How to rehab an old video card??

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

How to rehab an old video card??

Postby BirdieExpress on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:58 pm

I have an old GForce4 64 RAM card that I pulled out of a dead machine. I installed it on my main machine but it runs extremely rough. I cleaned the fan out the best I could and reinstalled and it still sounds terrible (really terrible, the whirring sound surges back and forth like someboy keeps gassing the engine). Is there a way to rehab a fan so it runs like new again??? Besides the fan, do other parts of the card ever wear out? Apologies in advance for being video-card challenged.
BirdieExpress

Postby terrell on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:46 am

i used to have a 3dfx voodoo5 that would peel paint off the walls. so i'd take it out, take the 4 little, teeny, tiny screws that held the 2 fans together, blow all the dust (can you imagine that's what we breathe constantly?) off it with a can of compressed air, then put a drop of very light oil (i used the oil that came with my shredder) on the fan spindle. quiet enough for church use for another 3 months.

edit: great place to find drivers and instructions for properly uninstalling the old and installing the new:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=0e6a520a8fecbbe4c05287ac74590f22&t=67799

edit #2: oh yeah, and be very careful if you use a vacuum cleaner to clean the dust off the little gray filter material. it's not fun tearing the vacuum cleaner bag open to recover them (not that that would actually happen to anyone).
terrell

Postby BirdieExpress on Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:13 am

Sounds like a winning idea, assuming I can figure out how to take it apart. Do you think a little WD40 qualifies as light oil?
BirdieExpress

Postby terrell on Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:31 am

BirdieExpress wrote:Sounds like a winning idea, assuming I can figure out how to take it apart. Do you think a little WD40 qualifies as light oil?

lol. i'm not quite sure what effect wd40 might have. you only want a drop. maybe spray wd40 on something that will allow you to put one drop on the spindle. spray your bicycle chain, then let the last drop fall on the spindle. waste not want not.

you will definitely have no trouble taking it apart. it's putting it back together is the challenge. j/k
terrell

Postby txTarHeel on Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:24 am

terrell wrote:...

edit #2: oh yeah, and be very careful if you use a vacuum cleaner to clean the dust off the little gray filter material. it's not fun tearing the vacuum cleaner bag open to recover them (not that that would actually happen to anyone).

LOL! This is where those cans of compressed air come in quite handy, T.
txTarHeel

Postby terrell on Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:43 am

txTarHeel wrote:LOL! This is where those cans of compressed air come in quite handy, T.

i hear ya there. i had compressed air and a vacuum. 'nother thing ya wanna be careful about is those spinning brushes on the bottom of the vacuum cleaner. pppfffttt! how was i s'posed to know about attachments? i mean, hypothetically speaking of course. 08=
terrell

Postby BirdieExpress on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:31 pm

I took my computer to church today.... nobody knew. 8) Thanks for the tips terrell.
BirdieExpress

Postby terrell on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:37 pm

BirdieExpress wrote:I took my computer to church today.... nobody knew. 8) Thanks for the tips terrell.

you're very welcome, be. back on the ol' 3dfx forums, that was THE hot topic for quite awhile.
terrell

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum