Random Crashes

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Random Crashes

Postby wsdave on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:51 pm

My system is an Asus SLI Deluxe motherboard running an AMD Phenom 9500 Quad 2.21 Ghz processor with 6 GB ram installed.
The operating system is Windows 7 Home which is fully updated. My video card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450. The drivers are fully updated. Video is set to 800x600 32 bit color, hardware rendering is on and I'm running Directx 9.0.
I've installed the Links2ks_107 patch and the LSPN_MAIN_L2K3 patch.
I run Advast antivirus and Advanced System Care in the background. Not aware of any other major programs running.
Lately I'm getting random crashes while in the game. Most of the time it occurs while playing however, I have noticed recently that even attempting to look at the course conditions will stop Links from running and return me to the desktop.
I have attempted to play offline however, I'm connected to cable and cannot disconnect from internet.
I've heard that some background programs will affect Links however, I never had a problem with programs when running XP.
Is there anything else I could adjust or change?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
wsdave

Re: Random Crashes

Postby Redskin on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:41 pm

You might want to go over to Links Corner and read this post.
I had the same problem with Avast and I switched to AVG (free) and everything is back to normal now.
Jim

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 543#289543
Redskin

Postby wsdave on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks for the reply Redskin.
I have tried everything, including running msconfig and shutting all unneeded processes EXCEPT Avast!
I think you hit the nail on the head.
I will try AVG.
Thanks again - I'll let you know.
Dave
wsdave

Postby rwoodworkr on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:31 pm

wsdave wrote:...I have attempted to play offline however, I'm connected to cable and cannot disconnect from internet.

When you play offline, I believe that you are only disconnected from the LSPN server . This is how I play, and it solves any connection issues that may occur during a round. As an added advantage, it very minimally speeds up play.
In the past, whenever my antivirus would run a system scan, it would occasionally kick me out of the game, so I set scans to run only manually. Also, you could try a program like 'Razer Game Booster', which shuts off many conflicting background programs. Then your current game can hog your computer resources unimpeded.

wsdave wrote:...I have noticed recently that even attempting to look at the course conditions will stop Links from running and return me to the desktop...

Also, you need to run this:

LSPN View Conditions Crash Fix:
http://www.lspn.net/downloads/LSPN_CRASH_FIX.exe
After downloading from link above, double-click the file to install.
rwoodworkr

Postby wsdave on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:00 am

SUCCESS!!!! :D
I want to thank you both for your help. I'm not sure what exactly solved the issue but I did install AVG and I did forget about that LSPN_CRASH_FIX patch :oops:
Anyway - all seems good as I have no issues (so far) and even posted a fantastic round!
Thanks again for all your help.
Dave
wsdave

Postby Redskin on Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Good to hear you got it all fixed and everything is working like it should.
Jim
Redskin

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum