Graphic Card Issue with New Laptop

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: Graphic Card Issue with New Laptop

Postby IBHackin on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:27 pm

Yea, nothing seems to be working to get Links to run on my nVidea card. I still can't play links though. I don't get but a shot and it crashes. Am going of to Links Corner for some reading.
IBHackin

Postby gibby on Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:55 am

So your Nvidia control panel doesn't offer the option to choose which card to use for Links? That the video shows?
And the post above the video offers this
"I had the same problem. Using the nvdida settings to force programs to use specific graphics cards does not work for everyone. So just right click on the icon of your game and there is a "[b]run with graphics card" option. Choose your graphics card here. And your done. Game should work fine after this."

So if you right click on the Links icon and select Nvidia also isn't available?

edit: I know 1 thing I'd be pis sed if I bought a laptop that had multiple cards that was supposed to work for games and It didn't work.
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby IBHackin on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks again Gibby, but no luck, tried all the recommendations. I have only been able to finish one round of Links on the laptp. I've tried no less than 12 - 15 time to either resume or start a round and all I get is crash after crash. I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but I'm not a Windows guy. I support big Unix and Linux server and this Windows stuff is frustrating. The good new is for $30 I found a compatible, but upgrade to my dead motherboard and I put the beast back in operations this morning. So this old sweetie will be my full time Links onlys mashine and then I'll use the laptop for everything else. Got the laptop hooked up to a USB Docking station, then have a 2 port KVM between the Old Beast and the Docking station. So only 1 keybooard and mouse for both. Should get me hitting the Links again soon.

Steve
IBHackin

Postby gibby on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:09 am

Best of Luck! To bad it didn't work.
gibby

Postby BruceWallace on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:25 am

Gibby, do you have a laptop with both an onboard chip and a dedicated video card? If so, do you have the dedicated video card available for Links?
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
Viet Nam Vet - 1970 - 1971
BruceWallace

Postby gibby on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:40 am

No Bruce, my Acer w/ Intel laptop took a dump last year & bought a Dell desktop with Intel and had to add Nvidia card to get Links to play correctly.
gibby

Postby Armand on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:40 am

Steve, try turning off the compatibility mode, and just run it normally. I don't have Links set to run with any compatibility on my Win 10 desktop. Also, the response I just made at KissTours is irrelevant given the advice provided here is essentially the same as I suggested.
Armand

Postby IBHackin on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:14 am

Well the saga of the laptop is over. After putting untold hours into it I never was able to get Links running well enough to play 2 holes. I have sent the laptop back for a refund this morning. I even attempted to install Windows 7 on it and that just opened another can of worm. But the straw that broke the camels back was Toshiba's Tech Support. Here I have a new laptop, only 3 weeks old and they have a document in front of them that gives the steps to solve my Windows 7 problem and they attempt to charge me $100 for the document. I've worked in the IT industry for over 42 years and to support your customers by extorting extra money out of them just pushed me over the edge. I could see the charge if I had used the laptop for a long period of time. So a word to everyone thinking of going to a laptop stay far, far away from Toshiba.

Steve

P.S. Fix my old desktop PC with a replacement motherboard that took all of my existing components and a new video card. Total dollar spent was around $100. Mother board was only $30 after rebate and I already have the rebate check. :D
IBHackin

Postby stvn6165 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Good you got it resolved...

IBHackin wrote: So a word to everyone thinking of going to a laptop stay far, far away from Toshiba.

Couldn't agree more. I got so mad at mine, I didn't even bother to salvage the HD in the ******* thing.
I took it out to the range, placed it at 100 yds and blasted it about ten times.
Nothing but slivers of silver metal and plastic left over when finished...that's one way to "erase" a hard drive... :lol:
stvn6165

Previous

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum