Running Links Extreme on W10 query

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Running Links Extreme on W10 query

Postby Slattery on Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Good morning,

After several attempts, I have almost got Links Extreme running on Windows 10.
I have got to the the stage where I can get the game to install and it is just about to start when I get an error pop up saying "Direct Draw INIT failed".
Has anyone managed to get around this error and get the game to run?
Thank you
Intel i7 4970K Devils Canyon CPU - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Motherboard - NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 Graphics Card - 256GB SSD - RAM 16GB - Windows 10 64 bit - Asus 4K PG27AQ Monitor - Xbox One Controller - NBN 100Mbps Connection (100/40)
Slattery

Re: Running Links Extreme on W10 query

Postby Mississippi on Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:29 pm

Wow i remember that stupid game :shock: I can't imagine any serious links player having kept that game with the wild courses, and the exploding golf balls :lol: So i wish you luck on finding anyone here playing it period.

Now for your actual problem...Direct Draw is a 2d API which means it contains commands for 2d rendering and does not support 3d hardware acceleration. It has been deprecated since version 7 of DirectX which means to get that game to play you will have to remove your current version of DirectX12, and time warp your computer back to the 90ies with a copy of DirectX7 or lower.

Not really practical since then all your other programs that require 3d acceleration would be rendered useless.
Mississippi

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum