WiFi Adapter for XP Desktop-ok so far

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

WiFi Adapter for XP Desktop-ok so far

Postby Ray420 on Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:03 am

HI -

A couple weeks ago I posted about having problems playing Links 2003 on a HP Win10 laptop.Aiming stick/ball flight in top camera view wasn't working.
I mentioned that I was thinking about getting a USB Wifi Adapter for my older XP desktop computer - which Links plays on with no problem.
Finally went to a local Walmart last night around dinnertime.
Ended up buying a NetGear A6100 Dual Band adapter for $45 USD.Not like I had much of a choice seeing as that's the only ones they had on the rack.Small 'thumb drive' type with no antennas.
Installed driver and plugged adapter into USB slot on back of computer.Clicked on the network I would be using and typed in password.A moment later I was connected with excellent signal strength.As I'm typing this I'm getting just under 400mbps.
Then I opened up Links 2003 to play online.Connected to LSPN tourny with no problem.But I wasn't able to join a tourny (amateur/classic swing) because I don't have a handicap rating yet and I don't have the Microsoft Latrobe course (pay).
But at least I know I can connect to site.
I tried a few other sites just to try connections and had no problems-so far :D
Links is the only gaming I do online so it's not like I need blazing speed for anything.Once in a while I'll download a live concert from a torrent site or send an e-mail so that's about it for my online activities these days.
Probably be next week before I can join a LSPN tourny so will have to wait and see what happens.
Seems strange having internet on the ol' desktop again.

Thanks again to everyone for the info/advice on my original post

Best Wishes,

Ray
The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out - Thomas Macaulay (1800-1859)
Ray420

Re: WiFi Adapter for XP Desktop-ok so far

Postby Bassmaster on Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:25 pm

I have a Net Gear A6200 and have just about quit using it. When it works properly I get a real good signal. I have a 2GB and a 5GB reception signal plus my normal Frontier WiFi signal. The biggest issue with this Net Gear A6200 is that it likes to change frequencies on it's own and that's sometimes during the middle of a Links game.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum