new system 2003 v1.07 crashing on startup

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: new system 2003 v1.07 crashing on startup

Postby cooncat on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:48 pm

RESOLVED!

Okay, I deleted my previous install.
I then tried to let 2003 install on the C: drive (full install). At that point, I tried to play it, but I got an error saying it could not read Disk 1 in my ODD. So, I tried to install the V1.07 update, so that it wouldn't require the CD to be in the drive. I couldn't install that update, as Windows 7 protected everything on the C: drive, so no update was possible.

So, I deleted that installation, and re-installed to my E: drive (E:\Links 2003\ ). I again tried to run it right after the install, and again it said it couldn't read DISK 1 in my ODD. So, I applied the v1.07 update. This time, unprotected, the V1.07 update succeeded. I then ran the game, and it worked fine. I reset the game resolution to match the PC resolution of 1680 x 1050 16 bit color. I created a player. Everything worked, but I didn't want to have to re-do all my personalizations, so I copied the contents of my old computer's E:\Links 2003 folder to the new computer. I also had to copy the PLAYER data which is on the C: drive in the Program Data folder.

Pretty much have it all back to normal except for modified sound scripts and relocating my saved shots. I was able to log onto the Links 2003 server (LSPN) .. so, after a week of aggravation, I appear to have the problem solved.

Nvidia Support did send my some changes to make to my 3D settings, which I did prior to all the uninstall/re-install baloney. When I made the changes, I tried to play, and Links still crashed, so I don't think it had anything to do with the 3D settings.

Hopefully my saga will be helpful to someone else down the road.
Thanks to those who offered input ...
Hit them FAR and hit them straight ..
Bill <cooncat>
cooncat

Re: new system 2003 v1.07 crashing on startup

Postby Mississippi on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Glad your up and running....enjoy!
Mississippi

Previous

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum