Has Anyone Got Links to Run on Newer Laptops?

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Has Anyone Got Links to Run on Newer Laptops?

Postby IBHackin on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:59 am

I just bought a Lenovo Y700 laptop. It has both onboard Intel Graphics and an AMD Radeon R9-M275X graphics card. I know most laptops will not use the descrete graphics card (My wifes Gateway Phenom laptop does). But was hoping that I could at least run Links with the Intel Graphics. But when I start Links I get to the menu then get the popup saying "Links 2003 has stopped working" and the only option is to close the porgram. A 2nd start will at least get me to the Graphics setting in Links. I did find that if I set links to play in a window it does get a bit further, but have yet to finish a round. Now here is the kicker. I have a USB 3.0 Toshiba docking station and if I connect the laptop, the docking station take over the graphic and I can play a round, but only if its docked. Also the graphic used in Links when docked is "3d Acceleration by DisplayLink USB Devise" Any guidance wuold be greatly appriciated on playing Links undocked, as if I can't get Links to run undocked I might as well send the laptop back.

Thanks

Steve
IBHackin

Re: Has Anyone Got Links to Run on Newer Laptops?

Postby IBHackin on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:58 am

Wow, what a sad testimony for the current laptop being built. I have the above post on multiple sites and not a single reply or recommendation. I guess I'll start the return process on the laptop. It's a shame because it really is a nice computer. It has a 6th Gen i7 Quad core/8 threads, 256g SSD and 1T HDD, 16g memory and the Radeon R9-M275X graphics card for under $800. But it's not much use to me if I can't play Links on it.

Thanks for reading all

Steve
IBHackin

Postby BruceWallace on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:00 am

I would have tried to help you Steve, but I don't have a laptop, or Windows 10. I still run Links on my XP computer.
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
Viet Nam Vet - 1970 - 1971
BruceWallace

Postby IBHackin on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks Bruce. I just find the silence deafening on this topic. I'm trying now to get into Links Corner Forum so I can post there too. But I don't have much hope at this time. But I did find out I have until early next week to process the return. It a shame because it really is a nice laptop, it just won't run Links. :cry:

Steve
IBHackin

Postby B118C on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi Steve. I bought a lap top in Sept of 2015 as a backup and loaded Links on it. First off, here is what I have here: An HP Pavilion, 17.3" screen, 5th generation Intel Core I7-5500u CPU @ 2.4 GHz, with 6 GB of Memory, 750 GB hard drive and it has the integrated graphics - Intel HD Graphics 5500. Cache Memory: 4 MB.

This was Windows 8.1 when I bought this and last July, I had it upgraded to Windows 10.

When I first loaded Links, I had problems with it, in that it crashed on me, and there was no sky showing, only a black or dark green background. I read up on all the forums posted on this stuff and talked with Mark via email about it to get insight.

To condense this reply to you, I ended up REINSTALLING links a 2nd time, doing all the patches from where I had them on a disc that I made in 2010, and I got the sky back this time and the game plays great. The only thing that it doesn't show is some of the trees on the overhead view, but the main screen shows everything.

Under properties, when you right click on the Links Icon, I have the Compatability mode set to Windows 7 and I have check marks in both, the Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings and Run Program as Administrator.

In the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel for 3D, here's the settings I have:
Application Optimal Mode: Check mark is on Enable
Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing: Check mark is on Turn Off
Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing: Check mark is on Turn off
General Settings: Check mark is at Custom Settings
Anisotropic Filtering: Check mark is on Application settings
Vertical Sync: Check mark is on Driver Settings

These settings above are what I put them on when it was Windows 8.1 and with that 2nd Install, everything worked for me. I checked the settings on the lap top, since having it upgraded to Windows 10 and before sending this to you, and the settings are the same.
Anyway, the game plays great on it for me. I hope this helps you out. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
I saw this post and fortunately, I found my correspondence with Mark, via email, in a file, and took a look at it before sending this response to you. :)
Bill
B118C

Postby B118C on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:09 pm

I forgot to add a couple minor things, Steve.
I mainly play on my desk top, so I have only played a few practice rounds on the lap top since having it upgraded.

I tried, when I first got it working back in 2015, to add different Ani players and some different clubs, but for some unknown reason, the game would crash on some of them, but not all. I haven't tinkered with it in that respect, since having it upgraded to Windows 10, so I don't know if that would make a difference or not. With the players I use, the game works great.

Again, I hope this helps and that you get your lap top and Links working great together. :)
Bill
B118C

Postby B118C on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:31 pm

New info for you, Steve.

I just went into my lap top, into Links and clicked on Graphics. Where it shows the sky across the bottom, the entire box that runs across the screen was black, showing no sky. But the game showed the sky when I go into play it. So I decided here to click on another sky, which then showed that different sky across the bottom in the Graphics section, but when I just went into the game to check it, the sky is gone, once again, and shows a dark green screen with a Links 2003 emblem there, instead.
So I may just have to completely uninstall Links again and then reinstall it. :x Not thrilled about that.

So if you have the sky on your game when you play, check the Graphics part of the game in the Options and see if the sky box is blacked out or not. If it is, then don't mess with it.
Bill
B118C

Postby B118C on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Update for you, Steve.

I uninstalled Links 2003 from the lap top, though the files with all the courses, etc, were still there. Then I reinstalled the Links and then reinstalled the LSPN patches 1.02, 1.05. 1.07, NVidia fix and LSPN Crash Fix, from the CD that I made a couple years back.

Fired up the game and I now have a pretty blue sky back when I go to any of the courses I have. When I go into the Graphics section under Options, in the game, the Sky box at the bottom of the screen is, once again, completely black in the box. So I will leave that ALONE. But, the game plays good and the graphics are good.

While it may not run all the bells and whistles that my desk top's game does, it does work overall with Windows 10 and the integrated graphics.

Hope all this helps you out. :)
Bill
B118C

Postby IBHackin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:18 am

Thanks Bill,
I'll give it a try tonight after my shift in th dungeon. :)

Steve
IBHackin

Postby IBHackin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi Bill,
Well I did a reload of Links and with all the patches. Changed the Intel Video setting as you recommended and I WAS able to play not one but 3 full rounds without issue. Then I connected the laptop to the docking station and was able to play there too. So I owe you my friend. If you make it down to east coast of central Florida let me know I owe you a beer or two or whatever your favorite drink is. I was ready to pack this thing up and sent it back, but it looks like it will now serve its purpose. I was really surprised how smooth the swing meter was and some pretty fast redraws too. Very happy with the results. Thanks again for the follow up on this. Your post may be something the admins here may want to lock for other trying to do the same.

Hit em str8

Steve
IBHackin

Postby B118C on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi Steve,
I read your response and your wonderful results and I am very happy for you !! :D I love it when things come together and great results follow. I was talking on the phone to my son when I read your great post here and shared the whole thread with him and he thought it was cool that I was able to help someone like this and happy for your results, too. He also said that you got a great deal on your lap top, all that you have in it for just $800. :)

I'm glad that I could be of some help here for you. I know that in the past, some other Linksters gave me some good advice and insight when I had my previous computer, in the last decade, which I really appreciated.

Don't know if I would ever get down your way or not in sunny Florida, but I appreciate your offer, too. If I do, I give you a heads up. :)
Bill
B118C

Postby Bassmaster on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:22 pm

So Steve, with you up and running good then that means trouble for the rest of us? LOL
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby IBHackin on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:57 am

Maybe, maybe not, I've been shooting my Ammy rounds with the new laptop connected to my docking station. Thing are a bit different and I'm trying to get use to it. The biggest change is the swing meter, Links will not give me the smaller swing meter, so dealing with the big one. But I think it's something I can get used to. But bottom snap is not there yet, so playing my Pro rounds will be interesting. Just really happy Bill helped to the configuration of the graphics. The graphics is not as good as my desktop going through the docking station. But undocked it is on par with my desktop. If anyone is looking for a laptop I would recommend the Lenovo Y700 series. Mine is the 14.5" display, a 4 core/8 thread i7, has 16g memory and dual drives. One 256g SSD and a 1t HDD. I partitioned the SSD into 2 drive so I have all my courses on the 2nd partition, with the OS on the primary partition on the SSD. Will use the HDD for things like Outlook .pst and other apps data area, along with backups. Cost was $800. The only thing the laptop doesn't have is a DVD\CD drive. Cost was $800. But I have a portable one I plugged into the docking station.

See ya on the LInks Rick

Steve
IBHackin

Postby goofey on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:41 am

Many thanks Bill for your solution which has enabled me to keep playing Links 2003 on a new HP All in One with integrated Intel graphics. Your suggestions worked for me too. The only problem I have is that the overhead view no longer shows the aiming stick nor the ball as well as the absence of trees etc. At least it is now possible to complete a round without the dreaded error messages and crashes I was experiencing.

Geoff
goofey

Postby B118C on Thu May 04, 2017 7:49 pm

You are very welcome, Geoff. My lap top is the same way as yours, in that in the overhead camera view, while it shows the hole layout, it doesn't show the trees and the aiming stick and ball are missing. You can still use that view to aim, putting your cursor or tee on a spot and click it, but yeah, a few of the bells and whistles that aren't there.
Good thing is that the main screen looks good and normal and the game plays good.

Glad to have helped. :D
Bill
B118C

Next

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum