Multi-player prob

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Multi-player prob

Postby Al_Frescoe on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:53 am

Perhaps not a problem for Mark, but just thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone else has seen such a prob.

GaryTee and I were playing in Larry Warilow's champ tourney at Bighorn. We played round 3 together online with no problems. We were very close (scorewise) so we decided to go with round 4 online. As soon as we began Gary said he had a problem. His wind meter was completley on the other side of the screen. He hit the shot and we could not even see the ball leave, but it ended up thousands of yards into the void. Needless to say, we tried a resume but he was DQd. When I tried to resume I was given the oppurtunity to "finish as a single", not sure if that would have been allowed, but I declined hoping that we would be able to resume. Alas, no.

Anyway, someday I will be able to finish one of these tourneys, I hope anyway. Great shooting Gary, was fun while it lasted. The multi-player feature is really, really nice (when it works). I have posted a link to a screenshot below.

Happy New Year.

Al

Al_Frescoe

Postby Freefaller on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:58 am

Too bad he couldn't have kept the first shot in play. The only time I've had that wind meter problem (mine was only about a 1/3 across the screen) every 2nd shot went in the cup. LOL no matter how far away I was or how badly I hit.
I reserve the right to be completly wrong
Freefaller

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:18 pm

Have seen this on a few occasions and all those times it was caused by one of the online players having a corrupt .crz file. Download / reinstall from a reliable source should take care of the problem.

I see from the image it was Bighorn (LS), so if a "download" is necessary, don't ask here or Terrell will have a cow! :lol:
HTP_ErnieB

Postby KCJammer on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:17 pm

More than a BILLION inches from the pin??? !!!

This just goes to prove what I've been trying to tell people for years ...

The penalty for a missed snap at Champ level is way too severe. :lol:
KCJammer

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:10 pm

it's unfortunate that the guys had to play three rounds before the trouble. i had gone to the trouble of posting no reQ in the event title, so that all players know in advance that certain kinds of play which might raise the odds of a possible deQ will be risky. i've never seen that particular defect before and it would have had me stumped. all four days were at breezy with a greens mostly f/f with varied pins, so the sudden hurricane force wind is pretty weird. lw

______
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Al_Frescoe on Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:50 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:it's unfortunate that the guys had to play three rounds before the trouble. i had gone to the trouble of posting no reQ in the event title, so that all players know in advance that certain kinds of play which might raise the odds of a possible deQ will be risky. i've never seen that particular defect before and it would have had me stumped. all four days were at breezy with a greens mostly f/f with varied pins, so the sudden hurricane force wind is pretty weird. lw

______

Interesting that you said all 4 rounds were breezy. I do recall round 3 being no wind.

The reason I mention the "no wind" thing is that when Gary first told me of the problem, he mentioned that it has happened to him several times in the past and he explicitly said that it was after a "no wind" round.

By the way, we were aware of the NO REQ policy, and frankly, that’s one of the main reasons I choose to play in your tourneys Larry. I've have some bad luck finishing lately however. I really do prefer the online multi-player option though, shame it's a bit dicey.

Happy New Year

Al
Al_Frescoe

Postby Al_Frescoe on Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:53 am

KCJammer wrote:More than a BILLION inches from the pin??? !!!

This just goes to prove what I've been trying to tell people for years ...

The penalty for a missed snap at Champ level is way too severe. :lol:

:P
Al_Frescoe

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:26 am

al is, of course, correct, the third round is a no wind round. all four rounds are at f/f, hence my mistake. if, as gary declares, this very odd calamity is indeed dependent on a previous no wind round, he may be on to a very rare quirk in the game code, or possibly his own machine configuration. in any case, it's a shame both players were blown out, because they were playing well in tough green conditions. lw

_______
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Al_Frescoe on Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:12 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:al is, of course, correct, the third round is a no wind round. all four rounds are at f/f, hence my mistake. if, as gary declares, this very odd calamity is indeed dependent on a previous no wind round, he may be on to a very rare quirk in the game code, or possibly his own machine configuration. in any case, it's a shame both players were blown out, because they were playing well in tough green conditions. lw

_______

The adventure continues ...

Soooooo, I loaded links this morning and that message offering to resume my previous Links Tour game came up again. I was not really ready to play but I clicked "yes". Lo and behold it let me play the round. I think that since I did not hit a shot in the previous multi-player round that the game allowed me to finish as a single.

Anyway, at least it let one of us finish.

Cheers

Al
Al_Frescoe

Postby KCJammer on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:16 am

That's interesting, but it does make sense. Have you been back in touch with Gary? Has he attempted to play the final round? I realize he's already hit a shot, but it's certainly worth checking out.
KCJammer

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:33 am

al, even though gary's first shot was a weird disaster, did he try a rehit (stroke and distance penalty from the tee)? if the wind was just as idiotic as it was on the original tee shot the problem would have been unsolvable. but if the wind returned to what it should have been, even with a stroke and distance penalty, you guys would have been in business. lw

_______
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Al_Frescoe on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:55 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:al, even though gary's first shot was a weird disaster, did he try a rehit (stroke and distance penalty from the tee)? if the wind was just as idiotic as it was on the original tee shot the problem would have been unsolvable. but if the wind returned to what it should have been, even with a stroke and distance penalty, you guys would have been in business. lw

_______

Yup, he did try to rehit, with the same results.
Al_Frescoe

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:03 am

interestingly, gary's line score has not been tagged as yet with an N/A which usually means a deQ. he may still be in it. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum