Slowwwwww rendering.

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Slowwwwww rendering.

Postby GripNRip on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:21 pm

Decided to Install Links on my recent PC I built

Intel Core i5 2500k Overclocked to 4.5ghz (ultra stable)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (latest bios)
GSkill Ripjaws 8gb 2133mhz
Corsair Force 3 GT SSD Drive
2GB MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition OC
Asus Xonar D2X
Windows 7 X64
Drivers upto date etc

Ive just put the new Graphics card in today, the same slow rendering happens with my Old GFX Geforce 280
ive tried alls sorts, but it still takes an age to get to the Tee, and sometimes between shots.
On my old C2D system there was never any problems.

Every other game runs flawless, except Links, I normally troubleshooting any problems I have
but this one has got me stumped!
GripNRip

Re: Slowwwwww rendering.

Postby terrell on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 pm

set antialiasing to off or application-controlled.
terrell

Postby GripNRip on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Already tried that and everything else, but doesn't want to play nice!!
Feels like it's on 1ghz cpu with 512mb ram and a 32mb AGP card -_-
GripNRip

Postby terrell on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:23 pm

and you installed the nvidia card fix?
terrell

Postby GoBucks on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Any course in particular?
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby GripNRip on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Yep installed the Nvidia Fix, the Course does not seem to matter, I have the Courses installed on a larger slower hard drive.
I even tried moving a Course to the SSD drive and loading that Course, but still the same problem.
GripNRip

Postby terrell on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:32 pm

have you uninstalled (don't delete courses, a n i s, sounds)/reinstalled links after installing the new graphics card? try running links with links 2003 safe mode one time. back out and start links normally.
terrell

Postby AlanBernardo on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 pm

GripNRip wrote:Decided to Install Links on my recent PC I built

Intel Core i5 2500k Overclocked to 4.5ghz (ultra stable)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (latest bios)
GSkill Ripjaws 8gb 2133mhz
Corsair Force 3 GT SSD Drive
2GB MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition OC
Asus Xonar D2X
Windows 7 X64
Drivers upto date etc

Ive just put the new Graphics card in today, the same slow rendering happens with my Old GFX Geforce 280
ive tried alls sorts, but it still takes an age to get to the Tee, and sometimes between shots.
On my old C2D system there was never any problems.

Every other game runs flawless, except Links, I normally troubleshooting any problems I have
but this one has got me stumped!

As you probably already know, some courses render slower than others. Pick a course, tee off from the first tee, and then hit your approach, counting the seconds for the redraw. Report back with the course and results. This way some of us can compare it to our own systems and see if indeed there is a problem.

(The anti-aliasing thing might slow down some systems a bit, but not enough to notice it and especially not with your system, which is fast enough. You must realize that there are some folks who post here who give the same answer to every problem a user might have, kind of fishing and hoping against hope that they get the right answer.)

You might try going to your /players directory (or, better yet, just do a search on *.ibo files) and delete all these *.ibo files. They are unnecessary and are compiled as you play online, mostly. This might add some speed but generally will speed up actual game load times, more than anything else.

Another obvious thing to do is update your video-card driver to the newest, and then work backwards, testing redraws each time.

You might also try clearing out (moving) all your courses. Then drop one course in a non-default course directory (I put mine in D:\Courses2K3 . Play that course and then see if redraws have improved. Use the same course as you tested on and pretty much know what the redraw time is.

What you want to do is fiddle around with different scenarios, one at a time, until some different result is achieved. Good or bad result, the important thing is that something has changed, which can lead you to another direction.

Do the test thing. Try Inverness. Hit the tee shot on the first hole, then record the redraw seconds after your approach shot.

You can also try a course like Whistling Straits, which has inherently slow redraws (relatively speaking, that is).

In the end your problem with redraws-- if you do in fact have one-- would not be related to hard-drive speed. It's got to be video-card related, something to do with the processor, or some other timing issue.

Alan
AlanBernardo

Postby GripNRip on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:01 am

Ive tried everything, even copying a Course to SSD and loading that course, it's the Only game that runs so slowly.
The PC is more than powerful enough to rip through the latest games, I guess i could be some hardware not liking the game.
GripNRip

Postby terrell on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:19 am

remember, links was written for directx 7, so it's not a case of links overpowering the hardware, but the hardware overpowering the software. have you added your card's device id to the videocard.txt?
terrell

Postby GripNRip on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am

Yes, I copied the device ID over from Direct x, but wasnt sure if i was adding it correctly

Device ID: 0x1189

Well that's what I was hinting at, some sort of Hardware is having a problem, with the Game being so old
think I will have to Cancel my LSPN, I don't feel like messing about setting the old PC up everytime I want to play Links.
GripNRip

Postby terrell on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:19 pm

hmmmm, if your videocard.txt looks like this:

Vendor = 0x10de "nVidia"
0x1189 = "grips honkin graphics card"

then you're good. also, ya might try adding the nvidia switches to see if something clicks:

Vendor = 0x10de "nVidia"
0x1189 = "grips honkin graphics card"
RenderEqualZ
NoStretchTexture
LimitTextureSize
TextureOffset
NoTriLinear
Limit500VidTextures

add them individually, then one at a time together. links might have an epiphany (and you'd become famous).

other than that, i got nuthin'. sorry, grip. (8

sidenote: someday i'll buy a honkin' graphics card, but links is the only game i play, so there's not really a rush. then, it'll be a card one of our i.t. guys wants to get rid of at a cut rate discount.
terrell

Postby sonnycul on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Just a side note but might it be better to download TeamViewer 7 at both pc's and let someone take a look at what problem might be ..I know in the pass I have help lot of guys and girls having problem with Links but now seems like all new stuff has passed me by .Just a thought .
Do not argue with an i d i o t. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
sonnycul

Postby gibby on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:13 pm

don't think it matters but can't hurt, you running in XP compatibility mode? Don't have your set-up but with Win 7 only way it plays well on mine
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby GripNRip on Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Ive finally nailed the problem, Sky Selection under Graphics if made to be blank the game renders very fast as normal
I done this by going to Regedit and in the Links 2003 section Under options regedit / HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Microsoft / Microsoft Games / Links 2003 / Options / Sky I set this option from Random Sky Selection to Blank
and the game renders very fast to the tee and between shots like it should, so the Skies are causing the game to Render so slowly, I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem!!
GripNRip

Next

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum