Grahic flaring - strange spiked images -disqualified regular

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Grahic flaring - strange spiked images -disqualified regular

Postby Taylor7 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:21 pm

I have recently been disqualified from all tournaments i have entered after a round or so right in the middle.I recently downloaded required microsoft updates and since then my links 2003 game is creating flares or spikes (long images stretching across the screen. i have had a technician in but they have not solved the problem even with upgraded drivers,patches etc. i have a radeon 700 ??? as a graphics card I believe in a pentium 3. Any suggestions before my technician arrives tomorrow?
Taylor7

Postby terrell on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:32 pm

roll back your graphics driver to the one you were using before the upgrade.
terrell

Response to rolling back before

Postby Taylor7 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:54 pm

Thanks for the thought but it was worse before the upgrade. At one point I couldn't even get on Links 2003.The game was fine before the Microsoft updates.My graphic upgrades didn't cause the problem
Taylor7

Re: Response to rolling back before

Postby terrell on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:15 pm

Taylor7 wrote:My graphic upgrades didn't cause the problem

lol. that doesn't make any sense. there's nothing in an ms update (usually security fixes) that's going to affect links. you've allowed the graphics driver to be replaced by the ms idea of an update (usually 3 months behind).

roll back to the original driver, or one you know works. make sure anti-aliasing is disabled or set to application-controlled. add your graphics card, if it isn't already there, to the videocard.txt file.
terrell

Postby grtbrt on Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:55 am

Taylor, I had this prob about 6 months ago also after ms updates.Frequent disqualls followed after similar graphics errors.I found after booting up computer and starting links use the play golf option before going on line and if there is a slight lag before next screen U are going to have problems.Try then logging off,switch off and then restarting computer again its as if my machine needs warming up first, on checking links now there is no lag between option screens and the game plays fine.This works for me its worth a try.Sorry Terrell no techie advice here but it works for me even tho its a slight pain sometimes
grtbrt

Postby terrell on Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:26 pm

grtbrt wrote:Sorry Terrell no techie advice here but it works for me even tho its a slight pain sometimes

actually, logically, there's method to that madness. several years ago, whenever i would update/change graphics drivers, links would never start normally. i had to start the first time with links safe mode. then it would start fine normally thereafter.

there is some technical explanation. some counter not getting set. some pointer in the wrong place. if we had a logic diagram, and an oscilloscope, we could track it down.
terrell

Postby djwoods10 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:08 pm

t rite when you update your grafic driver through ms updates it messes up links
just play and have fun - don
djwoods10

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum