ball/aimer not showing in camera view-HP Win10 laptop

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

ball/aimer not showing in camera view-HP Win10 laptop

Postby Ray420 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:30 am

Hi - I'm having problems with the golf ball and aiming stick not showing up in the top camera view.The ball will show up for a split second about halfway through flight then quickly disappears again.This happens either online or offline.
Ball & aiming stick shows up fine in main playing window.
I'm playing on a HP15 (15" screen) Windows 10 laptop that is almost 5 years old.
I've tried XP w: SP3 compatibility mode & then non-compatibility mode and still the same problem.The game plays fine.No lags,graphics are fine,swing meter works fine.

Any ideas/help/suggestions is appreciated..

Ray
The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out - Thomas Macaulay (1800-1859)
Ray420

Re: ball/aimer not showing in camera view-HP Win10 laptop

Postby Bassmaster on Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:30 am

That seems to be a common problem on laptops with Windows 10. The ball flight on my overhead view acts like it's going through shadows.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Ray420 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:18 pm

Rick - Thanks for the reply

I just came across an older post that mentioned Andy Hope's Direct3D 'fix'.I downloaded it but after reading install instructions decided it might not be worth the hassle,so didn't install it.
I play Amateur skill level.The only time I use the aiming stick in top camera view is for driving or if the flag is hidden behind trees.
Using the top view to aim still works when clicking on a spot on the fairway,it's just that the stick doesn't show up.No biggie overall,just thought there might be a quick simple fix.

Ray
The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out - Thomas Macaulay (1800-1859)
Ray420

Postby rwoodworkr on Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:33 pm

Ray420 wrote:Hi - I'm having problems with the golf ball and aiming stick not showing up in the top camera view...

I think the only other solution is to upgrade your video card, but Installing the Voodoo Direct X Wrapper worked well for me.
rwoodworkr

Postby Ray420 on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:47 am

r - Thanks for the reply

Yesterday afternoon I finally tried the Voodoo graphics fix.Copied & pasted the 4 .dll files from MS folder into Links.Did the same thing with the 'Glide' files.Then opened the control panel .exe.
It did fix the ball/aimer no-show problem but caused the game to play in slow motion.Plus I had to click on the Links desktop icon 2-3 times to get the game to load.
Maybe I didn't set options right in the control panel?
I ended up deleting the dll & glide files from the Links folder.Game is back to normal - but still with the no-show problem.
What I might end up doing is buying a USB WiFi adapter for my somewhat older XP desktop computer (non-internet) that the game plays fine on.Plus I would be playing on a much bigger monitor.

How's this for weather in Connecticut -

Today(Sat 12th): 55 degrees - near record high or will be record high
Tomorrow(Sun 13th): low 30's with an inch of snow

New England - gotta love It :D

Again - Thanks for replies & suggestions...

Ray
Ray420

Postby pmgolf on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:51 am

Ray, I used a USB WiFi adapter for years with no problems. Good luck! :D

Pete
pmgolf

Postby Bassmaster on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:42 pm

Ray420 wrote:
How's this for weather in Connecticut -

Today(Sat 12th): 55 degrees - near record high or will be record high
Tomorrow(Sun 13th): low 30's with an inch of snow

New England - gotta love It :D

Again - Thanks for replies & suggestions...

Ray

High today of 94 degrees and a low of 32 degrees last night. 10% humidity. Green Acres, California. Elevation 1580
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby rwoodworkr on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:21 pm

Desktop XP is the way to go.
70 degrees here in southern Oregon tomorrow. Almost 4 years ago to the day, we had 2 feet of snow in our yard.
rwoodworkr

Postby Ray420 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:31 am

Yep - Will be going to Walmart in the next few days for Wifi adapter..

Tried playing 3rd round of WM @ Scottsdale tourny yesterday afternoon.
Sky was black with small even-spaced light blue squares.Decided to play anyways.7th or 8th hole the game fritzed.Was able to restart and continue.Hole 13th game fritzed again (VGA error or something like that)and I ended up being disqualified.
So something got snafu-bared.Resolution was set at 1024x720 32 bit I think.Laptop has Intel 3D graphics.
Ended up uninstalling game.Of course - I couldn't find Links 2003 discs.I know they're right here somewhere.
Earlier this evening I fired up the desktop and played 9 holes on a few different courses.Game is much more enjoyable on 24" monitor and nice to have aiming stick/ball flight in top camera view.

This is the first time I played Links online in a few years.Used to play as Casual Player.
It took a few tries before I realized I had to upgrade to Tour Player before I could join any tournaments.

Maybe if you guys are lucky,I'll bore you with a quick message about how I made out with the WiFi adapter...

Rick - 'Green Acres is the place to be...' Say Hi to Oliver & Lisa for me :D

30 degrees & 2" of snow today(Sun)...In the teens w: wind chill tomorrow (Mon) then 55-60 degrees Thur.

Best wishes to you & yours,
Ray

PS - Long story short,I'm on somebody's Xfinity Wifi modem.I'm not online that much these days anyways so they're cool about me using WiFi.It's just that they don't want a Cat 5 cable being hooked-up to back of modem.I got the laptop Summer 2017 to take with me on a 4 day round trip train ride to Denver that Sept.So getting an adapter for the desktop wasn't really important.
Ray420

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum