Firewall Problems

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Firewall Problems

Postby Tresclub on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:20 pm

I have a 2Wire 1000HG DSL/Router. In the past, I have never had any problems playing online matches. My partner and I played for several years over at the old Zone. Now, I have problems hosting a match (no problem joining a match).

I have my firewall set up like this:

Protocol.....Port Number.....Application Type
...TCP..........80-20864........DirectX Game (DirectPlay) host
...UDP..........80-20864........DirectX Game (DirectPlay) host

This does not seem to work. I also tried truning off the WinXP firewall, but that didn't work either.

I also tried setting up the firewall with the Links1,2,3,4 as suggested in the port fowarding message, but couldn't get that to work either.

Any ideas?
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby Pa_Dawg on Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:33 pm

Seems lots of internet providers are starting to block the Port 80 (HTTP). This is the port that the www uses but also Links 2003. I really don't understand the whole thing but I was playing for a long time on the Zone and then I was unable to connect to any games. Further investigating lead me down that path. I called my provider and they told me they did block port 80. This was the port that was used a few years back for a virus that infected many many providers.. the name escapes me right now.. some kind of worm I believe. I am not sure how the web still works but I know you cannot use this port on lots of providers to host and I believe you need this port with links 2k3 if you host or not.. Maybe others can add some insight.
Pa_Dawg

Postby Pappy on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:51 pm

I have a 2wire modem (1000sw). It has a hard wired built in firewall. This may help or it may not (as we have slightly different models) but you can looksee.

http://www.lspn.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

My post is near bottom
Pappy (Pete)
Pappy

Postby Tresclub on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:04 pm

Pappy, Just saw your post, and I have never been thrilled about enabling that DMZ plus mode thingy. Especially since it going to change my modem's current ip address, and open up my pooter to anyone who happens to drop by.

Allow all applications (DMZplus mode) – Set the selected computer in DMZplus mode. All inbound traffic, except traffic which has been specifically assigned to another computer using the “Allow individual applications” feature, will automatically be directed to this computer. The DMZplus-enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opened for that computer.

Note: Once DMZplus mode is selected and you click DONE, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer. The computer must be set to DHCP mode to receive the new IP address from the system, and you must reboot the computer. If you are changing DMZplus mode from one computer to another computer, you must reboot both computers.
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum