Windows 10 disqualification and 999 errors (SOLVED!)

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Windows 10 disqualification and 999 errors (SOLVED!)

Postby whisky on Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:48 am

OK, some will have read my dramas re disqualification and server disconnection at hole 2 and such matters.
At times I thought I had solved the issue, Mississippi gave me some pointers re Windows Firewall, but sadly, I found that, despite tweaking of Inbound and Outbound 'Rules', I still suffered the dreaded 999 usually after the 2nd hole, but sometimes much later. I did have a little success re-installing after every round but usually only for one round. I even tried to remove all references to Links 2003 in the registry, but to no avail. Incidentally, there were 2 that I could not remove, which might explain why, after uninstalling the game, when I re-installed my old game name was still there!

Well, finally, I turned Windows Firewall OFF! You see, I DO have TREND, but I considered that the 'extra' protection that Windows 10 offered was perhaps worthwhile.
As soon as I had turned it off, BINGO! I have played round after round and a few tournaments totally without issue. So back to where I was 10 years ago, though not half as skilled!

So for others running Windows 10 and who may be having probs. get a separate virus etc program, and ditch Windows Defender! It works!

Eddie B (Aka 'Whisky')
whisky

Re: Windows 10 disqualification and 999 errors (SOLVED!)

Postby Bassmaster on Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:25 pm

Good to hear! I had an issue with Links after a automatic Windows 10 update. I had to uninstall and and reinstall Links but still had the same issue. Uninstalled again and found some Links remnants left behind. I ended up shredding Links thru an Avast program that totally got rid of Links and I was able to reinstall Links without issues.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby whisky on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:38 pm

Bassmaster wrote:Good to hear! I had an issue with Links after a automatic Windows 10 update. I had to uninstall and and reinstall Links but still had the same issue. Uninstalled again and found some Links remnants left behind. I ended up shredding Links thru an Avast program that totally got rid of Links and I was able to reinstall Links without issues.

Interesting! Yes,Win10 has a habit of doing such things. Took a look at Avast, but $70 for one year subscription a bit much! Did you use the full program or the online free app. I did try a couple I had without success, but I do have more somewhere and actually, Microsoft have a program that can do it but I think it is a bit convoluted. Seems that often programs leave Reg Keys with null values, which is why you can't normally delete. It is often owing to a crash or is simply an unintentional invalid entry.
I'm off on hols in a week so won't bother playing around, but on return might just see if I can get rid of the Reg Keys after uninstalling.

Cheers
Eddie B
whisky

Postby whisky on Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:31 am

ARRHHH NOT SOLVED! After 19 good rounds, crashed back to the dreaded 999 on two consecutive rounds. No No idea...close to calling it quits totally! Very disappointed. Was the server down?
Eddie B
whisky

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum