DVI cable...is it worthwhile?

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

DVI cable...is it worthwhile?

Postby txTarHeel on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:09 am

My old CRT monitor died recently and I replaced it with a 17" LCD. I'm still using a generic, analog cable (D-sub/VGA/RGB...whatever you want to call it) but I was curious if it's worthwhile to spend a few bucks on a DVI cable (which is the only other input this monitor accepts). Is the picture and/or performance much better when using a DVI cable?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

---Lonnie
txTarHeel

Postby terrell on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:23 am

terrell

Re: DVI cable...is it worthwhile?

Postby BruceWallace on Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:28 pm

txTarHeel wrote:My old CRT monitor died recently and I replaced it with a 17" LCD. I'm still using a generic, analog cable (D-sub/VGA/RGB...whatever you want to call it) but I was curious if it's worthwhile to spend a few bucks on a DVI cable (which is the only other input this monitor accepts). Is the picture and/or performance much better when using a DVI cable?

---Lonnie

I'll give you a more simple answer than Terrell's read. If your video card has a DVI out, then most definitely get the DVI cable. The picture is much better than analog.
BruceWallace

Postby txTarHeel on Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Thanks folks. I guess I'll get the cable.

BTW, I enjoyed reading the article in T's post. Good info there.

---Lonnie
txTarHeel

Postby terrell on Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:43 pm

you could always do what i do, and goto fry's, and let them demo it for you. it makes sense that more leads and better shielding will result in a better display. but i don't believe anything that i read, and only half what i see. unless bruce says so, of course. (8
terrell

Re: DVI cable...is it worthwhile?

Postby canuck on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:42 pm

txTarHeel wrote:My old CRT monitor died recently and I replaced it with a 17" LCD. I'm still using a generic, analog cable (D-sub/VGA/RGB...whatever you want to call it) but I was curious if it's worthwhile to spend a few bucks on a DVI cable (which is the only other input this monitor accepts). Is the picture and/or performance much better when using a DVI cable?

---Lonnie

if you get 1 make sure its DVI-D
DVI-D is digital only
DVI-A is analog only
DVI-I is digital & analog but some monitors with DVI-I have trouble deciding which mode to run in and mostly run as analog.

chris
canuck

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum