Disk access during a round

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Disk access during a round

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:26 pm

I know this can be caused by a million things, but does anyone else have the problem of maybe a couple of times a round having the swing interrupted by a disk access for seeminly no reason?

Is there anything that most players normally turn off when playing?

When this happens, I Alt-Tab out of Links 2003, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to see what's eating up the CPU, but usually by then it's gone for the moment.

I usually play really well when things are consistent, but once this happens, I'm constantly on guard that it will happen again. With no mulligans, all you can do is watch your ball sail into the woods when the release is at about 8 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock.
GoesForIt

Postby terrell on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:50 pm

a good way to eliminate programs running in the background, eating cpu time (or accessing the disks), is to perform a clean boot before starting links:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353

back in the beginning of time, most of my problems were caused by windows or msn messengers. so i uninstalled them, and most problems went away. you can also make sure there are no programs, e.g. antivirus, surfing for updates in the middle of a round. ya might run task manager|processes and click on cpu a coupla times. anything intermittently taking a lot of cpu time will wreak havoc on the swing meter.
terrell

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum