Here's something interesting

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Here's something interesting

Postby Chucktone on Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:48 pm

For the gurus here
When I play online I no longer get the error I used to get when exiting the game after playing online. However, there are some applications, namely IE and my AT&T browser, that encounter errors and have to close before they ever get started and will continue to show that error. I have to reboot my computer to reset everything and all is well until I play Links online again. There have been some other mysterious events as well but the above happens consistently. Do you think that simply re-installing the game would correct it or does it sound like something else is going on? I have a very good registry cleaner, anti-spyware prog. and firewall program and have had it checked by other such programs and so far no worm, trojan or virus has been picked up. Just wanted to get an advanced opinion before I did what may be the obvious, ie uninstalling and reinstalling.
When poo becomes of value the poor will be born without butts.

Charlie
Chucktone

Postby terrell on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:55 pm

hmmm, i'm a little hazy as to what ie or the at&t browser(?) have to do with links. personally, i would leave links alone, and reinstall ie (7?) and/or the at&t browser.

what's the error you're getting?

edit: i can't believe that's your first post. where ya been?
terrell

Postby Chucktone on Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:27 pm

hey terrell.... well I been here there and just about everywhere except where I need to be. LOL Been playing online some but just hangin out mostly. Dealing with the back prob I have is no picnic and has been the consumer of most of my time. Had to have my second surgery in late Nov. but I still get up on my own two feet. Looking to get my medical retirement from my job so I can go back to school and learn some of the tedious intracacies of these here modern headache causing varmits. Haven't talked to Terry in forever, I hope his wife is still well. If you talk to him tell him I said hey. Glad to see you are still in here and helping to lead us less knowledged/blind through the woods.

Anyway the error is that either IE 7 or AT&T Yahoo! browser, or whatever other program is affected, has encountered a problem and must close. If you were in the middle of something please save your data before exiting. But the error comes when I start the program not when I'm in the middle of anything. And it only happens after I play Links online. Has made me more than a little hazy over the situation. lol I run the registry cleaner to see if any kind of anomally was posted in there, though like you I have no idea why Links would have any affect on them or any other program, and I don't find anything in the registry cleaner's list of finds that would point anything out as the culprit. The only other thing that has shown up is a notice when I start Outlook Express telling me that the server I am connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. And asks if I want to continue using the server. And of course it is AT&T Yahoo!, my DSL ISP so I answer yes. That started after a message from AT&T saying that I had to run the Self-Support program to automatically set the proper parameters for Outlook Express due to some kind of change they made with regard to the mail system so that I would continue to be able to get my mail via Outlook Express. A bunch of hoo haa if you ask me but if that's what they say I have to do.. I do.

I used to get an error when closing Links after playing online that some others have posted about. Something about there being an error with Links but not the same error that I am getting now. And the other programs, which I can't remember at this time, that are affected are not dependent on an internet connection. But I get no errors with Links, except for the "no disc" error that many others get. I did read about another problem with rejoining a round after Links hangs and you have to reboot. The tip was to put a folder in links called "games" and having that folder would allow you to rejoin in the instance of a crash, and that works. Though I can't rejoin on the auto-restart of links if I hit alt-ctrl-del and end links that way instead of rebooting. But if I exit Links totally and restart it then I get back in no problem. Hope I haven't caused too much confusion. I thought about reinstalling IE 7 and the AT&T Yahoo! software but didn't see how that would solve the same error on other programs. ????? Preciate info.

Charlie
Chucktone

Postby terrell on Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:47 pm

Chucktone wrote:Haven't talked to Terry in forever, I hope his wife is still well. If you talk to him tell him I said hey.

kathy passed away. terry comes around occasionally. he's coping. i've never been in that situation, so i can only imagine what he's going through. it hit this community pretty hard. funny how virtual relationships can feel just like the real thing.

Chucktone wrote:I thought about reinstalling IE 7 and the AT&T Yahoo! software but didn't see how that would solve the same error on other programs.

couldn't hurt, charlie. maybe ya don't have enough memory in your pc. maybe ya got a bad memory stick that's causing multiple programs to conflict. maybe it's something as simple as reinstalling the graphics driver. really hard to say if you're having problems with multiple programs.
terrell

Postby Armand on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:32 pm

I can't offer any resolution, but before you play Links online, check to see what programs are running (through Task Manager and check the Processes tab). IEXPLORE.EXE (IE) is one to note as well as whatever the process for the AT&T Yahoo! software.

When finished playing Links online, check Task Manager again (BEFORE starting any other programs) and see if they are running/have started during your Links session. I'm not sure if/why they might start, but perhaps they're already running without you knowing it ???

Anyway, this may help in diagnosing the issue(s).

Armand
Armand

Postby Chucktone on Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:43 pm

@ terrell
my goodness, I feel bad for him and wish I would have kept in touch more with him. wow... I'll see if I still have his addy and drop him a line. Good to hear he is coping. I haven't had that experience either and couldn't imagine how hard that is except that it has to be a tough thing to go through. My heart goes out to him. Is he still hanging out around these parts?

I got in touch with AT&T online support and got the Outlook Express issue resolved. It turned out to be a simple settings thing that I let their Self Support Tool take care of automatically. Think I'll stick to doing it myself from now on. Least ways if something is wrong I know who to blame. She mentioned reinstalling the browsers too and I just got finished doing that. Haven't tested the effect yet. The girl seemed to think there was a real possibility of a corrupted browser or something like that. I redid IE7 and the AT&T browser. Will test it either tonight or tomorrow to see what happens with a fresh install. Will be in touch.

@ Armand
I try to watch the processes and keep the junk out or disabled. Haven't caught anything running that shouldn't be but I don't check it so closely. I'll definitely give it a good look see though. I appreciate the input. I note as much as I can.. ya never know who might have the one suggestion that solves the mystery. Thanks!

Charlie
Chucktone

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:38 am

chuck, why not play offline? the leaderboard isn't going to change that much in the 35 minutes or so it takes to play an offline tour round. and you have minimal exposure to online screwups. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Chucktone on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:58 am

He Larry,
Preciate the thought but the problem, if the reinstalls don't fix it, have to do with connecting to the internet via the game rather than just the act of playing live online. So I would have to sign on to get to the server to get the round to be played and have that connection to send the results of the round back to the server. Nice idea though. Thanks.

Charlie
Chucktone

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:01 am

chuck, i connect to the net before booting the game. on the first tee, as an offline player, the game automatically disconnects me from the net. after playing my offline round, i reconnect to the net after the round by alt/tabing out of the game, and reconnecting via my isp's window on my desktop. after reconnecting, there is a logical succession of windows that winds up sending my stats. it has never failed. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby gibby on Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:08 am

ck your settings in outlook, it may be trying to download your e-mail while playing.
Had mine set to ck every 15 min for new mail and would get a error.
gibby

Postby JackRussellTerror on Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:40 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:chuck, i connect to the net before booting the game. on the first tee, as an offline player, the game automatically disconnects me from the net. after playing my offline round, i reconnect to the net after the round by alt/tabing out of the game, and reconnecting via my isp's window on my desktop. lw

its the best way of doing it, for sure. Offline play, reconnect on final green

but i go one step further >>>> bit risky, but one step further.....

when i am automatically disconnected on first tee playing Offline, i alt/enter to desktop and shut down AV, Firewall, Spyware. you name it, its shut down hehe. then its back to the first tee :)

sink the final putt on 18th, that message then pops up and b4 i hit continue (to submit scores) i alt/enter back to Desktop, DSL connect, open Internet Explorer to make sure connection is running good (i'm paranoid, yeah) , quickly shut down I.E, quickly maximise Links, click continue quickly, scoring details go straight thru. done. quickly hit alt/enter back to Desktop >>>> quickly disconnect off net (and run hehehe :lol: ) I have the whole procedure down to a fine art now....a very quick one.

i do the last bits "quickly", 'cause i deliberately leave internet security (firewall AV etc) OFF as i submit scoring details. it works......never a failure in submitting scores doing it this way.

don't ask me how many Trojans, Worms, Viruses and Russian Spies i have now.......lost count. But 30 seconds on the net with no security and getting my scores thru is well worth it hehehehe
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby Hogan1956 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:13 pm

[quote="Chucktone"]@ terrell
my goodness, I feel bad for him and wish I would have kept in touch more with him. wow... I'll see if I still have his addy and drop him a line. Good to hear he is coping. I haven't had that experience either and couldn't imagine how hard that is except that it has to be a tough thing to go through. My heart goes out to him. Is he still hanging out around these parts?

Howdy Chuck, i only returned to these parts last month, i'm doing ok so don't worry about me bro, maybe we can shoot a round soon if i ever get me router figured out lol.
The error message you are getting is 1 usually that occurs whenever a program trying to access the net crashes. use alt/enter instead of alt tab, alt tab causes heap stack errors in links
Hogan1956

Postby Chucktone on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:16 pm

Preciate all the input guys... will try to digest it all and be in touch with what works. These dang things are never easy as typing on the keypad, eh?! :twisted:

Hey Terry,
So glad to see ya here man. Have wondered often how things were and all. Will be in touch soon and hope ya get your router done. Need some new lessons. :lol: Hope ya know my heart goes out to ya bud and sorry I wasn't more in contact. In times like those too many friends, I think, is just not possible. Hey, I'll be in touch shortly. Hope all else is going well!

Oddly enough I have had some heap stack errors lately that have literally come out of the blue and not just in Links. Will definitely have to remember the alt-enter. Thanks!!

Charlie
Chucktone

Postby Chucktone on Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:50 am

All to no avail. I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE7, my AT&T Yahoo! browser and Links. Reinstalled the 1.05 patch and the LSPN file. The thing that is happening, whatever that is, happens when I sign on to the online tour via the game. I tried just signing on then off without playing and exited Links. Then tried to initialize the Yahoo! browser and there was the error message again. ???? I am so at a loss here as to what is happening and what needs to be corrected to keep it from happening. It is purely linked to the Links program and the signing on to the LSPN network in game. :( I looked at the tech info and I didn't see anything that told me what was being affected. Of course there is a lot of data that is gibberish to my eyes not knowing what the mods are and the memory mods are as well as their addresses. It does say that there is a file that would be included, can't remember the entire address but it's in Documents and Settings all the way thru to temp and then a particular file in there but when I looked that file didn't exist, much like the Error Report error that I've seen in the past but this one doesn't give the opportunity to report the error it just closes the app. The App name in the first view when I click on the "click here" is an appcompat.txt file. ???? This whole thing is such an inconvenience. So Terrell, Terry or any other of you gurus what'dya think? Like I said it only happens with Links and only if I sign on to the online tour in the game. Doesn't matter if I don't play just the act of signing on and connecting to LSPN via the game.

Charlie
Chucktone

Postby gibby on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:22 am

Appcompat.txt is not the problem. It contains information about the problem. Open it up in notepad, and you'll see what I mean. When you get an error message that references appcompat.txt, it'll usually give you the full path to the file. So click on Start, Run and enter:
notepad C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7b4e.dir00\appcompat.txt

Where "C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7b4e.dir00\appcompat.txt" is replaced with the actual information that was presented in the error message. You'll see a lot of technical information that begins with this:

found this for ya, see if you can follow it
gibby

Next

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum