can't load courses

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

can't load courses

Postby Jimboroks1 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:12 pm

I went thru the processes of extracting the course file , moving it to the courses folder, and loading it into the game,BUT it never shows up in the list. What can I do ? Please help me.
Jimboroks1

Re: can't load courses

Postby dick_burt on Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:11 am

Sometimes when downloading a new course, it makes a sub-directory in the course directory,
Check in the explorer course directory.
Not knowing what OS you have, check in the virtual store, it might have been put there,
D i c k Burt
dick_burt

Postby Armand on Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:54 am

I'd also guess that you have moved the CRZ to the wrong \Courses folder. I'm guessing, based on the course not showing up in the game, that you need to copy the CRZ to the hidden folder:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program FIles (386)\Links 2003\Courses
or
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program FIles (386)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\Courses
Armand

Postby Jimboroks1 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:06 am

The courses at first were there but for some reason they are now unrecognized by the game.

Jimboroks1
Jimboroks1

Postby Redskin on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Did you go to the Course Manager in Links and click on Add each course to the game?
Redskin

Postby Armand on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:48 pm

My reply to your thread about "unnamed courses" may help. But first, you really need to clean up the Links installation.

It sounds to me like you may have changed the way the game was installed and/or launched, which now leaves some items in the "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (386)\Links 2003" folder and some in the "C:\Program Files (386)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003" folder. Starting the game "as an administrator" will read the "C:\Program Files...." folder, while starting the game normally will read the "C:\Users...\VirtualStore..." folder. This can be quite confusing and leads to many issues like:
- where are my courses
- why aren't my [censored] showing up
- skies aren't available
- etc.

I don't know of a way to clean this up other than manually. I'd go to both of the paths and move out all of your personal data (including courses, skies, animations, players, saved games, etc.) into a folder on your desktop. Then, uninstall Links completely (having saved all your personal data, CRZ, SSF, etc.) and then reboot and re-install the game to C:\Links2003. Re-add the patches to C:\Links2003, re-add your personal data, CRZ, ANI, L3, SKY, SSF, etc. files to C:\Links2003 from your desktop.

It will be like starting fresh but without the confusion of the \VirtualStore.
Armand

Postby Jimboroks1 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 pm

I found that relosding the course worls. Thank you.

jimborols1
Jimboroks1

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum