Cant connect through MatchMaker, Can someone help me please?

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Cant connect through MatchMaker, Can someone help me please?

Postby LT_FogHorn on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:24 am

I have tried connecting through Direct Connection and all i ever get is "Connection Failed". I tried various things.
I called my Internet Provider and they had me to change a few things but they say it is no longer their problem and that I need "Manufacturers support" . I know MS no longer supports this so I dont know what else to do. I suspect it may be my internet settings but just dont know exactly what it could be. I have tried disabling my XP firewall, Mcafee firewall seperately and together.
My IP changed my IP passthrough to Enabled, but that didnt help.
I have changed my XP Trusted sites to "LOW" security, but still no help.
I would like to go into my registry and see if it is correct, but not sure where to look.
Can someone help me please, I am at wits end.

sincerely, Pat
LT_FogHorn

Postby jovice on Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:45 pm

I'm german. Schau mal hier nach und gebe die entsprechenden Ports in Deinem Router frei.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;330382

Ich hoffe ich konnte helfen.

Gruß aus Deutschland
Greets from Germany
jovice

Postby LT_FogHorn on Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:23 pm

Thanks for all of your replies. I seemed to have gotten the problem corrected.

Thanks again, Pat
LT_FogHorn

Postby terrell on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:38 am

what did you do to correct the problem?
terrell

Postby LT_FogHorn on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:40 am

I don't remember you offering your expertise while I struggled to find an answer. :lol: :wink:
LT_FogHorn

Postby BruceWallace on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:35 pm

LT_FogHorn wrote:I don't remember you offering your expertise while I struggled to find an answer. :lol: :wink:

Bahahahaha! I bet some folks were actually at work during the time you asked and found your own solution.

I hope you and Terrell fun each other often. If not, you are a chump. :wink:
BruceWallace

Postby RR_widowmaker on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:32 pm

I've had this problem for a long time :( , never have figured out whats wrong. Dirrect connect works great and can host and join from here...
RR_widowmaker

Postby LT_FogHorn on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:26 pm

BruceWallace wrote:
LT_FogHorn wrote:I don't remember you offering your expertise while I struggled to find an answer. :lol: :wink:

Bahahahaha! I bet some folks were actually at work during the time you asked and found your own solution.

I hope you and Terrell fun each other often. If not, you are a chump. :wink:

Maybe ur the chump Bruce. If you did a little research you'd see I asked this question before with no help either.
LT_FogHorn

Please, it's the new year, let's be civil

Postby HeavySwinger on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:39 pm

Foghorn,

Terrell is the most helpful guy here and at the old site over many years. If you check his post count, in just the six months this beta site has been up, he has posted over 500 times, many of those to help others with trouble.

Connection problems are extremely difficult to help with since so very many things can contribute to the problem. Often with the description given in these types of posts, most of us are at a loss to provide help. It would be very helpful if you posted the final resolution to your problem so others who are having similar problems might be able to search these threads and find a solution.

By the way, Gandpa Bruce is also one of our best members here over the years and you have also managed to insult him. :shock:
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby grim_x on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:17 pm

yep, what Larry said.
If T knew the answer, he'd be the first to chime in. Only reason he asked was to add to his data base, so that next time, he could be more helpful to someone else. I guess you'd rather that nobody else had any help. Hope you keep on watching this forum for the day that you can do something, oh wait, you don't care, you'd rather just sit back and insult people. D'oh how could I be so s.t.u.p.i.d, aside from the obvious, of course.
grim_x

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:20 am

LT, the point is that everyone tries to help everyone else. every solution to a particular problem that is posted here will help a fellow member somewhere down the line. some calls for help are not addressed immediately because the problem is unique, and even the tech studs are not fully informed. that is especially the case with direct connection, matchmaker etc on this site because we have such a short history with those hookups on this site so far.

anything that you can contribute to the technical database vis a vis your problem, would be appreciated. lw

_______
Larry_Warrilow

Postby terrell on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:54 am

aaaccckkk! i missed a good one. foghorn, i assure you, if i had any idea, and if anyone else had an idea, we woulda chimed in. but larry, grim, and lw are totally correct, the direct connect and match maker problems have been going on for so long, and there are so many variables. there just haven't been any magic pills posted that i've seen (or understood anyway). and, personally, i'm just not inclined to post 'i don't know, hopefully there will be someone with an answer along shortly'. that always seems so lame.

but i do understand where foghorn's coming from. personally, the guys here have answered hundreds of my questions. so i'm pretty indebted to try giving back. but if the only question i ever had seemed to go on ignored, would i feel the same need to give back? hmmmm, i'm pondering. since i owe everyone here, i'm just not in a position to know what my mindset would be. but i would hope i would attempt to lend my expertise, whether i got my personal questions answered or not.
terrell

Postby LT_FogHorn on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:09 am

Ok...Apologies to all!
As far as how was it fixed. I cannot say for sure. Internet Provider had me enable my "Internet Passthrough", I also had to turn off my mcafee firewall, and lower my internet security settings. I suspect the Passthrough and the lower settings was the correct combo.

Pat
LT_FogHorn

Postby terrell on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:35 am

lol. no problem. from your initial post, i was giving you the benefit of the doubt for knowing all the easy stuff to try (turning off firewall, decreasing security settings). as has been discussed here several times, i tend to overlook the easy stuff and make everything a thermodynamics problem.

i'll keep racking my little mind to come up with the ultimate answer (without dmz'ing firewalls and lowering security settings), as i'm sure many others will also. in the meantime, i'll keep referring to:

http://www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Links/Linksindex.htm
terrell

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum