course copy

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

course copy

Postby Jimboroks1 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:56 pm

When I download courses on my computer , is there any reason they would be duplicated to another folder?

jimboroks
Jimboroks1

Re: course copy

Postby Tresclub on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:07 pm

Jimboroks1 wrote:When I download courses on my computer , is there any reason they would be duplicated to another folder?

jimboroks

When you get ready to unzip the course file, take a peak at the path it's going to. In some cases, the person who zippes up the file(s), sticks a path in there.
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby Armand on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:21 pm

If you use the Course Manager to install courses from a different directory/folder that the default (\Links 2003\Courses), it will ask if you want to copy the newly installed course to the \Course directory/folder (it indicates it will improve performance!). Personally, I don't think it will improve performance, but if you respond YES, then it will copy the CRZ from it's location outside of the \Courses folder to the \Courses folder - thus giving you two copies of the same CRZ file. This is a waste of hard drive space!

Another possibility is if you drag them from one drive/partition to another, it will not MOVE the file, it will copy it. Finally, if you start to drag them and your mouse 'clicks', it may create a copy of them unexpectedly.

Armand
Armand

Postby Jimboroks1 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:54 pm

In the main Links golf course I have 18+ GB of courses . In the courses folder in Program files, I have 7+ GB of courses , no doubt doubling some of the courses in the main folder. in MY Computer , I only have 1+ GB left . Thus,the concern. I really don't need any extra GB taken up, you see?

Jimboroks
Jimboroks1

Postby terrell on Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:43 am

Jimboroks1 wrote:I only have 1+ GB left .

huge problem, jim. many of your programs (not just links) are not going to have enough space to write temp files. i strongly urge you to offload/delete as much info as you don't need. install a larger hard drive or an additional hard drive. buy an external usb/firewire drive to store pictures or links courses.
terrell

Postby Crissy on Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:05 am

Jimboroks1 wrote:In the main Links golf course I have 18+ GB of courses . In the courses folder in Program files, I have 7+ GB of courses , no doubt doubling some of the courses in the main folder. in MY Computer , I only have 1+ GB left . Thus,the concern. I really don't need any extra GB taken up, you see?

Jimboroks

The easiest way for you to find out what doubles you have would be to take all your courses, a few at a time because you have no space left ( I gig ) and add all the ones from the smallest folders to the biggest folder you can ether over write the duplicate files or not its up to you but the ones not in that folder will be added ether way. Then once done delete the smaller folders reassuring yourself at this time you only have one copy of each course.You should get some hard drive space back that is assuming you do indeed have duplicate courses. Then just add you courses again from the main folder you have left through links.

Now at the end of this all you still find you need more hard drive space you could take a bunch and just burn them to CD/DVD and delete those altogether from you hard drive thus saving you lots of space. Again just go into Links and add the courses again so Links nos there on a CD/DVD.

Just a note Links does not really play courses from CD/DVD it moves the course you are playing to a temp directory on your PC and plays if from there so you need not worry about performance.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby Jimboroks1 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:11 pm

Thank you Chrissy. It worked well.

JiMBOROKS
Jimboroks1

Postby Crissy on Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Jimboroks1 wrote:Thank you Chrissy. It worked well.

JiMBOROKS

Your very welcome, glad things worked out for you ok.

Crissy
Crissy

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum