Questions about updates, fixes, and scores

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Questions about updates, fixes, and scores

Postby kfriend on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:17 pm

I have had just about every issue of Links with the latest being 2003. I play the tournaments quite a bit, but have always had the problem of Skins games not terminating properly. I started playing on-line and looking at some of the forum issues. I have installed all the "Fixes" that have been offered, but still have the same issue in tournament play. To be more accurate:

1. after the last stroke on the 18th hole, I get an Invalid String I.D.
2. the game restarts on the tee of the 18th hole
3. if I ever do get to the scorecard, I get a quivering pointer and the game hangs
4. the only way I can get out of the loop is to withdraw from the tournament
5. nothing is recorded
6. the next tournament comes up like it should.

How in the world do on-line players score 80+ under par in 4 round tournament?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give...

KJF
kfriend

Postby terrell on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:33 pm

try a couple of the tournaments at the test site to see if you have the same problem sending stats. at the main site, i generally have to wait about 15 seconds, but eventually stats get sent. at the test, it's almost immediately.

the guys scoring better than 80 under are cheating.
terrell

Postby kfriend on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks for the reply - I want to make sure I have correctly stated the problem.

This problem occurs under the "Links Career" tournaments that I play off-line. Patch 1.05 was supposed to provide a remedy. It did not in my case.

I have only tried a few of the on-line tournaments, but never any that involved skins. I don't know if the problem would show up there or not and elected not to try just in case there was a problem that could be passed on from my PC.

I am an old Systems Manager so I proceed with caution until I know what I am looking for and need to find. What should I look for when trying the test site tournaments? I don't want to lock up your system.

I will wait for your reply before I move forward. Thanks again for the help....

Don't the 80+ under kinda water-down the enthusiasm for would-be players?

KJF
kfriend

Postby terrell on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:16 pm

hmmm, i've been here from the beginning, and i've never tried career mode. the concept doesn't interest me. however, jousting with these guys on a daily basis...

your concern for infecting mark hulka's site is admirable. however, i think anyone running a gaming site takes into account the possibilities. if he'll allow me to connect...

i used to say there are only two types of linksters. gamers and golfers. however, you belong to a segment i've never really considered. gamers play under the most benign conditions, the ultimate score being their goal. golfers consider links a simulation, and wish to pit their skills as they would an irl golf course. neither is right or wrong, links simply provides an avenue for winding down at the end of the day.
terrell

Postby kfriend on Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:19 pm

The first copy of Links I had came on floppies. The second also came on floppies. I was managing a CAD/CAM system at the time and was facinated with the graphics that had been acheived in Links. I have upgraded with each new release and played literally "by myself" choosing not to joust with others. It became a great way to end the day. I can shoot 50 under farely regularly on Innsbrook Copperhead from the back tees. At 63 years old, I WANNA JOUST!

But first, I'd like to fix my problem with Skins in Carrer Mode.

I know this is a technical forum, but a little levity can't hurt once in a while....

KJF
kfriend

Postby canuck on Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:07 pm

ask here http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewforum. ... 2d37311270
more players there probaly play carrer mode. im sure the problem you are having is a known problem , it is best to search or ask over there at links corner.
chris
canuck

Postby BionicWolf on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:38 pm

if I remeber correctly there WAS an issue with 2003 career mode and they issued a patch...I think the link is here:
http://linkscountryclub.com/LinksCCPC/Downloads/
EDIT- Yep- right on top-K...friend.
Hope it helps...and try MatchMaker!
Keep the fire...and by all means, SHINE ON
BionicWolf

Postby kfriend on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:43 am

Thanks a lot folks! I did find the patch and have installed it. I'll just have to wait until a career mode tournament schedule another skins game for me to find out if it works. I will post the results just in case others encounter the same issue.

Once again, thanks to everyone! I'll come back from time to time to see how the jousting is going.......

KJF
kfriend

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum