Windows 10

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Windows 10

Postby oldcollegeguy on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:21 pm

I hope someone can help me.

I bought a new desktop computer and it came with Windows 10. I was not concerned as I had download it on my previous computer and it worked flawlessly.

However, with the new purchase, the sky graphics are mostly not there, the aiming stick does not show up in the secondary windows, the tracer does not show up in the secondary windows and a couple of other little things that are different.

The biggest problem is that the game crashes after two, three or four holes. I have tried some different courses and the crashes happens consistently.

I tried different graphics setting, I downloaded a new driver for the graphics card.

The computer is an HP Slimline 410-019 Desktop PC (Intel Core i7-4790T processor/ 1TB HDD/ 8GB RAM/ Windows 10) with a Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 graphics card.

When the game crashes this is the message that is received -

"Only power of 2 textures up to 1024*1024 supported (8,8) '>257006432.TGA'"

Any assistance is appreciated

Roy - oldcollegeguy
oldcollegeguy

Re: Windows 10

Postby gibby on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:48 am

I have to lean towards the Intel graphics card being the issues not W10. My newer Dell W7 with I think the same 4600 card gave me fits. Tried drivers, resolution settings, turn off skies, turn off shadows and could never get thru a round. Finally added a $30.00 nivida card and works great. Had same type problems, skies turned off but the sky looked like a checkerboard of colors, ball flight wasn't seen in main camera, the distance stick would show every now and then, biggest issue was on greens where stick and hole disappeared at times.
I know some have Intel card and works fine, maybe someone will offer up the settings they are using to help.
And I paid about $350.00 for the desktop kindda knowing the chances of the Intel was 50/50 of working and thinking I would need to install another card just to play Links.
Also I upgraded to W10 after installing new card and Links worked great with both. I just had to revert back to W7 for other reasons.
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Re: Windows 10

Postby Armand on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:30 am

As gibby mentions, it's most likely the video card causing the issues you see.

Read and follow the instructions at this link to see if it helps: https://www.linkscountryclub.com/help/intel-windows-7-8
(although it doesn't mention Win10, the same process should work in Win10)

Failing that, some people have had luck reducing the resolution and graphics detail in the game - I might suggest that isn't an acceptable solution, but it is a personal decision.

Others have been able to get Links to work by (I think) playing in Safe Mode. I'm not sure what resolutions are feasible in Safe Mode, but it could be an option for you. Further to this, disabling the graphics driver - and using a generic Windows one - also may be an option. Check out the following post at LinksCorner.org: http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32951

Failing these and possibly the best solution would be, if you can, purchase and install either an ATI/AMD or an nVidia dedicated graphics card to the computer.
Armand

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum