Links game files

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Links game files

Postby brubeck on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:37 pm

After I play a round my files, score,gamestat, are going to Virtual store. Any idea how to correct that?
Like to get them back where they belong.
Thanks for any help.

Brubeck
brubeck

Re: Links game files

Postby Armand on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:36 am

Start Links with elevated administrative privileges to "correct" this behaviour.

Right-click your shortcut for Links.
Select Properties
Choose the Compatibility tab
Find and check the box that says "Run with administrative privileges" (or similar)
Click Apply/OK

When you start Links from this newly modified shortcut, you will be prompted to allow the program access to your files. Answer yes, and then your saved games, game stats, etc. can be saved in the "typical" location (i.e., in C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft\Links 2003).

*** NOTE: Your player and course stats are also saved in the Virtual Store. Changing this will cause you to "lose" your player and course stats or at least be reset to their state before the Virtual Store folder was used. Ideally, you should find the \Virtual Store directory and move ALL of the Links-related files from the virtual store back to the "normal" location.

If you are not sure where the files are "normally" stored, you can use the online spreadsheet linked below to guide you. To find the "normal" location, select the "Don't Know" option in the 4th drop down and it will show all possible locations of the files.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Armand

Postby brubeck on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks Armand, I'll try what you suggest and let ya know if it worked.

Brubeck :D :D
brubeck

Postby brubeck on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:46 am

Thanks again, worked like a charm.

Brubeck
brubeck

Postby Armand on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:14 pm

You're welcome.

For future reference, if you install the game outside of the C:\Program Files directory, the Virtual Store directory will not be used and you don't have to run with elevated administrative privileges. I suggest installing to C:\Links 2003 under Win7 and later operating systems. You just need to ensure that patches are also installed to that same directory.
Armand

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum