Swing Meter far too fast and other issues

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Swing Meter far too fast and other issues

Postby whisky on Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:19 pm

I know this has somewhere been discussed. Now that I have Links setup on a newish machine, swing meter is very, very fast, even at amateur level. Occasionally, when putting it suddenly slows a lot, but most of the time fast, and at Pro level at times unplayable. Also, very erratic. As is course speed. eg, At times when course is 'Soft Slow', it plays like an express train, and at Firm Fast, sometimes crawls! And I have what I call 'Rouge' shots. eg, pitch for 40 yards, and suddenly it goes 170! This happens at least once every round. Any ideas anyone?

Eddie B
whisky

Re: Swing Meter far too fast and other issues

Postby pmgolf on Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:15 am

You might try this to see if it helps:

A little-known set of keystrokes will shut down all active programs at once in no time. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then Alt-T to open Task Manager's Applications tab. Press the down arrow, and then Shift-down arrow to select all the programs listed in the window.

I'm thinking that something may be running off and on in the background (like Norton or McAfee) and screwing up your swing meter. Worth a try!

Pete
pmgolf

Re: Swing Meter far too fast and other issues

Postby whisky on Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:09 am

pmgolf wrote:You might try this to see if it helps:

A little-known set of keystrokes will shut down all active programs at once in no time. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then Alt-T to open Task Manager's Applications tab. Press the down arrow, and then Shift-down arrow to select all the programs listed in the window.

I'm thinking that something may be running off and on in the background (like Norton or McAfee) and screwing up your swing meter. Worth a try!

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply, but I am conversant with the machine and aware that at times stuff can SLOW the swing, but my problem is the rapid speed of the swing! I rarely get a good clean snap at amateur level, very rarely at Pro. And I've been playing this game in all its iterations from the Commadore 64 days of Carver Bros 'Leaderboard'! But this past couple of years have been awful. Bad snaps, rouge shots, inconstant course speed, and an absolute reluctance of the ball to go into the hole. It stops LESS than an inch time and time again! No matter how I play, but if I do add extra swing then the ball goes into orbit! I am very, very frustrated! Oh, and the one program that DID have an effect, was my virus app, TREND. It would interfere with score downloading and I would be disqualified! Took a while to identify this. There seems no easy way to sort this out, so go into Trend Tools, select uninstall tab, and then 'Stop all components' This solved the problem. Anything else will prob require a Psychiatrist!
Cheers
Eddie B
whisky

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum