Does Direct Connection work?

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Does Direct Connection work?

Postby Joeytheduffer on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:08 am

Has anyone had any luck using Direct Connection. I've tried looking for games and tried creating a game and never see anyone on line. Ive tried sending my IP address to the person I'm trying to connect with and they enter it in the IP adress line but he says he can't see my game? Anyone having luck with this, could you give detailed instructions on how to use it. I have Links 2003 Ver. 1.05, Win XP, no router.
Joeytheduffer

Postby RR_widowmaker on Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:54 pm

Direct connection works great. If you're the one setting it up all you do is open Links, on-line, direct conect, create game. The ones joining you need your IP adress. All they need to do is type that in where it's needed and click paste, your game should show up. Then they click on join. Hope that helps ...... 8)
RR_widowmaker

Re: Does Direct Connection work?

Postby LT_FogHorn on Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:36 am

Joeytheduffer wrote:Has anyone had any luck using Direct Connection. I've tried looking for games and tried creating a game and never see anyone on line. Ive tried sending my IP address to the person I'm trying to connect with and they enter it in the IP adress line but he says he can't see my game? Anyone having luck with this, could you give detailed instructions on how to use it. I have Links 2003 Ver. 1.05, Win XP, no router.

I have the same problem Joey, Still searching for an answer. If ya solve it, please post it for me and any others.

Thanks, Fog
LT_FogHorn

Port Forwarding

Postby HeavySwinger on Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:20 pm

Joey,

Both your computer and your ISP need to be forwarding the necessary directplay ports for direct connect to work. You need to check any firewall programs on your computer along with the program you use to connect to the internet to make sure they are not blocking the ports. You may also have to contact your ISPs help desk to ask them if they forward the necessary ports. You can find the info about these ports in the Microsoft knowledge base, just search for Links 2003 directplay ports.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby Joeytheduffer on Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:25 am

Thanks all, for your input. I'm still pluggin away at it, but no luck yet.

Joey
Joeytheduffer

Postby Modman1 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:23 pm

Have you tried Hamachi?
We never have time to do it right, but we always find time to do it over.
Modman1

Postby Joeytheduffer on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:53 pm

When entering the IP address, in Direct Connect play, do you have to include the port address after the IP address string???
For example>> xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx:PPPP
Joeytheduffer

Postby tryandtyoneon on Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:14 pm

Joeytheduffer wrote:When entering the IP address, in Direct Connect play, do you have to include the port address after the IP address string???
For example>> xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx:PPPP

IP numbers only.......Eg. 123.456.678.0
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby terrell on Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:05 am

looks like an ipv6 address, in which case 0000's need to be entered as ::. or it could be a complete typo.
terrell

Direct Connection & AOL

Postby Joeytheduffer on Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:31 am

Has anyone had any success with Direct Connect when AOL is the ISP? Maybe that's my problem since apparently AOL uses a proxy server. I'm not sure if the IP address that shows up when I select create a game in Direct Connection is my true Ip address if AOL uses a proxy server.
Thanks for any input!!
Joeytheduffer

Problem solved with my direct connect.

Postby Joeytheduffer on Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 pm

DUH!! What a dummy I am. The problem I was having with Direct Connection and entering the IP address turned out to have a pretty simple solution. After selecting "Use This IP Address" and then entering the IP address in the proper place, I didn't realize you have to click on the "Use This IP Address" button again. After doing this, it worked fine.

:roll: :oops: :oops:

Joey
Joeytheduffer

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum