Document Viewer etc etc

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Document Viewer etc etc

Postby zland on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:48 am

Hi
I have a new PC and decided to start playing links 2003 again as you do lol

Anyway first of all i kept getting an error message when i tried to download the patch for v1.05 , saying 'Error opening file for writing' well have got past that now.
My latest problem is everytime i go to launch it says

'Windows - No Disk'

There is no disk in the drive, Please insert disk into drive

and options Cancel , Try Again and Continue

if i select continue it takes me into game anyway which cant be right surely as why ask for it?
Also we try to play via the online option Links Matchmaker and whoever doesnt host cannot get into the game the PC just freezes and wont let us play, we both have V1.05 thx to the download

Also keep getting the game freeze and document viewer trying to do stuu

I have installed and re installed loads of times if anyone suggests that

Thanks in advance to thos ethat have any ideas to help me!

Z
zland

Re: Document Viewer etc etc

Postby terrell on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:30 am

zland wrote:My latest problem is everytime i go to launch it says

'Windows - No Disk'

if i select continue it takes me into game anyway which cant be right surely as why ask for it?

that seems to be a common problem with the download versions of links. i'm assuming it's the download versions because i've never gotten the message. i think thogan suggested once putting any disk in the cd/dvd drive suppressed the error message, or got rid of it altogether. i forget.

zland wrote:Also we try to play via the online option Links Matchmaker and whoever doesnt host cannot get into the game the PC just freezes and wont let us play, we both have V1.05 thx to the download

rather than clicking 'connect', double click on the multiplayer game you wanna join. i forget who discovered that, but it seemed to work for everyone.

edit: oh yeah, and reinstall links (i'm just messin' wid ya).
terrell

Postby Crissy on Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:13 pm

If one has the disc they could make an image file with alcohol 120% and then just mount the image. The copy protection for links is safedisc 2/3/4 so you just need to set alcohol 120% to that to create a image file. I have one just encase my disc gos kaput. There is also a NO CD C-r-a-c-k around somewhere mark says it fine to use it. I think Big Fat Frosty has it on his site somewhere, if not I have it around here with all my junk. lol

Crissy
Crissy

Postby FixAmer1st on Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:30 pm

Another problem causing the error "No Disk" are the card readers. If you have one installed simply change the letters of your card readers. For example a,b,c,d for f,g,h,i and will work perfectly again.

This courtesy of a fix posted over at LC.

Jerry
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Postby mike58 on Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:43 am

I had the same problem when I got a new PC last year. Links kept asking for the disk (CD) to be inserted. My Links is the CD version (2003). I had not heard about the card reader thing, maybe that's it. But anyway, I solved the problem by leaving a disc in the cd drive that has a few files one it that were burned with the burn software that came with the computer. Now Links (and other programs) work just fine.
mike58

Postby lstucz on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:46 pm

zland wrote:Hi

'Windows - No Disk'

Z

Just to let you know that I get that same message, occasionally. The simplest thing is to just press "continue", as it does inded take you into the game. I play online after that with no problems.

I have a card reader and was careful to install the cables after Windows was formatted. That insured that the drives for the card reader were lettered after all my optical drives. My card reader drives are labeled f, g, h, i. I still get the message. It seems to be some problem with RuKsHuK.

I even went through all the steps a newbie would go through when installing a game new to them, e.g. letting the disc run it's course and playing all the movies after installing the game. Even that did not correct it. Now, I just click on "continue" and don't worry about it, anymore, if I get the message.
Lou
lstucz

Postby FixAmer1st on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:08 pm

lstucz wrote:
zland wrote:Hi

'Windows - No Disk'

Z

Just to let you know that I get that same message, occasionally. The simplest thing is to just press "continue", as it does inded take you into the game. I play online after that with no problems.

I have a card reader and was careful to install the cables after Windows was formatted. That insured that the drives for the card reader were lettered after all my optical drives. My card reader drives are labeled f, g, h, i. I still get the message. It seems to be some problem with RuKsHuK.

I even went through all the steps a newbie would go through when installing a game new to them, e.g. letting the disc run it's course and playing all the movies after installing the game. Even that did not correct it. Now, I just click on "continue" and don't worry about it, anymore, if I get the message.

From what I read it is not just enough to have the Card Reader's drive letters above the optical drives. The post said, "I changed the drive letters from G:, H:, I:, J: to O:, P:, Q: and R: NO MORE ERROR!!".
Originally they also were the last four drives in the drive series. He just added some space after his optical drive letters.

But then a friend of mine has the problem also and just playes his music CD's when playing Links. :D

Jerry
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Postby lstucz on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:35 am

Changing the drive letters from F, G, H, I to L, M, N, O seems to have worked so far. No error when opening or closing.

If I can go a whole week without getting an error, I'll post back on the continued success. I thought I had the closing error eliminated once before, just to have it start back up in 4 or 5 days.
Lou
lstucz

Postby lstucz on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:03 pm

OK, it has been over a week now, and I am happy to report that changing the drive letters on my card reader did, indeed end the check disc request when opening Links.

Thank you, FixAmer1st, for that handy advice.
Lou
lstucz

Postby Hysteria86 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:47 pm

zland wrote:
Anyway first of all i kept getting an error message when i tried to download the patch for v1.05 , saying 'Error opening file for writing' well have got past that now.

I'm having a problem with this, could you describe how you got around it?

Cheers.
Hysteria86

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum