Links crashes after exit game

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Links crashes after exit game

Postby wirralview on Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:55 am

My Links always crashes now when exiting Links (the old send / don't send error), using the software and playing online, submitting scores etc..is working fine. Just wondered if anyone else had this happen. Thought it may be the new patch that mods the game to use the tour on lspn?

Links version is 2003 (1.0.5)

comments welcome
wirralview

Postby Tresclub on Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:38 am

It's a known glitch that Mark will get fixed at some point down the road. Nothing to be alarmed about right now.
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Thanks

Postby wirralview on Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:52 am

wirralview

Postby Tresclub on Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:39 am

Our pleasure, welcome to the Tour.
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby ruffrider on Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:46 am

glad to see im not alone then. i've just been "not send" ing the error report.
ruffrider

Postby KCJammer on Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:30 am

ruffrider wrote:glad to see im not alone then. i've just been "not send" ing the error report.

Nope, you're definitely not alone ... and as Terrell (and others) have remarked, sending the error report is pretty much a waste of time.
KCJammer

Postby terrell on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:09 am

KCJammer wrote:...and as Terrell (and others) have remarked, sending the error report is pretty much a waste of time.

and it's not because i'm any more cynical than usual. it's just that even when ms owned links, the error report went into a nebulous database that was used for statistical purposes, no one ever looked at your specific occurrence. so now that ms has nothing to do with links...

i'm still puzzled over how something on the server side could cause a crash upon exiting. i, and apparently most linksters, do not get the error. logically, it would seem to me if it were a server side error, everyone would be having the problem. unless our rigs are so old and outdated, they're more fault tolerant than usual.
terrell

Postby mike58 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:37 am

terrell said:

i'm still puzzled over how something on the server side could cause a crash upon exiting. i, and apparently most linksters, do not get the error. logically, it would seem to me if it were a server side error, everyone would be having the problem. unless our rigs are so old and outdated, they're more fault tolerant than usual.

I've wondered that too. I do remember that when we went to lspn.net, I had to use the link to change the address. Before, when we were moving around I just changed the server address in the registry and that worked fine, but would not work with lspn.net. Also, I think that when the link changed the address to lspn.net, it also added a small file to the Links 2003 directory, but now I don't remember what it was.[/quote]
mike58

Postby Armand on Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:56 pm

Since some people believe that sending these "error reports" is a futile excerise (myself included), there is a way you can disable this message from popping up after an application crashes:

Click Start, Run..., and type services.msc.
Next, right-click on Error Reporting Service on the right hand side of the window and choose Properties.
Click on the Stop button to stop the service (this will take a few seconds).
Change the "Startup Type" to Disabled and then it should no longer ask you to submit the error reports for any crashed application.

Armand
Armand

Postby jaywalker on Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:09 pm

I kept getting the same freeze screen after certain holes and when exiting the round.
I tried disabling an imported sound script I had been running == cleared it right up.
Don't know if we're talking oranges to oranges though.
jaywalker

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum