65 Processes

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby terrell on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:36 am

same here, lw. though you should be able to configure zonealarm to check for product updates manually. overview|preferences|check for updates tick 'manually'. and for antivirus/antispam updates, goto advanced options|updates and untick the automatic updates.

6.5 checked for av updates on the hour, and i usually detect if there's disk activity prior to an update. so i know to hold off on swinging for a coupla seconds. i've been running 7 betas for about a month, and they update at :38 (must have been something:38 when i installed it), though someone on the za forums said it was every two hours (i'm rarely sitting at my pc at home for two hours straight, so i can't confirm that). but it's the same, i can usually sense when an update (search) is about to kick off, so i rarely find myself trying to swing in the middle of one. though it has happened several times.
terrell

Postby gibby on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:23 am

terrell wrote:absolutely, postitutely correct, gib'. yes, i could trim down my task list to some minimum number, but why? if there's a process sitting there like jusched.exe (i keep picking on it, but it's the only one i see i could eliminate with no repercussions), there's a possibility it could suddenly decide to go out looking for an update, which would stall the swing meter. other than that, most of my 42 processes are innocuously sitting there just waiting for me to call on them. good point, gib'.

Well after 200 some posts I was due to get 1 right :lol:
gibby

Postby Crissy on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:38 pm

gibby wrote:always thought it was not how many but how many are running, I have 59 but my system idle is usally at about 95-99%

My Commit Charge sits at 104 at startup and my CPU Usage is at 0% to 2% and I have 2 gig of ram.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby Bruce Bo on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:05 pm

i have 33 processes. but only a few are running. is that possible? most have 00 as CPU useage.

i recall a program called "end-it-all" that brought a system down to bare minimums. i never installed it, but i'm sure it can be found/tested thru google~

i've no association with the 3d party program, only that i've never heard anyone have any problem after installling it.
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby Crissy on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:31 pm

BruceBo wrote:i have 33 processes. but only a few are running. is that possible? most have 00 as CPU useage.

i recall a program called "end-it-all" that brought a system down to bare minimums. i never installed it, but i'm sure it can be found/tested thru google~

i've no association with the 3d party program, only that i've never heard anyone have any problem after installling it.

If it says 33 Bruce in your Task Manager / Processes then you have 33 running at that time. 33 is not bad though some have many more then that.

If you click start then run and the type in msconfig you can click startup at the top, most if not all of the programs you see with check marks will be third party programs that are set to start when windows does. You may be able to un-check a few of those, you can play with it as you can alway just check them again if there is something you need to run at startup.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby Bruce Bo on Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:16 pm

Crissy wrote:
BruceBo wrote:i have 33 processes. but only a few are running. is that possible? most have 00 as CPU useage.

If it says 33 Bruce in your Task Manager / Processes then you have 33 running at that time. 33 is not bad though some have many more then that.

If you click start then run and the type in msconfig you can click startup at the top, most if not all of the programs you see with check marks will be third party programs that are set to start when windows does. You may be able to un-check a few of those, you can play with it as you can alway just check them again if there is something you need to run at startup.

Crissy

thanks Crissy!
i only had 11 in startup ~ 1 was for Skype, and something for Adobe (update check?) so i disabled those two.

have you heard of 'end-it-all'?
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby Crissy on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:24 pm

BruceBo wrote:
have you heard of 'end-it-all'?

Hi Bruce I have only heard good things about that program, although I have not tried it myself. And there was someone that posted in the old forum that they had used it for years and they thought it was great, but I cant remember off hand who it was now.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby terrell on Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:41 am

seems kinda silly to add a third party utility to do something you can easily do yourself. but whatever works. some people carry blackberries, i have my whiteboard.
terrell

Postby Crissy on Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:51 am

terrell wrote:seems kinda silly to add a third party utility to do something you can easily do yourself. but whatever works. some people carry blackberries, i have my whiteboard.

As I said I have not use it, but have heard its good. I would figure that Bruce may be able to stop 5 or 6 programs by using it, so adding one like that could be good for him. You and I do this stuff all the time, but many people don't and it can be scary, as you don't want to shut things down that you should not. That program can kind of eliminate this fear so that is a good thing.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby terrell on Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:57 am

you are correct, crissy. i knew that is precisely why you didn't use such a utility. and i do understand it adds a gui (i say that, and i'm not even sure the utility we're talking about has a gui. but that's usually what peeps are looking for) to those that find tweaking a little daunting.
terrell

Postby Armand on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:22 am

End-It-All, which I only used once or twice, seemed very good. It was a third-party utility that you started when you wanted it to run. And while you could close all of the processes manually, End-It-All closed all of them in less than one second and when it closed it, you were ready to go. I can see where it could have been VERY useful for many people.

I did a search and found that there was second version released in Oct./2001. In May of 2006, it appears to have been redeveloped under a new name (TaskPower 2) and is now shareware (it was originally freeware, I believe). I can't find a website for the developer, but you can download EndItAll2 from here:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,95493,00.asp

In my limited search, I didn't find a link to the first version, although I'm not certain that would work under WinXP.

Armand
Armand

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:44 am

Yes that is possible. Installed processes which are idle only take up memory. Most modern computers have sufficient memory to accomodate hundreds of installed processes. I currently have 45 installed processes (about 10% load on my physical memory) due to various programs/services (wireless home network, virus scanner, etc etc) and have noticed no ill effect on Links*. So long as these installed processes aren't running, they aren't using CPU resources and will pose no problems to anything else that is running (i.e. Links).

* the only ill effect I am finding with Links on this computer is I am not yet accustomed to a stable swing meter. :P
HTP_ErnieB

Postby terrell on Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:00 pm

HTP_ErnieB wrote:* the only ill effect I am finding with Links on this computer is I am not yet accustomed to a stable swing meter. :P

lol, same here, ernie. i keep reading about the problems peeps have getting a stable pc. but mine has been smooth as glass forever. the frustrating part is i should play much better than i do.
terrell

Postby Roughrider on Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:08 pm

We're gettin there, Terrell. How does one 'google' something (or in the words of the immortal T.S.Eliot, "How should one presume?")?
RR
Roughrider

Postby terrell on Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:24 pm

no problem, rr. your search box in the top right-hand corner of your browser will be google, live search, yahoo, dogpile, etc? in that box, type msascui.exe <enter> and let me know what the heck it is. thanks.

oh yeah, that's googling.
terrell

PreviousNext

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum