Swing Speed Problems

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Swing Speed Problems

Postby MGiuseffi on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:58 am

Hey all. I just got a new computer and because of the memory etc., my "Classic Swing" speed is about twice as fast. This is really tough to adjust to. Anyway, I was wondering if any others have had this issue and if there is any solution to the problem. Thanks, Mike
MGiuseffi

Re: Swing Speed Problems

Postby grim_x on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:28 am

I've never noticed any discernable difference between machines with the four different computers I've played links on. The only thing that I can think of that could slow down the meter is if something is using a whack of system resourses, but that shouldn't happen on a constant basis. The speed of the meter should be set by the program, otherwise everyone's speed would be different, and that wouldn't be a level playing field. People would go out and buy something just for links to shave a few strokes, as loony as that sounds. I'll keep it in mind though. In the middle of getting all the parts together for a build and should be done in a few weeks. Not that it'll ever be done, if you know what I mean. Could be that I just didn't notice a difference in speeds, so I'll keep it in mind.
grim_x

Postby MGiuseffi on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:32 am

My computer that I used for years was not very powerful and I think it slowed down the swing because of limited system resources. I "was" a -13 or better per round player for years in Professional tourneys and sometimes even managed to compete with the "Big Boys". I doubt I will ever be able to get back to that level with the swing meter moving at what seems to me to be "light speed". Makes me wonder if some other low scorers have "old" computers as well giving them this advantage. Mike
MGiuseffi

Postby AZWilly on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:48 am

I had that speedy meter when I first started playing...redownloading the game worked for me.
patience is a virtue few possess
AZWilly

Postby Armand on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:44 pm

No suggestions to slow down the swing meter, but it might be an opportunity to learn either the PS or RTS swing....
Armand

Postby RR_widowmaker on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:56 pm

I had that problem when i upgraded my computer with a graphic card. I had integrated graghics before and use to get the 79% swing meter deal while I was playing. I could clear it up for a spell by dumping temp. internet files and cookies. About all I can say is practice, practice, practice. You will get used to it, I did.

Berk
RR_widowmaker

Postby gibby on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:45 am

could have something to do with your graphics driver being so new.
I know with my Intel everytime it would update my driver it would effect the meter(speed up) but also my golfer would disappear, cams would act up, ball fight would come and go, I would have trees and bushes in the tee box and on the green.
But by keeping the driver at I think a 2003-04 version It works fine. besides Intel no longer offers drivers past 2005 for my card.
Are you having any other problems with the game besides the meter?
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby MGiuseffi on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:47 am

Thanks for all the replies guys and the problem still persists. Also, I have gotten booted a couple of times from tourneys causing DQ's. This seldom if ever happened before too. I guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks again, Mike
MGiuseffi

Postby grim_x on Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:31 pm

Well, I kept the swing meter speed in mind. E4600 cpu at stock 2.4 Ghz speed seemed the same as my laptop with the T7400 cpu at 2.16 Ghz. Overclocked the E4600 to 2.66 (12 x 222) and it still was the same. So, OC'd to 2.83 (12 x 236) and I still can't notice any difference in the speed of the meter. Must be something else going on in your system. I'd guess that your old one was sludged up somehow and was slowing down the meter, and the new one performs in a normal fashion.
grim_x

Postby Justin_I on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:07 pm

grim_x wrote: I'd guess that your old one was sludged up somehow and was slowing down the meter, and the new one performs in a normal fashion.

I'd back that up, I had my laptop for three years and a few weeks ago got so sick of the swing meter being inconsistent speeds and stuttering that I formatted the HDD and re-installed win xp and everything else. My system is now sludge free, the swing meter is perfectly smooth and maybe a bit quicker now, so your system can easily affect the swing meter. Even though it is quicker, the fact is is consistent makes it so much easier to adjust to, and I am scoring better as a result :-)
ImageCompetition Pro Aces: 12
Justin_I

Postby MGiuseffi on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:59 pm

Thanks again for all the replies guys. I have begun to adjust although the slower way was muuuuuucccccch easier, especially when going for a long drive. Mike
MGiuseffi

Postby Golfman on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:02 pm

Older machines are definitely a problem with lINKS slow- eratic swing speeds. About 25% of the time I lose 1 or more strokes a tournament because of it. I have an old Compaq 800 mhz machine and, far too often, it takes off and initiates SYSYEM svchost.exe routines or lIve Update routines in the middle of a swing. These routines take up 97-100% of CPU time, leaving no idle time for LINKS and the swing meter (or anything esle). These routines are initiated at startup and can come on again anytime later. They last about 3-5 minutes and then I can play again. This has been my problem for years now. Microsoft doesn't seen to want to fix it. I asked. They talk about a patch, but don't offer it. For us slow CPU guys, those routines should be turned off/delayed when you are using a mouse sensitive program.
May the Golf God's be with you!
Golfman

Postby Maximus on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:04 am

MGiuseffi wrote:I doubt I will ever be able to get back to that level with the swing meter moving at what seems to me to be "light speed". Makes me wonder if some other low scorers have "old" computers as well giving them this advantage. Mike

I bought a new computer (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.3 GHz with 2 Gig Ram) to replace one I used for over 6 years (1.6 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 Ram). If there's any advantage at all, I feel it's with my new machine because the swing meter seems to run a little smoother but the speed at which it moves is no different than it was on the old one.

Max
Maximus

Postby terrell on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:40 am

Maximus wrote:I bought a new computer (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.3 GHz with 2 Gig Ram) to replace one I used for over 6 years (1.6 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 Ram). If there's any advantage at all, I feel it's with my new machine because the swing meter seems to run a little smoother but the speed at which it moves is no different than it was on the old one.

i have a theory on that, max. i believe new machines should perform better in links because they've had less time to get filled up with adware/malware/and other asundery programs that steal clock time from the cpu. i believe there's no difference between a p3 850 w/ 256mb (my first pc) and a 2.3ghz 64-bit athlon because system clock speed isn't what determines the speed of the swing meter. andrew jones could probably address this more accurately, but i would hazard the guess that there's an internal links routine that specifies the speed of the swing meter, any cpu you have is merely executing that routine. no faster, no slower.

that's my story, and i'm sticking to it. until andrew specifies otherwise. (8

edit #1: oh yeah, meant to add, i have no doubt there are probably programs/dll's/services that interfere with links' ability to execute its routines. i believe they can reside on a legacy, duct taped together, kludge like mine, or a shiny, brand spankin' new machine.

edit #2: i sure would like to have a shiny, brand spankin' new machine someday, just to test my hypothesis.
terrell

Postby fescue on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 am

Golfman wrote:Older machines are definitely a problem with lINKS slow- eratic swing speeds. About 25% of the time I lose 1 or more strokes a tournament because of it. I have an old Compaq 800 mhz machine and, far too often, it takes off and initiates SYSYEM svchost.exe routines or lIve Update routines in the middle of a swing. These routines take up 97-100% of CPU time, leaving no idle time for LINKS and the swing meter (or anything esle). These routines are initiated at startup and can come on again anytime later. They last about 3-5 minutes and then I can play again. This has been my problem for years now. Microsoft doesn't seen to want to fix it. I asked. They talk about a patch, but don't offer it. For us slow CPU guys, those routines should be turned off/delayed when you are using a mouse sensitive program.

Gotta second the Golfman. I began playing Links in earnest in 2000, when I bought the computer I am typing on now. Albeit a slight upgrade in vid card, a new power supply, a couple added fans and some upgraded internal wiring (hehehe T is not the only one with a duct taped box) oh yeah and I dumped windows ME two years ago for XP pro (best move of all).

So with my Athlon 1.1 ghz processor (which has always had an overheating problem despite the seriously upgraded PS unit) and 756 mb of RAM I have ALWAYS had approx a 20% "mouse [censored]" error rate where anything can happen. I always sort of attributed it to the game as I have tried playing with most if not everything turned off in the background without much improvement. I always see the svchost gobbling processor time/speed but assumed it was vital.

At anyrate, I am looking forward to a significant upgrade in the not too distant future and hopefully I will be able to rip vista off whatever I buy and put my xp pro on it. Didn't mean to start that discussion.

Steve
fescue

Next

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum