editing / saving rosters Links 2003 v1.07

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

editing / saving rosters Links 2003 v1.07

Postby Colin Jones 2021 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:34 am

Having set up a season in career mode based on the 1984 PGA Tour (using accurate courses where available) I also edited the pro roster with 180 or so actual player names from the 1984 PGA Tour to give it greater authenticity.

Now I have completed the 1984 season, I want to do the same thing for a later PGA Tour (1989), and amend the pro roster to reflect real players from that year; some additions and some deletions, probably some ability tweaks as well. Problem I have found is that the "Rosters" button in the Season Manager only shows the default, fictional player names, not the ones I spent many hours creating. There doesn't appear to be any option for amending a created roster, only editing the default roster again.

Any advice much appreciated.
Colin Jones 2021

Re: editing / saving rosters Links 2003 v1.07

Postby Adelade on Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:32 am

Colin Jones 2021 wrote:[...]

I dont know if either of these are whats missing for your situation, it sounds like you managed to edit the roster in the past so that seems mysterious if you cant again, you ought to be able to see your edited roster in season manager. But I dont know if you might have changed computer or Links installation in between or something for example. Either way, here are some things to keep in mind:

-You need to start a new Career (new player) for any Roster changes to apply.
-When opening the Roster menu in Links season manager, it will first display the Amateur roster, not the Pro roster, you need to select the Pro roster before you can view and edit that one.
-In some situations depending on whether you run Links as admin or have it installed in the default location etc, Links will use files in the VirtualStore location rather than the regular Links folder, and I know from own experience that roster files are among those that can be put in the VirtualStore. You potentially might have two different (Pro) Roster files, one in each of those two locations, one of them being the default one and the other being the one you edited. Make sure theres nothing funny going on with that if nothing else solves your issue. VirtualStore folder (if you have one) is found at.... /User/AppData/Local/VirtualStore then look for Program Files, Links and CareerMode folders I believe.

Postby Colin Jones 2021 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:44 pm

Thanks Adelade,
A year or so ago I reinstalled Links 2003 after my "disappearing feet" problem that I posted on this forum. Prior to that I backed up my (edited) roster files from my Links\careermode folder then replaced the default rosters from my reinstalled Links 2003 folder with the back ups, overwriting the default ones in the new install. In spite of this the "rosters" button in the season manager still takes me to the default rosters. Yes I thought they must have been installed elsewhere as well - if so I can't find them. I have Links 2003 in its own folder on my D drive, not sure what compatibility mode I may have it running under.

Some Links files end up in the "documents" folder under "This PC" which has a "career" subfolder but this only contains saved players, not rosters. There is no folder called VirtualStore anywhere under "Users" on my PC.

So I spent most of Saturday editing my Pro roster, managing to find 160-odd pro player names for 1989 from pgatour.com and have now started my 1989 season. One thing I've learned is that the "test roster" button sends an Excel file to the main Links 2003 folder, surprisingly enough called "TEST Roster - Pro Roster" etc. Shame I can't do my edits using that which would be a quicker way.
Colin Jones 2021

Postby Adelade on Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:39 am

Colin Jones 2021 wrote:There is no folder called VirtualStore anywhere under "Users" on my PC.

I should have clarified better before, the path should be User\[your username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore , and normally if you dont have hidden folders showing within file explorer settings, you cant see AppData. Nevertheless, if you didnt install Links in the default location that probably means you dont have any Links files in a VirtualStore location anyway, but Im not 100% sure about that so it could perhaps be worth checking (if you didnt already, Im just mentioning it since I realize the vague file path I mentioned in my last message was potentially misleading)

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum