Transfer from PC to PC

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Transfer from PC to PC

Postby Hammerfest on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:02 am

Hello,
is there a way to transfer a complete running Links2003 from one PC to another without new install procedure?
Just got a PC with a better graphic card than the one I used for Links 2003 until now.
Links is on the "old" PC in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003 with all dll´s, idb´s or exe´s.
Any tip to avoid endless loading?

Hammerfest
Hammerfest

Re: Transfer from PC to PC

Postby gibby on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:32 am

Don't think you can just bring game over, could copy saved shots, player ani's and other files.
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby Mississippi on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:00 am

gibby wrote:Don't think you can just bring game over, could copy saved shots, player ani's and other files.

Yeah like the course file. The endless loading one :lol:
About a decade ago i bought a external 1 terabyte harddrive. It has been a invaluable tool for loading new computers.
Mississippi

Postby gibby on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:09 am

Mississippi wrote:
gibby wrote:Don't think you can just bring game over, could copy saved shots, player ani's and other files.

Yeah like the course file. The endless loading one :lol:
About a decade ago i bought a external 1 terabyte harddrive. It has been a invaluable tool for loading new computers.

same here, all my courses are on external and an usb drive just incase
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby rwoodworkr on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:43 pm

Hammerfest wrote:Hello,
is there a way to transfer a complete running Links2003 from one PC to another without new install procedure?
Just got a PC with a better graphic card than the one I used for Links 2003 until now.
Links is on the "old" PC in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003 with all dll´s, idb´s or exe´s.
Any tip to avoid endless loading?

Hammerfest

I've reinstalled Links quite a few times over the years from my original disks, and I don't think it's ever taken more than 5 or 10 mins., even with all the patches. But as stated, courses can take a long time to load, so wherever you have them located, depending on how many, they can take a while to transfer.
Having said that, I have copied all the Links folders and files from a desktop over to a laptop, and even though I was told this wouldn't work, it ran perfectly fine and still does. I guess there's only one way to find out. Give it a shot.
rwoodworkr

Postby Hammerfest on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:43 am

first of all, sorry. I forgot to tell you that all the courses are on another HD, That´s not the problem lol.
Naaa, I only asked for a possible and simple solution to bring the program files for Links2k3 from
PC A to PC B.

@ rwoods: i did what you wrote and gave it a chance. Procedure like you described it and >> successfull !!!
The program is running on PC B now. I´ve only to give it a link to the courses on the extern HD.

Tnx to all for the communication. Everything was helpfull to bring my brain forward lol.

Hammerfest
Hammerfest

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum