Too Many Crashes Under Windows 10

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Too Many Crashes Under Windows 10

Postby wsdave on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:01 am

I have been running Windows 10 for quite some time but I have also experienced way too many crashes during the game which ends up being disqualified.
I remember seeing (quite awhile back) about ensuring the video card used is listed in the videocard.txt file. I found, and followed, instructions concerning Intel Graphics Adapters and followed those instructions. My problem is my card isn't listed in said file anywhere.
I'm running an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with the latest drivers (15.201.1151.1008 dated 11/4/2015). My DXDIAG log says that the device ID is 0x6779 with the card name of AMD RADEON HD 6450.
There is no listing for AMD in the videocard.txt file and I cannot find any device ID of 0x6779.
Do I simply append this information to the end of the videocard.txt file? What other information do I need?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
My "other" alternative is to connect with my XP laptop.
Thanks for taking the time!
Dave
wsdave

Re: Too Many Crashes Under Windows 10

Postby rwoodworkr on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:25 am

I dabbled with Windows 10 on a couple of desktops, and I constantly had issues with older video cards. I tried several different ones (can't remember models), and finally came to the conclusion that Windows 10 and Links just didn't work well with certain cards. Hopefully someone here can point you to a card that works well (dependent on your other hardware of course).
rwoodworkr

Postby Mississippi on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:01 am

The chances your crashing problems are video related are about 1 million to 1. Sound and server connection crashes are the norm with links and newer computers. Take the advice in this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10771 try it for a couple weeks and report back to us. By the way... my Radeon R9 card isn't in links videocardtxt file either... but has played just fine every round i've ever played on this computer.
Mississippi

Postby wsdave on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:09 am

Thanks Mississippi.
I saw that too but was a bit concern with shutting off all sounds but I'm willing to try anything at this point!
I will report back on the results.
Thanks again
wsdave

Postby wsdave on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:35 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that my system hasn't had ANY problem(s) after two weeks of playing with no sound! :D
I would have never thought that the sound scripts would play havoc with my Windows 10 system.
Thanks Mississippi for the heads up and the fix!
Dave
wsdave

Postby Mississippi on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:15 pm

Good to read Dave...Now that you know where the crashes occur i will tell you how to get your sound back if you want it, but be forewarned it is a long and tedious task.
Fire up links... go to sound options... hit the edit a sound script tab. Now you have to go thru each and every wav. listed under every heading in every sound script individually, edit and test each one, and delete the problem ones.
This problem with links started the day XP was released by Microsoft in October 2001 and has not been addressed by Microsoft in any OS released since, even tho they were the ones who owned the game at the time and knew the problem was present.
Mississippi

Postby BruceWallace on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Mississippi wrote:Good to read Dave...Now that you know where the crashes occur i will tell you how to get your sound back if you want it, but be forewarned it is a long and tedious task.
Fire up links... go to sound options... hit the edit a sound script tab. Now you have to go thru each and every wav. listed under every heading in every sound script individually, edit and test each one, and delete the problem ones.
This problem with links started the day XP was released by Microsoft in October 2001 and has not been addressed by Microsoft in any OS released since, even tho they were the ones who owned the game at the time and knew the problem was present.

First, the only reason that anyone would go to Windows 10 is if they are a phablet person. Otherwise, there is no reason to move up from Win 7.

2nd, by 2001, Microsoft was losing money on Links, just like they did on their Microsoft golf game years earlier. When Access owned it, they made money, and kicked Microsoft's as*, so Microsoft bought out Access in 1998 or 1999. Microsoft had way more overhead than Access did, so they once again failed. The folks who bought it from Microsoft, bought it for a write-off. They did nothing for the game.

For what the linksters did to get to the point we are now, was worth more money than I spent on all of the Access versions, and courses, from the beginning of Links. They never charged us a cent for the resolutions we have now. I can't thank them enough.
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
Viet Nam Vet - 1970 - 1971
BruceWallace

Postby Mississippi on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:38 pm

BruceWallace wrote:
First, the only reason that anyone would go to Windows 10 is if they are a phablet person. Otherwise, there is no reason to move up from Win 7.

2nd, by 2001, Microsoft was losing money on Links, just like they did on their Microsoft golf game years earlier. When Access owned it, they made money, and kicked Microsoft's as*, so Microsoft bought out Access in 1998 or 1999. Microsoft had way more overhead than Access did, so they once again failed. The folks who bought it from Microsoft, bought it for a write-off. They did nothing for the game.

For what the linksters did to get to the point we are now, was worth more money than I spent on all of the Access versions, and courses, from the beginning of Links. They never charged us a cent for the resolutions we have now. I can't thank them enough.

Anyone who buys a new PC is getting windows 10 whether they are a phablet person or not unless they build it themselves. The only reason Microsoft was brought up at all was to explain the timeline of when us veteran linksters realized the issues of evolving OS's were putting on the game. Its easy to remember when those who were getting new computers 15 years ago with Xp would drop out like dead flies anytime someone played a wav when playing multiplayer. I think Microsoft thought the zone would put EA Sports on the ropes and make them billions, but it didn't happen so they pulled the plug. As far as the graphic advances goes... that part was inevitable. When technology is available people are going to figure out how to use it.

A lot of us were playing @ the yahoo group Greenkeeps (you and I included) when we learned how to keep the Xp players in the game by editing our wavs. We should hook up on DC sometime and catch up Bruce....but after dinner so you make it to the 5th hole and beyond :D
Mississippi

Postby BruceWallace on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:41 am

Mississippi wrote:
BruceWallace wrote:
[snip]

A lot of us were playing @ the yahoo group Greenkeeps (you and I included) when we learned how to keep the Xp players in the game by editing our wavs. We should hook up on DC sometime and catch up Bruce....but after dinner so you make it to the 5th hole and beyond :D

I do remember being summoned for supper many times. :D
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
BruceWallace

Postby wsdave on Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:01 am

Thanks again Mississippi for the sound editor info however, I think that will wait when I can find the time to do it - maybe when I retire in a couple of years :roll:
I'm thinking this *may* be the issue my friend and I are having with Game Ranger as we are unable to connect. We had no problem(s) when I was running Windows 7. I use my laptop, Windows XP, to play on Sunday mornings. I will have to try to connect on my desktop later.
As far as the upgrade Bruce - I foolishly listened to my son when he urged me to upgrade from windows 7. I "usually" waited until service pack 3 or greater to do upgrades in the past. I haven't had any other issues, other than Links, so I've been happy with the OS as a whole. Sometimes we just have to advance and keep up with technology! :wink:
Anyway - thanks for the help and comments.
Dave
wsdave

Postby gibby on Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:18 am

Just my take on this, may not be a bad sound file but could be 2 or more sounds trying to play at the same time.
I have the sound turned off in the player option while using the TKS2011 or TKS 2010 file.
Attachments
sounds.jpg
sounds.jpg (111.01 KB) Viewed 27527 times
sounds1.jpg
sounds1.jpg (75.69 KB) Viewed 27587 times
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby wsdave on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks Gibby for your input. I looked at my sound settings and the only option I have for the sound scripts in main and Tournament is Tournament as I don't have TKSfall2001.
My other problem was that my system would "lock-up" when trying to open the initial Links 2003 splash screen and play the introduction music. So I was having in game and pre game problems.
I'm thinking of installing a separate sound card and getting the sound control off of my motherboard. For around $50 it might be a reasonable option.
wsdave

Postby BruceWallace on Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:33 pm

wsdave wrote:Thanks Gibby for your input. I looked at my sound settings and the only option I have for the sound scripts in main and Tournament is Tournament as I don't have TKSfall2001.
My other problem was that my system would "lock-up" when trying to open the initial Links 2003 splash screen and play the introduction music. So I was having in game and pre game problems.
I'm thinking of installing a separate sound card and getting the sound control off of my motherboard. For around $50 it might be a reasonable option.

So, all of the other options, in Gibby's attached picture, are checked? What happens if you UNCHECK all of them?
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
BruceWallace

Postby wsdave on Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi Bruce,
The answer to your question is no - the only box that is checked is Main Sound Scripts Sounds. Main Sound Script for Normal and Tournament play are set to none. I've played this way for two weeks without any problems, pre game or during play.
Since this issue "seems" to be revolving around the sound files I've decided to try another avenue so to speak by installing a separate sound card and not using the onboard sound. I'm thinking :roll: that by eliminating the onboard sound devices and using a separate device will "cure" the problem. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
I took Mississippi's advice and went through some of the sound files without finding anything unusual as they all sounded fine.
(why on earth you need at least 2 dozen applause files is beyond me).
Anyway - I'm hoping this will solve the issue. That way I can move onto the next problem I seem to have with playing online with my friend. Game Ranger isn't playing nice with my Windows 10 box but plays fine on XP laptop.
One problem at a time!
Thanks again
Dave
wsdave

Postby BruceWallace on Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:46 pm

Please let us know what happens when you install a dedicated sound card.
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
BruceWallace

Next

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum