Funny behaviour at Lagalochan

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Funny behaviour at Lagalochan

Postby HeavySwinger on Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:09 pm

I have noticed some strange stuff while playing at Lagalochan. It happens after the render is done, so I don't think it's graphics related, perhaps some intense sound scripts or something? What happens is this: for several seconds after render is complete the mouse movement is jerky and the game ignores mouse clicks once in awhile. The result is that if I hit off the Tee too quickly, I got extremely low clubhead speed in RTS (like under 100). I would imagine this could cause missed snaps in click or PS also, so beware! :o
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby terrell on Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:22 pm

sounds like something running in the background eating cpu cycles. have ya checked task manager? anti-virus updating? msn or windows messengers? java? zonealarm bites me in the frelling (censor bot!) b u t t occasionally. but i ain't turning it off.
terrell

Postby HeavySwinger on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:52 pm

terrell wrote:sounds like something running in the background eating cpu cycles. have ya checked task manager? anti-virus updating? msn or windows messengers? java? zonealarm bites me in the frelling (censor bot!) b u t t occasionally. but i ain't turning it off.

Ya, there's a virus that looks for Lagalochan and only then causes trouble.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby terrell on Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:54 pm

don't be a putz, larry. maybe your copy of lagalochan is corrupted. try deleting and redownloading the file. make sure you don't use a download accelerator, e.g. getright (apologies for picking on getright again). try some of the rational things peeps have suggested here, before...
terrell

Postby canuck on Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:53 pm

larry same thing happens here. there is the odd course that this happens on also.
i dont think the course file is corrupt.
chris
canuck

Terrell, I know you help a lot of folks and meant well-sorry

Postby HeavySwinger on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:40 pm

terrell wrote:don't be a putz, larry. maybe your copy of lagalochan is corrupted. try deleting and redownloading the file. make sure you don't use a download accelerator, e.g. getright (apologies for picking on getright again). try some of the rational things peeps have suggested here, before...

canuck Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

larry same thing happens here. there is the odd course that this happens on also.
i dont think the course file is corrupt.
chris

I do remember some other course that caused a jerky aiming stick for awhile after rendering a new scene, but this is the first time I have correlated this to low clubhead speed in RTS. This is also the only course I've ever noticed where mouse clicks to change clubs or whatever were ignored. I didn't play the course in classic swing or PS, so I don't know if these ignored mouse clicks would have happened during a swing, but I suspect it could.

I don't suspect the course is corrupt, I did manage to use it this week to play the official tourney here and I won.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:29 am

T, i have, as a dial-up dinosaur, used getright on every course file download i have ever made. there have been no corruption problems. the download manager is not to my knowledge an accelerator, it is just an insurance policy that allows us cavemen to resume a big DL from the point at which we occassionally get cut off from the net. some sites (apcd-courses, for one) have a special mirror site that we dial-up guys must use for the manager to work. i can only testify that the hundreds of links course files i have DLed with getright are all working fine to this day. lw

______
Larry_Warrilow

Postby terrell on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:57 am

i know, larry. the only reason i keep using getright as an example, is because i don't know the names of any of the others. before broadband, i was a getright fanatic myself. as i have an aversion to sitting and watching files download, most of the large files i ever downloaded were done with getright, overnight. the wiser option.

my point has been, there are plenty of documented cases of file corruption due to using download accelerators. and it's somewhat frustrating when peeps claim a bug in the game/course, when it's only happening to a couple of players. with the vast majority having no problems at all. it seems 2 plus 2 to me there's something else going on, e.g. file corruption, conflicting programs/dll/services running in the background, poorly maintained systems, etc. but that's just me.
terrell

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum