I clicked Online got message that I can't play a game until I have at least one course installed. Well guess what ALL my games disappeared. Must have been related to the reboot I had after exiting Links but don't have a clue what. Any ideas. Can a virus do that and why would they. I'm sure I'm virus free as I have Norton IS 2014 and do Malwarebyte scans at least a couple times a week (they go pretty quick). So time to reinstall the games :D (trying to keep a happy face as at least I have backups of all my games - albeit around 500 but oh well.)
Pappy (Pete)
Pappy

Postby BruceWallace on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:43 pm

Pappy wrote:Update on above problem. I opened Links and when I clicked Online got message that I can't play a game until I have at least one course installed. Well guess what ALL my games disappeared. Must have been related to the reboot I had after exiting Links but don't have a clue what. Any ideas. Can a virus do that and why would they. I'm sure I'm virus free as I have Norton IS 2014 and do Malwarebyte scans at least a couple times a week (they go pretty quick). So time to reinstall the games :D (trying to keep a happy face as at least I have backups of all my games - albeit around 500 but oh well.)

Try to add the courses again through Course Manager. First, go the the folder, on your hard drive, where you have/had the courses to see if they are still there.

If not, you may have a virus.
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
Viet Nam Vet - 1970 - 1971
BruceWallace

Postby Pappy on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:57 pm

BruceWallace wrote:Try to add the courses again through Course Manager. First, go the the folder, on your hard drive, where you have/had the courses to see if they are still there.

Well it took a lot less time to reinstall. 12 folders worth in about 5 mins :D (lots of practice over the years I guess). Anyway they stuck - we'll see what happens down the road. If it's a virus I would call it the hate :evil: .Links2003.game virus - weird virus it would be Bruce. I'll post if I ever find the answer, of course, in case others "catch" it 8). (I like these smilies)
Pappy (Pete)
Pappy

Postby BruceWallace on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Pappy wrote:
BruceWallace wrote:Try to add the courses again through Course Manager. First, go the the folder, on your hard drive, where you have/had the courses to see if they are still there.

Well it took a lot less time to reinstall. 12 folders worth in about 5 mins :D (lots of practice over the years I guess). Anyway they stuck - we'll see what happens down the road. If it's a virus I would call it the hate :evil: .Links2003.game virus - weird virus it would be Bruce. I'll post if I ever find the answer, of course, in case others "catch" it 8). (I like these smilies)

I am glad that they were all still there!
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
Viet Nam Vet - 1970 - 1971
BruceWallace

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum