game plays in slow motion

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

game plays in slow motion

Postby SouthCityGolf on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:08 pm

game was fine w/ME.......loaded XP....couldn't see my ball or player........dropped in a new video card(Radeon 9250 256mb ddr)......i can see everything(including my player and the ball) but the game plays in slow motion :?
SouthCityGolf

Re: game plays in slow motion

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:16 am

SouthCityGolf wrote:game was fine w/ME.......loaded XP....couldn't see my ball or player........dropped in a new video card(Radeon 9250 256mb ddr)......i can see everything(including my player and the ball) but the game plays in slow motion :?

Try adding your video card info into the Videocard.txt file as follows (I saved this procedure from awhile back - don't remember where, but was either from Links Corner or APCD-courses.com):

STEP ONE, determine the DeviceID for your video adapter in the Dxdiag.txt file:

- Click the Start button on the lower left of your desktop, and then select "Run."
- In the "Run" box, type "dxdiag" and then click OK. The Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool will start up.
- Click "Save All Information" (bottom of the DirectX box). It'll take a moment while the computer gathers the information.
- In the "Save As" box, make sure that you're saving the file to your "Desktop," verify that the file name that appears in the File name box is "Dxdiag.txt," and then click Save. (Basically, just make sure you know where you are saving the file, and what the name of the file is.)
- Now click Exit to quit the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- On your desktop, double-click the Dxdiag.txt file that you just saved.
- Under the "Display Devices" section, locate and note or copy the Device ID value for your video card. For example, it will look something like: 0x0177.
- Now exit out of Notepad.

STEP TWO, add the DeviceID entry for your video adapter to the Videocard.txt file:

- Open the Videocard.txt file. The Videocard.txt file is located in the following folder (where "drive" is the drive where Links 2003 is installed, probably your C drive): drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Links 2003
-Next, locate the following line in the Videocard.txt file: Vendor = 0x1002 "ATI". (This line identifies the beginning of the ATI device listing section.)
-Scroll to the end of the ATI device listing section. The last entry in this section should be the following:

0x5656 = "Mach 64"
BrokenAlphaTest
TextureOffset

-Create an entry for your video adapter at the end of the ATI device listing section, right after the lines listed above. This entry will begin with the Device ID value that you obtained above from the Dxdiag.txt file. Your entry will look something like this; however, replace "0x5654" with your Device ID and "Mach 64" with the name of your video card. (Both of those items are stored in the DXDiag.txt file.)

0x5654 = "Mach 64"
NoCopyZinVidMem

-On the File menu, click Save, and then quit Notepad.
-And you're all done! Your video card is now stored in the Videocard.txt file, and Links should recognize it automatically when you open the game.

Clear as mud, eh? :)
HTP_ErnieB

that did the trick....

Postby SouthCityGolf on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:21 am

ty ErnieB....all is right with the world again 8)
SouthCityGolf

Re: that did the trick....

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:49 pm

SouthCityGolf wrote:ty ErnieB....all is right with the world again 8)

You're welcome pard. 8)
HTP_ErnieB

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:49 am

good one E. that post ought to go in the tech forum sticky file. because as more players upgrade hardware, this problem is going to come up more and more. lw

______
Larry_Warrilow

Postby txTarHeel on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:24 pm

So how do you know what additional things to add after the Device ID and Video Card Name? For example, how did you know to tell SouthCity to add NoCopyZinVidMem after the 0x5654 = "Mach 64" line?

---
txTarHeel
txTarHeel

Postby terrell on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:35 pm

there's no way of knowing for sure which switches apply to your specific card. the idea is to look at similar cards in the videocard.txt, and simply try what the author suggests. kinda makes sense on lower end cards, slower gpu's, not much memory, to not use the z buffer. i would think the 9250 should work fine without the nocopyzinvidmem switch, but that's why ya just gotta try a few to see what works best for your card.

that specific suggestion has been around for several years here and at links corner.

edit: oh, and the microsoft knowledge base. which i quote, but with much skepticism.
terrell

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum