Unnamed Course

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Unnamed Course

Postby gd5150 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:24 am

In my course list on Links I have like 30-40 "unnamed course" listings in with my other courses. When I try to delete them it says to insert cd.

I figured out that if I go into my all users/application data/Links 2003/course data/ there is 1 file that is not an STA file. Its "course.dat". I moved it out to the desktop as a test, and it removes all of the unnamed course listings from Links.

My guess is that this is caused either by copying courses directly to the course library, or installing the courses to the course library via Links.

Just wondered if anyone else has seen this, and if this course.dat file serves any purpose.

Using Windows XP via Bootcamp on IMAC
gd5150

Re: Unnamed Course

Postby SteveFr on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:00 am

Yes Greg I did see this a few years ago, although in my case it was only 3 or 4 courses. If I remember correctly the only cure was to reinstall the affected courses when the need came to play one of them. The difficulty, of course, is identifying which courses are affected from the list.

I always assumed that some kind of corruption had occurred but I was not sure where. Possibly in the course files or maybe in the course.dat file. I was under the impression (though I would happily be corrected) that the course.dat file held the course list information so I am surprised that any courses work if it is removed. Unless it recreates itself automatically. I may well be wrong about all of that.
SteveFr

Re: Unnamed Course

Postby Armand on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:32 pm

I've seen that once as well - many unnamed courses in my list. I wasn't sure if it was perhaps because Links was running when I copied courses into the folder or what the issue was. Like you, I deleted the courses.dat file, which removed ALL courses from my Course Manager, so I had to re-add them all. You can find out which courses are "unnamed" by looking at the listing in the course manager; this shows the path and filename to the CRZ file in the top half of the screen.

I have 4 courses that remain unnamed, but I believe it is because the designer forgot to put a name for the course into the APCD:
    Chibougamau, v2 (2001 Beta, Andrew Cote)
    Nine Bridges (2001 Beta, Bud McNeil)
    The DOH Course at Willow Lake (2004 Imaginary, Mike Giblock)
    Maple Hills - 9 Holes (2004 Beta, Jeff Curtiss)
Armand
Armand

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum