connecting to the Links Tour

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

connecting to the Links Tour

Postby TPAnderson on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:30 pm

I got a new computer running Windows 7 so I installed Links2K3 and it was very different but I tried to adjust and was making progress albeit slow. Then my new computer automatically " upgraded " to Windows 8.1 and graphics were completely messed up e.g....I would only have half a swing meter etc. I decided to reinstall Links 2K3 on my old computer. Game plays the same as always except I cannot connect to the Links Tour. I have tried all combinations of connections and nothing works. I can connect to the Internet...Yahoo Messenger...SKYPE and play other online games but not to the Links Tour. I have a LINKSYS router and infinity Wi-Fi for internet connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
TPAnderson

Re: connecting to the Links Tour

Postby Armand on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:05 am

I think the issue may be a simple server switch, which I think can be done manually in the registry or via a patch. Have a look at my post here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8533#p72333

and then look specifically at the LSPN Server Switch and the LSPN View Conditions Crash fixes.

As for Win 8.1 only showing half of your swing meter, it's probably related to DPI settings of your monitor. Win 8.1 automatically applies DPI scaling when it sees a "high" resolution and that messes up Links. To correct this behaviour, right-click on the Links icon and choose Properties. From the Compatibility tab, check the box next to "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and that should resolve the display/scaling issue within the game.
Armand

Postby FixAmer1st on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:54 am

Armand,
TP Anderson said, "Then my new computer automatically " upgraded " to Windows 8.1".

I am running two computers using Win7 and would not like this to happen.

Does Win7 " automatically upgraded "?

I certainly would NOT what this to happen.

Jerry
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Postby Armand on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:23 am

Jerry,

I can't really comment on automatic upgrades from Win 7 to Win 8.1, as I don't have knowledge/experience with it.

However, there is a similar issue with Win 7, Win 8, or Win 8.1 that they periodically check back with Microsoft (automagically) to see if Windows 10 has been released (most users probably have this "check" installed and you can see it in Task Manager called GWX.exe). I can only assume that once Win 10 is released, users would be presented with an option to upgrade to Win 10, rather than just having it happen. To be certain that doesn't automagically happen to me, I've uninstalled (and hidden) the Windows Update for KB3035583. You can disable this check for Windows 10 (if you choose) by reading and following the directions on this web page:
https://tweakhound.com/2015/04/08/gwx-get-windows-10/

I only discovered this when I recently investigated my Win 8.1 machine pauses and researched the GWX.exe that I didn't recognize in my Task Manager.

I'm guessing that what TPAnderson experienced was a result of Windows Updates that are automatically downloaded and installed - the default for Windows setups. I believe all Win 8.0 would automagically be updated to 8.1, but it's not really a new operating system - it's just updates to 8.0. I think I've heard others mention that Win 7 was updated to 8.1 without their consent, but I really didn't pay much attention to it. It hasn't happened to my Win 7 (32bit) installation, and I have installed (by choice) all of the Windows updates that have been presented on my Win 7 machine. My set up is for me to be notified of the update but I will choose whether to download and install the update. You can see what the updates do by searching the KB# on the web, but sometimes that simply leads to more and more digging about the update (like KB3035583 and https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583 ). Frankly, most people won't have the inclination to keep digging to see what such updates do.

My suggested solution for preventing unwanted automagic updates of your OS is turn off the automatic download and installation of said updates. You'll then have to turn off the incessant warnings by Windows Defender that "Automatic Updates aren't enabled" or something similar (or tell Windows Defender to not warn you about that anymore). You may also have to dig into each update more thoroughly before deciding whether to install it or not. All-in-all, it's just more work for the end user. Not a great solution ....

Armand
Armand

Postby FixAmer1st on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks for the info Armand.
From what I have heard about it, I would not mind an update to Win10. But Win8, NEVER. :D :D

Jerry
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Postby BruceWallace on Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:56 pm

I know that a lot of folks will say that I am a mean ornery, old man, and the would be right. But, anyone, who puts Windows 8/8.1, (the OS for phablet people), deserves what they get.

I am hoping that Windows 10 actually offers something for folks who still like a PC.
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
Viet Nam Vet - 1970 - 1971
BruceWallace

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum