XP to the rescue?

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

XP to the rescue?

Postby whisky on Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:57 am

Happy New Year to all! Well, like many, I have had my probs with Win10. A couple of weeks ago I returned from Hols in India, and, just out of curiosity I again fired up my super-duper new blazing fast win 10 setup (actually bought for video and photo editing). And for a week or so it was super. No crashes and played and played and played and....I went for coffee, came back and the sys had decided to update and bang! No matter what I tried nothing worked. Tried on my win 10 Dell XPS 9550 laptop and same story. I have had a number of laptops hanging around, got rid of most and cleaned a heap of HDD's. Then, fished in my cubby hole and hey, found an OLD Soney FJ model laptop. Fished further and found a heap of HDDs, chose one and bingo! It still had XP Pro and even Links still on it! (All other small drives had been wiped form other laptops!) Had to do some work on partitioning etc as C drive was short of space, but got it all worked out, extra files transferred and started up. Despite being over 12 years old, logged onto my braodband modem without issue - had previously had probs with ADSL. Played a round and no probs at all. Then took the baby to my 'kennel' and connected up to my 23" ASUS ips screen. Great pic, auto configured and off on another round. No dreaded '999', clean round. SO have set up machine on desk next to the ASUS screen, and simply have to change monitor to VGA input when laptop on. Now a matter of seeing if, like my old ASUS desktop, I can play and play without the dreaded disqualifications.
And, interestingly, the old laptop uses Intel integrated graphics, my DELL laptop also has that and supposedly nVIdia but the latter is known not to work properly, and on the Dell, the overhead hole display does not show the path of the ball, but on the OLD laptop with Intel graphics it is good!

And there was I wondering whether to buy an 'el-cheapo' Win 7 sys! Yes, the XP is quite a bit slower, but, that is fine, and as the program was virtually written for it all seems good. Will see how things pan out....fingers crossed
Eddie B
whisky

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum