defragging the pagefile

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby RR_CrazyHorse on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:03 pm

You are one sharp cookie Crissy. The 7300K it uses in no way slows anything down unless you only have minimal Ram. But I suspect you are one of the people that push the envelope on what your PC could be. Taking Diskeeper out of the start menu only takes it out of the task bar but for defragging files its a gr8 program. The suggestions made by its analysis have made me increase my MTF for better performance. Also suggestions for paging file size has helped my performance.
"No matter where you go, There you are"
RR_CrazyHorse

Postby SteveFr on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:07 pm

Crissy wrote:
But the problem I find with both these products is they can not be set to manual ( run - services.msc ) if you set them to manual then when you go to use them you will receive errors. So one is forced to leave them running all the time.

Crissy

Yes, I used O & O for a while and it really messed with my swingmeter. Was getting frequent stutters while I was playing. Although the program appeared not to be running, when I monitored in task manager it was firing up in short bursts quite frequently. Since I uninstalled it my meter's been ok

Steve
SteveFr

Postby Crissy on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:37 pm

RR_CrazyHorse wrote:I suspect you are one of the people that push the envelope on what your PC could be.

Yes thats me much of the time, things have to be just perfect.

SteveFr wrote:Yes, I used O & O for a while and it really messed with my swingmeter. Was getting frequent stutters while I was playing. Although the program appeared not to be running, when I monitored in task manager it was firing up in short bursts quite frequently. Since I uninstalled it my meter's been ok

Thank you Steve for sharing your experiences with O&O Defrag. I have tried it but soon tossed it out the window for the same reasons you did. It’s a very nice program but just not a gamers program is all.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby Crissy on Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:35 pm

Here is a link to ULTIMATE-DEFRAG its not as well known, but looks promising and interesting. I have not tried it as of yet, but I may when I get a chance. Its geared towards gaming people.

ULTIMATE DEFRAG

Crissy
Crissy

Postby terrell on Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:49 pm

thanks, crissy, i'll give ultimate defrag a look. i've sorta kinda settled on diskeeper however. o&o and perfectdisk don't seem to have a vista version in the works. diskeeper has a vista version, though it doesn't work with build 5744. i suppose now that vista is rtm, diskeeper will follow shortly.

it's been awhile since i looked at o&o, but i think my impressions were underwhelming. i liked perfectdisk, but the no vista version is kinduva showstopper. diskeeper works very well. i have a nice contiguous pagefile, for whatever that's worth (i played around for several days without a pagefile and i saw no difference on a 1280 mb ram machine).

and thanks very much everyone for your input. this machine is as smooth as i've ever seen one. if it were any smoother, it would belong to george.

update: wow! ultimatedefrag is fast. assuming it's actually doing something, it did an analyze/defrag (no compress) in seconds. and the circular disk map is kinda radical. and there's a vista version (doesn't work with rc2 however). thanks for the heads up, crissy.
terrell

Postby Fraser on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:58 pm

terrell wrote:thanks, crissy, i'll give ultimate defrag a look. i've sorta kinda settled on diskeeper however. o&o and perfectdisk don't seem to have a vista version in the works. diskeeper has a vista version, though it doesn't work with build 5744. i suppose now that vista is rtm, diskeeper will follow shortly.

it's been awhile since i looked at o&o, but i think my impressions were underwhelming. i liked perfectdisk, but the no vista version is kinduva showstopper. diskeeper works very well. i have a nice contiguous pagefile, for whatever that's worth (i played around for several days without a pagefile and i saw no difference on a 1280 mb ram machine).

and thanks very much everyone for your input. this machine is as smooth as i've ever seen one. if it were any smoother, it would belong to george.

update: wow! ultimatedefrag is fast. assuming it's actually doing something, it did an analyze/defrag (no compress) in seconds. and the circular disk map is kinda radical. and there's a vista version (doesn't work with rc2 however). thanks for the heads up, crissy.

Seems kinda strange diskeeper wouldn't have an update out, considering the length of time RC2 has been out. By the way, what are your impressions of Vista?
Fraser

Postby terrell on Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:52 am

Fraser wrote:Seems kinda strange diskeeper wouldn't have an update out, considering the length of time RC2 has been out. By the way, what are your impressions of Vista?

diskeeper may have a version that supports vista builds 5744 and up by now. i downloaded diskeeper for my 30 day trial before vista went rtm, and i haven't checked the download pages since.

one thing's for certain, diskeeper, perfectdisk, o&o, and ultimatedefrag are infinitely better than defrag that comes with windows. well, more features, toys to play with, that is. and i like to play.

vista has a way to go before it's ready for prime time. i suppose if you have a honkin' new rig, vista may (or may not) have the drivers to support your hardware. or software, as in the case of diskeeper, etc. or perhaps oem's simply need to catch up to vista now that it's been released to the dells, et al.

and generally i like the look and feel of vista. particularly the aero glass feature. but then, that's where vista starts failing for me. i have a hodgepodge of old machines stitched together with spit and duct tape, and vista runs noticeably slower than xp. that may change once i learn all the tips and tricks of vista. seems like i said the same thing about xp when it first came out. but i think i ran a pirated copy of xp for about a year on another partition or machine, so my initial impressions probably aren't totally fair.

new machines, go with vista. older machines, stick to me/2000/xp until vista matures a bit.
terrell

Postby Fraser on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:43 pm

I agree with you completely. The funny thing is, my machine ran better with RC1 than 5744. I no longer have aero :cry: , and the performance has dropped a lot. I could force my printer to install in RC1, but not 2, but now my scanner works in 2, where it wouldn't in 1(all-in one). I will not be rushing out to purchase Vista until at least SP1, and until I add some ram.
Fraser

Postby terrell on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:47 pm

kind of an update for you guys...i ended up purchasing perfectdisk 8.0 a coupla weeks ago. after familiarizing myself pretty thoroughly with o&o, ultimatedefrag, diskeeper, and perfectdisk, i decided i really liked the clean interface of perfectdisk. diskeeper has scads of features, but ya gotta dig for them somewhat.

also contingent upon my purchase, i had to be able to get the vista version for free once it was released. i just got the notifying email today, downloaded the vista capable version (same build number as the original, but the filesize was slightly larger), installed it on my vista build 5744 partition, and perfectdisk works great.

thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.
terrell

Postby Crissy on Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:43 am

terrell wrote:kind of an update for you guys...i ended up purchasing perfectdisk 8.0 a coupla weeks ago. after familiarizing myself pretty thoroughly with o&o, ultimatedefrag, diskeeper, and perfectdisk, i decided i really liked the clean interface of perfectdisk. diskeeper has scads of features, but ya gotta dig for them somewhat.

also contingent upon my purchase, i had to be able to get the vista version for free once it was released. i just got the notifying email today, downloaded the vista capable version (same build number as the original, but the filesize was slightly larger), installed it on my vista build 5744 partition, and perfectdisk works great.

thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

Oh good glad you found something to your liking, this was a good thread I found it interesting.

Crissy
Crissy

Previous

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum