Buffer overrun

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Buffer overrun

Postby mnr4evr on Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:36 am

When I try to add a course, a message pops up that says Buffer Overrun. How do I fix this?
mnr4evr

Postby terrell on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:01 am

is it a particular course, or all courses? if it's a particular course, try downloading a fresh copy and retrying.

buffer overruns are caused by two or more applications attempting to place data in the same area of memory. usually happens due to poor coding. there may be an application running in the background that's causing the overrun. or perhaps a links module has become corrupted, and a reinstallation of links is in order.

edit: you didn't by chance receive links for christmas, did you?
terrell

Postby mnr4evr on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:10 am

Nope, not a christmas gift. The error comes up when I click on the Add button (in the course management section). I've had this game for a week now and have added multiple courses. The error just started today.
mnr4evr

Postby terrell on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:14 am

'nother possible problem is a bad memory stick. if ya have multiple sticks, ya might try swapping them around to see if the problem goes away.
terrell

Postby mnr4evr on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:16 am

Thanks for the tips!
mnr4evr

Postby terrell on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:18 am

you're very welcome. be sure to let us know if anything helps.

happy new year.

edit: i was just looking at newegg for one-time good deals on memory. make sure you haven't recently added memory to your rig (as a lot of peeps do this time of year) that's incompatible. i've mixed speeds in the past with no problems, but apparently not everyone is so lucky.
terrell

Postby mnr4evr on Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:07 am

I haven't added any memory lately. I also did a memory test and everything tested fine. I found an article about Buffer Overrun on the Microsoft website, it said that I needed to contact a rep and get a "hotfix" (whatever that is). I'll let you know what happens.
mnr4evr

Postby mnr4evr on Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:35 pm

I contacted Microsoft about getting a "hotfix" to fix my problem and they told me that I have to have Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003 Standard Edition software installed in order for the hotfix to work. Bad news is...........I don't have that software and to purchase it would cost $150. So the bottom line is if I want to fix the problem I'll have to reinstall. :roll:
mnr4evr

Postby terrell on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:01 pm

i was kinda atta loss on what the 'hotfix' could have possibly been. a reinstall and limiting the programs/processes/services running in the background are your best bet. i've contacted ms for support maybe twice over the years, and i've come to the conclusion it's always best to simply find your own solution (unless you have your mcse and a direct hotline to a third level support person that may know which end of the keyboard to use. but even then it's a tossup you're going to talk to anyone (common sense-wise) knowledgeable).

when reinstalling links, choose not to delete courses, saved games, a n i s (frelling censor bot!), etc. have the v1.05 update handy, as well as your modified videocard.txt.
terrell

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum