Installing a new course in Links 2003

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Installing a new course in Links 2003

Postby tedaus on Fri May 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Installing a new course in Links

Postby tedaus on Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 pm
The course I want to install is in "Courses" but, when I go to Course Manager and press "Add" the course I want to add is absent from the list that pops up in the center of the screen. How do I get it to appear there so I can add it to the courses I can play?

tedaus

tedaus

Re: Installing a new course in Links 2003

Postby Blade on Fri May 17, 2019 2:48 pm

Why don't you look at your 1st Post on the same subject in Talk About It - Gibby has already responded with an Answer.
Blade

Postby Bassmaster on Fri May 17, 2019 4:31 pm

I'll just "copy and paste" the CRZ. file directly into my COURSES folder.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Redskin on Sat May 18, 2019 12:52 pm

It sounds like you just downloaded the course and put the download into your courses file. Make sure you unzip the downloaded file and copy ONLY the .crz to the courses folder.
Jim
Redskin

Postby tedaus on Mon May 27, 2019 9:41 pm

The course is in the Course folder, but in trying to Add it in Course Manager, it doesn't get recognized and doesn't get added.
tedaus

Postby AZWilly on Tue May 28, 2019 5:41 am

After adding the course to your courses folder, did you close, then restart, links. You need to in order for it to show up. You can't add a course while your game is running. Just a thought.
patience is a virtue few possess
AZWilly

Postby Armand on Tue May 28, 2019 9:41 pm

Add the course to the \Virtual Store directory and it will appear. First, enable hidden files and folders/directories to be displayed in File Explorer. Then, go here:
%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\Courses

Copy your course to that directory, and it should show up in the game.

I strongly suggest that people learn about elevated privileges and how the \VirtualStore directory is used. Here is a decent summary, albeit a bit technical:
...the hidden VirtualStore folder is part of the virtualization technology that was introduced in Windows Vista. This was intended as a compatibility feature to allow old programs to continue working when using User Account Control and running as a Standard User. This was a temporary fix intended to be removed in some later release of Windows.

For a program to be eligible for virtualization, it must be 32bit <Links 2003>, not running with administrator rights and must not have been compiled with a manifest file indicating it is for Vista or later. (You can see the virtualization status of a program by adding the Virtualization column to the Processes page in Task Manager.)

When a virtualized program attempts to write to a protected location such as Program Files, Windows will intercept the access denied response and redirect the write to C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore, which is a hidden folder.

When a virtualized program attempts to read from a protected location, Windows will first check for a copy of the file in VirtualStore. If it finds it, it will use that copy. Otherwise it will attempt to read from the original file.

This normally works fine if you always use the program and the files it creates from a Standard User account. You can see that if you are trying to use the files from other programs which are not virtualized or sometimes you run with Administrator rights, you will be reading and writing different locations and seeing inconsistent results. For example, you write a file to Program Files as a Standard User, it gets redirected to VirtualStore. You later run a program with Administrator rights and try to read this file. Since you are not virtualized, Windows will read directly from Program Files and not find the file there.

In my words, when you run the game with administrative privileges (that is, right-click the EXE or game shortcut, choose 'Run as Administrator' or right-click and select properties, then the compatibility tab, and check the box that says "Always run as administrator"), it will write the files to the "normal" and expected location in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003. My suggestion is to always install and run the game with administrative privileges to avoid the confusion of \VirtualStore. Another option is to install the game outside of the C:\Program Files (x86)\ directory, such as C:\Links2003.
Armand

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum