Links 2003 starts under W10 but crashes on "New Round"

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Links 2003 starts under W10 but crashes on "New Round"

Postby ondersma80 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:47 am

Long time player attempting to come back from hiatus.

Desktop System: Intel i7-6700K, Z170 motherboard, Windows 10, NVIDIA GTX 1070, Xonar GSX Soundcard

I have the game up and running with the 1.07 patch and the nvidia patch. After some fiddling I have the game in c:\links2003 as permissions seemed an issue under \program files x86. The game launches fine and says "3D Acceleration by NVIDIA GTX 1070" at the bottom. All is fine and it goes to the main menu. I can go to options and change settings such as graphics, game, sound etc. What I cannot do is click "players" under options. If I do that, it crashes back to the desktop and disappears. Further, if I launch the game and pick "Practice" I can choose a course, player, etc and start the round. In practice I can see the course, swing, go about my happy time. However, if I launch and pick "New Round", it immediately crashes just like it does under Options/player.

Anyone have a tip for me on this one? Thank you in advance.
ondersma80

Re: Links 2003 starts under W10 but crashes on "New Round"

Postby rwoodworkr on Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:19 pm

Someone may have a better solution, but I'm thinking reinstall. Is the program from an original disc or was it downloaded?
rwoodworkr

Postby ondersma80 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:11 am

I have tried multiple installations from both the disc and download. I have tried applying the 1.07 patch then the nvidia patch, I have tried just the 1.07, just the nvidia, and nvidia patch then 1.07. Pretty much every combination I can think of. It just seems so odd it crashes on "new round" but not on practice.

Here is a video of what it does:

https://youtu.be/7xW-y3GGNnk
ondersma80

Postby GoBucks on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:07 am

No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby Adelade on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:25 am

Seems odd that it works in practice mode and not otherwise. Im not sure, but some things you could try look into:
-Running Links as administrator instead of without.
-Running links from LinksMMIII.exe instead of the Launcher (preferably as administrator).
-Since it crashes on the player settings page too, maybe its something about a corrupt player file, or some other corrupt file that isnt removed with uninstalling. I wouldnt want you to lose any files you treasure so backup copy stuff where prudent, but maybe its possible to delete stuff inside locations such as C:\ProgramData\Links 2003 (ProgramData is a hidden folder) in between uninstalling and reinstalling? Same for C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Links 2003. Again, if doing so make sure you save backups of anything you delete somewhere else just in case. Could be worth trying anyway.

Have you checked if any other modes work? Quick Start, Career Mode, Online? Might not matter but perhaps could give clues as to what the problem might be.

(If wanting more detailed instructions for how to accomplish any of the above just ask)

Postby ondersma80 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:15 am

The part about it working in practice but not new round really kept me working at this.

I have the downloaded version of 1.05 as my main source which installs to 2k games folder. I uninstalled and deleted everything manually. I had files under 2k games, links2003, and microsoft games. Uninstalling takes away the 2k games folder so I manually deleted the other folders. I then followed gobucks procedure including adding the patch executable(s) into the folder before running. I noticed at this point it makes the target the microsoft games folder even thought the bulk of the game is in 2k games. I made sure that all still said 2k games.

And... boom. Playing Links via new round. Now I just need to practice as it seems I am a Links chump now after a 5-7 year hiatus. Thank you to everyone that offered advice and got me to slow down and dot the i's and cross the t's during installation.
ondersma80

Postby whisky on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:54 am

Hi, I'm Eddie and like you, also came back to links after a break of some years. And like you I am stuck with Win 10. I did have similar probs but sorted out gameplay issues, but what I could NOT at all resolve, was online tourney play. I would keep getting the dreaded 999 on the online progress window, indicating I had been disqualified. Many, many others had, and still are having the same issues. Despite months of tweaks and short periods of 'resolution', the problem would simply not go away. I ended up finding an old Sony laptop with XP pro on it and it runs fine, though slow. I route the VGA signal out to my 23" Asus Pro monitor and it looks good. My main question to yo is: Are you able to play online tourneys without issue? If so, have you used any setting or security tweaks that work?
Thanks
Eddie B
whisky

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum