65 Processes

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

65 Processes

Postby Roughrider on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:59 am

Terrell, I've got 65 processes going on and know I don't need that many. I can see the ball but can't hit it because of all those processes. Can you give me about 20 I don't need? I'd like to file 'em w/my cc bills. (Never to be seen or heard from again.)
RR :shock:
Roughrider

Postby terrell on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:09 pm

wow. theeldergeek is a good place to start:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

to trim back unnecessary services. processes is a little bit different. really, ya gotta take one at a time and look 'em up, e.g. i recently noticed two instances of scanningprocesses.exe running. so i searched for 'scanningprocesses' and found they were legitimately put there by zonealarm (my software firewall).

lemme know if you have any you can't figure out what they are or if they're necessary.

here's another that's a little more user friendly. they incorporate black viper's (the greatest pc guru of all time) matrix for tweaking xp.

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

again, big difference between services and processes. ya really gotta be careful about stopping anything willy-nilly.

and then you can always do the clean boot thing. just stop everything from running but necessary microsoft processes (tongue was in cheek).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us
Last edited by terrell on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terrell

Postby Crissy on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:23 pm

When I load Links I have 12 processes running to give you an idea, thats all you need to run XP.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby terrell on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:26 pm

Crissy wrote:When I load Links I have 12 processes running to give you an idea, thats all you need to run XP.

Crissy

without debating functionality, that's pretty impressive.
terrell

Postby Crissy on Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:09 pm

terrell wrote:
Crissy wrote:When I load Links I have 12 processes running to give you an idea, thats all you need to run XP.

Crissy

without debating functionality, that's pretty impressive.

Here is a photo of my Task Manager and how I also have my Services set.

Click to enlarge

Name Status Startup Type
Acronis Scheduler2 Service Manual
Application Layer Gateway Service Manual
Application Management Manual
Ati HotKey Poller Manual
ATI Smart Manual
Automatic Updates Disabled
Background Intelligent Transfer Service Manual
ClipBook Disabled
COM+ Event System Started Manual
COM+ System Application Manual
Cryptographic Services Manual
DCOM Server Process Launcher Started Automatic
DHCP Client Started Automatic
Distributed Transaction Coordinator Manual
DNS Client Manual
Error Reporting Service Disabled
Event Log Started Automatic
Fast User Switching Compatibility Manual
Help and Support Disabled
HTTP SSL Manual
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service Disabled
Indexing Service Disabled
Infrared Monitor Manual
InstallDriver Table Manager Manual
IPSEC Services Manual
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 Manual
Logical Disk Manager Manual
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service Manual
Message Queuing Manual
Message Queuing Triggers Manual
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Manual
Network Connections Started Manual
Network DDE Manual
Network DDE DSDM Manual
Network Location Awareness (NLA) Started Manual
Network Provisioning Service Manual
PDEngine Manual
PDScheduler Manual
Peer Name Resolution Protocol Manual
Peer Networking Manual
Peer Networking Group Authentication Manual
Peer Networking Identity Manager Manual
Performance Logs and Alerts Manual
Plug and Play Started Automatic
Portable Media Serial Number Service Manual
Print Spooler Disabled
Protected Storage Started Automatic
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Manual
Remote Access Connection Manager Started Manual
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Manual
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Started Automatic
Remote Registry Disabled
Removable Storage Manual
Routing and Remote Access Disabled
Secondary Logon Disabled
Security Accounts Manager Manual
Security Center Disabled
Shell Hardware Detection Disabled
Smart Card Manual
SNMP Service Manual
SNMP Trap Service Manual
SSDP Discovery Service Disabled
System Event Notification Started Manual
System Restore Service Disabled
Task Scheduler Started Automatic
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Manual
Telephony Started Manual
Terminal Services Disabled
Themes Disabled
Uninterruptible Power Supply Manual
Universal Plug and Play Device Host Manual
Volume Shadow Copy Manual
WebClient Manual
Windows Audio Started Automatic
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Disabled
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Manual
Windows Installer Manual
Windows Management Instrumentation Started Automatic
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions Manual
Windows Time Started Automatic
Windows User Mode Driver Framework Manual
Wireless Zero Configuration Disabled
WMI Performance Adapter Manual
Crissy

Postby BruceWallace on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:42 pm

Crissy

I thought my 45 was good. Do you have any software, besides Links, on that computer? :)
BruceWallace

Postby terrell on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:52 pm

hey, bruce. i just took a look at my running processes, and i had 40. but most of them are zonealarm processes, then there's the java update scheduler, and weatherbug. so i think i could cut out about half of them fairly easily. but with 1280 mb ram, why bother?
terrell

Postby KCJammer on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:07 pm

I have 56 processes running right now and I wouldn't know what more than half of them are or what they do.
KCJammer

Postby Crissy on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:48 pm

BruceWallace wrote:

Crissy

I thought my 45 was good. Do you have any software, besides Links, on that computer? :)

Hi there Bruce how are you ? I just counted all the programs that I have on my PC and I have about 40 maybe a few more. But I am very picky about what programs I end of using, I only use programs that I can shut down 100% anytime I choose. Thats way I can disable everything I want then load it manually when I have a mind to. So thats why I can get things down to 12 at startup.

Big Fat Frosty and I use to mess around all the time, trying this and that to get the startup down as low as we could 12 is the best I have ever been able to do and still have everything I need running well.

But as terrell says in one of his posts functionality plays a big part also. But I see no reason why anyone has to be above 20 to 25 I would think.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby terrell on Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:58 am

Crissy wrote:But as terrell says in one of his posts functionality plays a big part also. But I see no reason why anyone has to be above 20 to 25 I would think.

really depends on how you wanna use your pc. you have yours tuned for a minimum number of conflicts for doing (software development?). my home machine functions more as a media pc, so i need some of the superfluous stuff running (especially a s/w firewall, a/v, etc). and my work machines only need to do the basics, so it's somewhere between 20-45 processes on any given day. there is no correct answer.

but back to what i originally told rr. ya really need to go down the processes running in the task list one by one. search for them and for what they do. then make a determination of how necessary they are.
terrell

Postby Roughrider on Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 pm

OK I can go down the processes one by one...search for them?...and see what they do? (Hey you, thats right you, Mr. Process. Whaddya do around here anyway? Thats what I thought, ur outta here!) Kind of like that or should I be less formal? :x
RR
Roughrider

Postby terrell on Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:45 pm

rofl, yeah, sorta. run task master (sic), click on the processes tab, and look for processes that don't look familiar, e.g. i have opera, thunderbird, and zlclient running, those are pretty self explanatory. but there's a msascui.exe i don't have any idea what it is. so i google (actually yahoo or altavista, but that loses something in the translation) 'msascui.exe' to find out what it is. what it be like. you know?
terrell

Postby gibby on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:56 am

always thought it was not how many but how many are running, I have 59 but my system idle is usally at about 95-99%
gibby

Postby terrell on Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:37 am

absolutely, postitutely correct, gib'. yes, i could trim down my task list to some minimum number, but why? if there's a process sitting there like jusched.exe (i keep picking on it, but it's the only one i see i could eliminate with no repercussions), there's a possibility it could suddenly decide to go out looking for an update, which would stall the swing meter. other than that, most of my 42 processes are innocuously sitting there just waiting for me to call on them. good point, gib'.
terrell

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:53 am

T has a point. just last night at doral, playing offline, my meter went crazy for one shot. i alt/tabbed out and checked the task manager, but no suspect process revealed himself. my guess is that it was zonealarm trying to connect with the net for updates, because i can't seem to turn off certain automatic updates. it's happened before and been rare, but in this day and age i'll suffer an aggressive security program even if it costs me a bogey once a month. lw

___
Larry_Warrilow

Next

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum