windows update wednesday?

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

windows update wednesday?

Postby terrell on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:12 am

my xp machine had four critical windows updates this morning, for those of you that think turning off windows updates is a good idea.
terrell

I put reminder in calendar

Postby Pappy on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:26 am

I have mine disabled but I have a reminder on my calendar to chdck for updates every Wed. This way I can update on MY time!
Pappy (Pete)
Pappy

Postby terrell on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:36 am

excellent idea, rather than simply accepting them willy-nilly, pappy.
terrell

Postby djwoods10 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:14 am

mines off t but i check mine every other day
just play and have fun - don
djwoods10

Postby terrell on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:35 am

i think the easiest thing to do is let automatic updates check for you, and notify you if there are updates available. i let updates be downloaded, then it notifies me they are available. i suppose it's somewhat easier if you're a broadband user, and updates only take a coupla seconds to download. dialup somewhat complicates matters.
terrell

Postby gibby on Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Same here T, then when it tries to update my graphics driver i uncheck it and install almost everything else
gibby

Postby terrell on Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:01 pm

windows updates used to try to update my graphics card drivers, but it hasn't in several years. i think i clicked on something once that told it not to try again, but i forget exactly.
terrell

Postby Fraser on Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:33 pm

terrell wrote:windows updates used to try to update my graphics card drivers, but it hasn't in several years. i think i clicked on something once that told it not to try again, but i forget exactly.

You probably put a tick in the box for do not show this update again at the Windows Update sight...a good idea for updates you don't want...if you ever do want to see what you have done that to, you can click on show hidden updates...I have a lot hidden, and every once in a while(usually after a hardware change), I check to see if there might be something I want...as far as automatic updates goes, I have it set to notify me when they're available, and then pick the ones I want to d/l and install...yes, I do have broadband, not really an option I guess with dialup...I also check the Microsoft Update site every couple of weeks for my Office updates, and anything automatic might have missed.
Fraser

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum