Re-installation of Links.

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re-installation of Links.

Postby Paintman_4 on Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:31 am

Hi All,
Just curious if a fresh install would either reduce or eliminate my system crashing during tournaments. Contemplating two different options. Since my 2 year old Acer laptop came without a CD drive I can either purchase an exterior CD-drive from Amazon (about 30 dollars) and use my original LInks2K3 disks or download a Links2K3 executable file from Links Country Club site for about 15 dollars. Currently running my program in an XP compatibility "box" in Windows 10. Would appreciate any opinions or suggestions.

Roger (aka Paintman_4)
Paintman_4

Re: Re-installation of Links.

Postby pmgolf on Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:03 pm

IMO - If your Links came from CD's then you should download Links Country Club's download version for $7.50. It's the latest and greatest for Links and you can't go wrong with it. Really cheap backup insurance.

Don't purchase an external CD drive - get an external DVD drive. Sooner or later it will come in handy - especially for major recoveries. Then you can buy or create a recovery disk for whatever operating system you have on your PC.

Pete
pmgolf

Re: Re-installation of Links.

Postby Echoes on Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:45 pm

I think the fresh install will crash just as much as the old install. I have no check marks in any of the 4 boxes in sound settings and listen to music while playing(Windows Media player) (I hear the club hitting the ball and any sound the ball makes hitting objects including water), i also play offline so the game doesn't have to make contact with the server every hole. I don't crash!
That's the easy way to eliminate tourney crashes as those are the 2 areas where almost all crashes originate. There is a sound editor that some have used to go thru all their wavs, soundtracks, and all the sounds related with every course to eliminate the corrupted sound files, but it is quite the time consuming process. Too time consuming for me on a 20 something year old game.
Echoes

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum