laptops cannot display links properly

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

laptops cannot display links properly

Postby whisky on Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:03 pm

Hi all, I usually play links on my main machine(s), have been able to configure for my desktop with nVidia RTX series with no probs. My old laptop with XP fine with intel integrated graphics but very slow. However, I have two modern laptops which supposedly have high-power RTX series nVidia graphics, but I CANNOT get them to work. The system locks into the Intel's iris graphics and I just can't get any resolution settings to work properly. I cannot defualt to nVidias's graphics, so I am stuck. My latest machine is an Asus TUF 15'' which has an RTX3050 Ti series card but cannot defualt to it for Links. Anyone help?

ta

Eddie B
whisky

Re: laptops cannot display links properly

Postby Adelade on Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:44 am

Assuming you already have the Nvidia patch, it seems very likely that this following fix should solve your issue, a lot of Linksters use it successfully (including myself) so I wouldnt worry about the warnings (but do read them at least): https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788 (see just the first post and where it leads to)

Postby whisky on Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:52 am

Adelade wrote:Assuming you already have the Nvidia patch, it seems very likely that this following fix should solve your issue, a lot of Linksters use it successfully (including myself) so I wouldnt worry about the warnings (but do read them at least): https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788 (see just the first post and where it leads to)

Thanks for that, Adelade, yes, I now remember....I did once, a long time ago try but my sys and virus blocked it and I did not risk. But his time, just carried on, at the first try at play the warnings came up and a lot of screen flashes, but on exit I saw that my virus and windows were blocking 2 files, so I unblocked and played again and all good on the Dell laptop which has, I think, an nVidia GTX card. But on my Asus Tuf, which has an RXT card, everything works except the break line indicator.

Eddie B
whisky

Postby whisky on Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:17 pm

Just a further update. Though links plays well, mostly, on both laptops, it still has issues. Tends to crash at times and suddenly, I find that at the end of a round, during which it seemed to save data without probs, I find that I get the dredded 999 disqualified score! Cant be bothered with all the stuff I did on the desktop. So can't play online with laptop. Will see what offline does'

Eddie
whisky

Postby Bassmaster on Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:48 am

I had some issues with Windows 8.0 but Links absolutely refused to play on Windows 8.1 so I reverted back to Windows 8.0. That laptop died and I got a Windows 10 laptop now. But both 8 and 10 had issues, mainly with the graphics which caused me to crash. I installed the Nividea patch on both computers and switched my graphics resolution to the lower setting of 1280x720 32 bit. I rarely have issues now and my swing meter is a good size and I can see the graphics pretty good.

Rick
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum