ATI Radeon HD 4350

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

ATI Radeon HD 4350

Postby Harpo on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:04 pm

I was wondering if anyone is using this Video Card? I have been using for a long time a Nvidia GeForce 9500 GS on a Windows XP PC. I bought this card a long time ago and could never get it to work.

I have had spotting crashes on certain courses. I have not completed many tourneys because on the second crash I have to take penalty strokes and don't want to win or beat any of my fellow players by taking any. I am running in Windows XP compadible mode.

Sometimes after the first crash I will finish the tourney on my Dell laptop running Windows 7 but hate using that small screen. :) I am using the Intel(R) HD Graphics on it.

Any suggestions?
Jim
Harpo

Re: ATI Radeon HD 4350

Postby Mississippi on Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:39 pm

I've been using ATI cards for over 15 years with links without issues Jim, besides...most crashes are sound related. Pop the card in, install the drivers from the disk, then go to ati's website and let them choose the drivers to install with their handy little detection tool . add the card to the videotxt file if its not already listed before you play. If you play offline with only the sounds of the golf ball i bet your crashes disappear.
Mississippi

Postby BruceWallace on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:34 pm

Harpo, ATI cards have worked in Links with no problems, outside of any ATI card, in the past 5 or 6 years, will not allow you to have translucent shadows on your ani. It became a deal breaker for me, so I went back to a Nvidia card.

For most things, ATI is a far superior video card than the Nvidia card, but for Links, the ATI card is trash, in comparison to the Nvidia card.
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
Viet Nam Vet - 1970 - 1971
BruceWallace

Postby Harpo on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:14 am

Tks guys. I have turned off all sound but the "Main Sound Scripts". I just hear the club hitting the ball. I played one tourney OK but that has happened before on certain courses. I will keep playing until I see another crash. Will keep you posted.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Harpo on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:45 pm

I have played 5 tourneys now (20 rds) and no crashes since I turned the sound off except for the club hitting the ball. I think I have solved my problem. (knock on wood)
Jim
Harpo

Postby BruceWallace on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Harpo wrote:I have played 5 tourneys now (20 rds) and no crashes since I turned the sound off except for the club hitting the ball. I think I have solved my problem. (knock on wood)

That is good news! I have had all sounds turned off, just like you. I do get crashes every once in awhile, but there are a number of course that won't even load up in Links. They crash immediately.
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
Viet Nam Vet - 1970 - 1971
BruceWallace

Postby Mississippi on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Harpo wrote:I have played 5 tourneys now (20 rds) and no crashes since I turned the sound off except for the club hitting the ball. I think I have solved my problem. (knock on wood)

8)
Mississippi

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum